The Beyerdynamic DT250 Thread
Sep 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #286 of 1,049
Not love on first sight perhaps, but a great long-term relationship.

+1

Recently discovered how much the source/DAC can impact on DT250 250 soundstage width and shape... One of its main shortcomings for me on an unsympathetic setup. Also, it does respond to an amp with authority.

Best

James

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #287 of 1,049
Can anyone who loves the DT250 comment on what they thought about about the Beyer T70? I just saw a frequency graph for the T70 which seems to have an amazingly flat line in the sub bass area.

Sep 9, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #288 of 1,049
I haven't heard the T70 but I have to say that the AKG K550 seems to me like a great upgrade from the DT250. It is also a very neutral headphone that is focused on clarity but it is more extended in both the bass and the treble. It aso has a far superior soundstage. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #291 of 1,049
Some people report having fit issues with the K550. When the fit is not optimal, bass quantity is decreased and they can sound cold and fatiguing. If you are able to get a good fit though, they are very neutral and not fatiguing at all, while still being extremely clear. 

And indeed, I am comparing it with the 250 Ohm version. The 80 Ohm version has more of a mid-bass emphasis than the K550.
Quote:
So the k550 isn't fatiguing to listen to long term? Also are you comparing it with the 250 ohm version?

Sep 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #292 of 1,049
Interesting you brought up the K550, have been looking into these. The price of these cans has come down and may well be a strong contender.

I see that in the above linked DT250 review thread, it has been mentioned that "Its only sonic flaw is that the notes sound a bit too soft at times leading to a more diffuse presentation". When I had the DT150, I thought it was musical and enjoyable but had the same issue sometimes.

I just take a wild guess, the K550 would be more precise and detailed of the two ? How would they compare in terms of mid-range tonality ?

Quote:
I haven't heard the T70 but I have to say that the AKG K550 seems to me like a great upgrade from the DT250. It is also a very neutral headphone that is focused on clarity but it is more extended in both the bass and the treble. It aso has a far superior soundstage. 

Sep 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #293 of 1,049
I agree that the K550s can be challenging to get the right fit, with the result for me that they ended up being quite bass-light and thin sounding.

I sold the K550s and bought a pair of DT770 Pro 250ohm.  I enjoy them and the fit is great and comfortable.  I do miss the nice mids of the AKG though.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #294 of 1,049
I have the DT250... they don't hold a candle against my ESP-950... soundstage is soso, bass is soso, mid is colorated and not ultra defined but liquid sounding, high is good but not airy, they squeeze the head to much.. beside those negative, they are comfy and while colorated they sound very very good for the price...

they can be very very good with an EQ or well situated analog bass boost..and even better with a good headphone amp that will help the soundstage.. they don't sound harsh at all and they have very good high while not being very airy...

I guess nothing beat electrostats for airy fast defined top frequencies.. while bass of the ESP-950 is good.. it's still missing a little is the subbass region and i don't think EQ would work on electrostats but i never tried.. I don't think the E90 amp included do them justice..

I think the DT250 could be a lot better if modded with semi open bigger cup and some dynamat.. the bass would be a lot better..

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #297 of 1,049
You guys are ruining the appreciation thread LOL What the dt880 is crap compared to the dt250-250! I have yet to find a headphone better regardless of price.

Sep 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #298 of 1,049
Quote:
Lets get back to the DT250 :)

Have people been modding these in any way? I modded mine slightly by cutting the coiled cable and attaching a female mini-jack socket. Obviously, this mod does not affect the sound in any way. Are there any other mods out there that people have been trying out?

I forgot about this thread. It seems to only come up if you google search rather than internal search headfi.
I posted in the main full size headphone forum but I should have went here instead. 
I could't delete the old post so here are my mods:

I have beyerdynamic DT250 headphones: 45mm drivers 250Ohms 100mW 97dB
I sealed off the cup exhaust ports and covered the cups with acoustic foam to maximize isolation
and tighten up the bass that was dark, overpowering and slow to release. The ports and the backs
of each magnet got blue tak. Comparing the isolation with earplugs and other headphones
I went from 10dB stock isolation to 15dB. To get any higher I'd probably need pleather covered
thick foam pads.

After the changes they sounded bright and bass light on a low power amp. However, plugged to the
headphone out of my Sherwood S-7200 solid state receiver they created a bass impact that moved
massive air pressure. It almost felt like the cans were hovering over my cheeks. Heavy bass or
percussive snaps in treble push lots of air. Depending on the sound source this happened with the
loudness switch engaged and the volume turned as low as 9 O'clock. I really like the sound. Its still
accurate and detailed with extremely tight normal bass. Its just the extreme low and high
frequencies that have impact. Its not as balanced and refined as my modified t20v2 orthos, but
its got a really fun sound with a gigantic soundstage. Before the dampening and cup mods the
headphones just distorted early on the Sherwood. Bass was too much too. I thought for sure the
soundstage would diminish after the mods, but all the details and space are still there. Just like
the stock headphone its a single plane super wide soundstage not a 3D one for my head. Its funny
since the cups are so tall you can have the sound feel like its above your head or below your head
if you place the cups on incorrectly. Soundstage seems to work differently for everyone and this is
how I hear it on the DT250. Also, I kept the deteriorated foam off the grills. I just put some gaffers
tape on part of the opening to tone down the treble a bit without killing the mids.

I'm wondering if this fun setup would be short lived though. Am I taking the driver beyond its original
design capabilities? Will this dampening and amp eventually distort and deteriorate the drivers? If so
are there any precautions I could take to keep the sound but still care for the drivers? I don't want
the fun to end. If its not detrimental to the life of the drivers I would recommend dampening and 
high output solid state amps. Really need a high output amp for these mods though. Cmoy and lower
won't really cut it. The long cable is about the only thing that bothers me on this headphone now.
Besides the lost grill foam its the only irreversible mod I may hold back on until I find a spare DT250.

Sep 18, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #299 of 1,049
I like them fine stock since i do like their balance. They just need good synergy with associated equipment like the jdslabs O2 for example which sounds really good with them. 

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:25 AM Post #300 of 1,049
Mine are the 80ohm ones. I like their sound without any mods, the only thing i did is add some more 4mm thick acoustic foam between the cushions and the drivers to recess mids a bit . Powered by a headphone amplifier based on  tubes gives amazing results. I don't hear any bass boomy effects or any other issues. I think you have to find proper equipment to get the best. Trial and error is the best way. If you own a pair you won't regret it, take your dt250 & start trying some proper gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back