The Beyer DT150 Experience
Sep 11, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #76 of 114

Quote:
Yes!

Seriously, though, the DT150s are some of the easiest headphones I own to amp properly.  As long as they are getting a reasonable level of juice, they'll play pretty well with any equipment.  I do like how they sound with my tube amp, but they do equally well with a desktop SS amp.  If you find them too bright, a tube amp will help with that, but solid state makes them sound really really tight.  Guess it's all about preference.

I see what you're getting at:) I'm looking into the DT150s and not a lot of amp reviews in combo with them.

Currently own SR225i's and a Little Dot I+.

I'm sensitive to too much trouble (fatigue) so was looking for my holy grail which would be somewhat rolled off highs, but good sound stage, musical separation and of course the other good stuff (good mids, tight bass) without making the headphones too slow/sluggish.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM Post #77 of 114
FWIR, the DT250 might suit your needs better if you like a slightly more rolled off sound.  The DT150 definitely has the house sound, which includes bright treble.

Sep 12, 2010 at 8:51 AM Post #79 of 114
I've done a few basic mods to my T50RP, but I haven't dropped it into a new enclosure yet.

The T50 is warmer and more rolled-off at the high end, which means it doesn't have that sparkle that the Beyers do.  It's a bit brighter now that I removed the thick fabric on the front of the driver, though.

Some quick impressions:
T50RP:
-the narrow, shallow soundstage is definitely noticeable.
-everything with these headphones sounds remarkably uncoloured
-I really like the bass I get from these now they are dampened better
-really nice midrange--not quite as nice as the T40v1 pull off--but vocals are remarkably clear
-these don't really sound like open or closed headphones.
-I don't find them unmusical, but they are a highly analytical pair of headphones (the ability to capture everything seems more important than a cohesive overall sound)

DT150
-these have a really wide and deep soundstage for closed headphones
-the bass has a bit more impact, but a bit less definition
-as much as I love the sound these create, they do sound like closed headphones
-I really do like bright headphones--those cymbal and high hat hits are awesome with these cans--creates a sense of air and space around instruments
-they are a bit more coloured (compared to the T50RP, at least), which creates a nice cohesive sound.  They are easier to listen to, but it takes more concentration to pick out the parts.  It's easier to just get lost in the music.
-vocals sound good here, too, but they don't stand out the same way.  They become just another part of the mix
-one of my only minor complaints with the DT150 is their tendency to get just a little congested on busy passages

So, yeah... stock, I prefer the sound overall of the DT150, but if I really want to focus on the music and concentrate on how music was put together, the T50RP are a better choice.  Ultimately, it depends what's important to you.  All bets are off on how these will compare once the T50RPs get the Thunderpants treatment.

Hope that helps.

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #81 of 114
The Beyerdynamic DT-150 are my favorite pair of headphones, currently.

Pros -
  1. Toughest build quality of ANY headphone I've ever owned.
  2. Each Part is replaceble & available from Beyerdynamic & other sources
  3. Excellent Isolation
  4. Good Comfort
  5. Wide Soundstage for a closed can
  6. Good Bass impact
  7. Efficient enough to not require an amp - even at 250 ohms

Cons -

1. Pleather earpads can get a bit hot after several hours
  2. No leather earpads available
  3. Ugly! Requires great confidence to rock these in public

Not really a con - these are very neutral & revealing.  If you like a straight pipe, these might be suitable.

I really enjoy these unamped!

Through my MacBook and iPod, they're great.  They're a fun can for movies.

I used to own a Woo6 tube amp.  Honestly, I didn't like the DT150 through the tube amp.  I'm anxious to try these on a solid state amp.  I've read other postings which suggested that these cans like solid state amps better.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done a solid state vs. tube amp comparison of the DT150.

Jan 5, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #82 of 114
DT150 are the only pair of headphones that i have tried and own that as withstand the test of time. Only reason why i think people wouldn't get them is because they are a bit retro looking and ugly but the sound quality is so worth it. I have worm them so much that the earpads have gone smooth and worn into the fabric behind the velour.

My friend who bought a pair of Audio Technica AD900 headphones recently where i burnt them in for 20 hours of ultra loud music. So now i'll compare them with using a mix of songs all at FLAC quality.

I found that the DT150 has so much more bass by far compared to the AD900 but the tightness and quality were equal.

The mids were hard to tell apart with both quality very similar but the taste was a bit different. DT150 was more warm with the soundstage more narrow but higher compared to the AD900 which is much wider (open headphone obviously) but feels thin compared to the DT150 which feels like you are more engaged in the song.

Highs are obvious here, the AD900 plays highs beautifully with high detail. The DT150 also has nice high quality but is recessed a bit due to the close design.

To sum it up the AD900 is suited more for classical/instrumental with more prominent mid/highs and a very wide soundstage with a slightly thin sound to it. DT150 is suited more for modern/bass/instrumental with more prominent low/meds and a wide soundstage with a warm and engaging sound to it.

Both headphones are excellent no doubt about that but the choice is best depending on your taste and what type of music you listen to.

I plan to get a pair of DT880 05" 600ohms in the near future with a proper dac and amp setup so i can get a even better comparison.

Dec 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #84 of 114
Quote:
DT150 are the only pair of headphones that i have tried and own that as withstand the test of time. Only reason why i think people wouldn't get them is because they are a bit retro looking and ugly but the sound quality is so worth it. I have worm them so much that the earpads have gone smooth and worn into the fabric behind the velour.

My friend who bought a pair of Audio Technica AD900 headphones recently where i burnt them in for 20 hours of ultra loud music. So now i'll compare them with using a mix of songs all at FLAC quality.

I found that the DT150 has so much more bass by far compared to the AD900 but the tightness and quality were equal.

The mids were hard to tell apart with both quality very similar but the taste was a bit different. DT150 was more warm with the soundstage more narrow but higher compared to the AD900 which is much wider (open headphone obviously) but feels thin compared to the DT150 which feels like you are more engaged in the song.

Highs are obvious here, the AD900 plays highs beautifully with high detail. The DT150 also has nice high quality but is recessed a bit due to the close design.

To sum it up the AD900 is suited more for classical/instrumental with more prominent mid/highs and a very wide soundstage with a slightly thin sound to it. DT150 is suited more for modern/bass/instrumental with more prominent low/meds and a wide soundstage with a warm and engaging sound to it.

Both headphones are excellent no doubt about that but the choice is best depending on your taste and what type of music you listen to.

I plan to get a pair of DT880 05" 600ohms in the near future with a proper dac and amp setup so i can get a even better comparison.

I see in your gallery that you own the DT880's now, could you do a little comparison between DT150's and those? :p

Mar 10, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #85 of 114
I have had and used the DT150s for a few years now. I personally think they are fantastic. Soundstage IS great, and they are very engaging.

Dark room, DT150, dark side of the moon.
I am transported to another world!
Sound is full and pretty nutral, with a nice tight bass prescience.

They are also as robust as hell, I am a live sound engineer and they are my work cans, they travel all over the place, take a lot of abuse and pretty much don't have a scratch on them!
To prove it, I started out over 10 years ago with a pair of DT100s (same design/build) and they are still going strong, only thing they could do with is a pad replacement. (The pads are held on with electrical tape) rest of the phone is solid as a rock.

By the way I only changed to the 150s because the 100s are quite hard to drive and most modern sound desks would give me woefull volume levels. Not so great with a full PA pointed straight at you.

Styling.. I've grown up with them pretty much, so I love them, and people tend to think you mean business with these on your head!

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #86 of 114
I’m using FiiO E11 as amplifier via FiiO L3 to Ipod Touch 4G. Recently bought a new Beyerdynamic DT150.

I found that the DT150 is very easy to drive despite 250 ohm – is this normal? It sounds loud enough at volume 3.5 to 4, on Low Gain (Voltage setting under the amp’s battery always set to High). In comparison, I have Sennheiser HD215 with 32 ohm impedance, which just use 2.5 to 3 of the volume. The Beyer can be used direct from the Ipod with sufficient loudness, without having to push the volume to maximum – really surprising! Hope someone can explain or give opinion about this.

Also, I think overall the DT150 sounds excellent in Low Gain mode. Hope this is normal. 

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #87 of 114
Quote:
I’m using FiiO E11 as amplifier via FiiO L3 to Ipod Touch 4G. Recently bought a new Beyerdynamic DT150.

I found that the DT150 is very easy to drive despite 250 ohm – is this normal? It sounds loud enough at volume 3.5 to 4, on Low Gain (Voltage setting under the amp’s battery always set to High). In comparison, I have Sennheiser HD215 with 32 ohm impedance, which just use 2.5 to 3 of the volume. The Beyer can be used direct from the Ipod with sufficient loudness, without having to push the volume to maximum – really surprising! Hope someone can explain or give opinion about this.

Also, I think overall the DT150 sounds excellent in Low Gain mode. Hope this is normal. 

This is completely typical. They are an unusual headphone, in that they do have a high impedance and yet they run at much higher volume levels than any typical high impedance headphone. Plugged into something like a Xonar DX which does not produce a headphone amplified output you can get pretty much just as high volume without distortion as a Fiio E17 on lower gain settings. However, correct amplification makes a dramatic improvement to the DT150 in every way except volume - without getting into wishy washy audio speak, it simply sounds much better across the board.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM Post #88 of 114
This is an old thread but I miss my DT 150.

Recently got the DT 250, as they say it is more neutral than the DT150, but I feel the advantage ended there. DT150 is simply more fun and has more of the qualities that make them coloured and special at the same time.

Apr 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #89 of 114
Quote:
This is an old thread but I miss my DT 150.

I did too after selling them, so I bought another pair.
They were used and had other pads than the newer ones. Thicker and with nicer feeling pleather.
Sadly I ruined the pads, and had to buy new ones. They are not as thick, and the pleather is more sticky. The newer ones gives more isolation (better seal), and also a fuller sound with less sibilance. At the expense of comfort.
It helps though that I now have eye glasses with thinner legs.

Aug 29, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #90 of 114
Quote:

This is completely typical. They are an unusual headphone, in that they do have a high impedance and yet they run at much higher volume levels than any typical high impedance headphone. Plugged into something like a Xonar DX which does not produce a headphone amplified output you can get pretty much just as high volume without distortion as a Fiio E17 on lower gain settings. However, correct amplification makes a dramatic improvement to the DT150 in every way except volume - without getting into wishy washy audio speak, it simply sounds much better across the board.

Do you mean that good headphone amplifier is proper, and high or low gain does not really matter for DT150? 

How about other DT150 users experience: high vs low gain, which should perform better for accuracy/neutrality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back