The BEST-LOOKING Headphones
Mar 22, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #872 of 1,354
I still think the Audeze LCD-2 in rosewood is the most beautiful pair of cans ever made.

IMG_20130824_025148_zpsb8a549a3.jpg

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #873 of 1,354
I still think the Audeze LCD-2 in rosewood is the most beautiful pair of cans ever made.

I prefer the bamboo, but yeah the LCDs are all really pretty.

Those yokes/struts worry me though. They look way too breakable, even if they are metal. :s

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #874 of 1,354

As above, I kinda prefer the bamboo, but AUGUGHGUGH I am so close to pulling the trigger on these thiiiiiiings...

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #876 of 1,354
Like the retro look of these cans...

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #878 of 1,354
My top-6 picks (because sometimes it`s hard to choose between them):

Philips Fidelio X1 
(Imho near-perfect combination of shapes/texture/material/color. Hard to get better than that but I would prefer very-dark-brown velour pads to match headband)

AKG K701 (grey/white/silver/brown leather - kind of harmonious luxury/classic combination, but same time modern and pop.
Without that brown headband I wouldn`t like it)

Beyerdynamic T1 (Very stylish but same time laid-back design. Mesh + cutout Y`s + headband - materials/texture is all about that design)

Audeze LCD-2 (because of that headband system it gets 4th place but same time I also like that little retro-looking headband)

Shure SRH-1840 (Simple, modern and sleek design. Nothing standing out but same time little hint of "luxurious sound". Reminds me modern Maserati luxury-sports car)

Philips CityScape UpTown (Simple yet modern look with little hint of luxury)

Edit: totally forgot Shure SRH-1840 which gets honorable 5th place

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #882 of 1,354

Putting the same driver from your $80 headphones into your $1500 headphones most certainly is "minimum effort" and "cheap".

If you honestly believe that they're the same drivers throughout the range you're so incredibly uninformed it's almost offensive. Not only are the drivers different but most of the enclosures are different as well. Very specific breeds of mahogany trees are picked for their RS-1 series and the size and dimmensions are very carefully designed.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #884 of 1,354
so many different styles mentioned, obviously looks are highly subjective and peoples personal tastes runs the gamut. I myself have a lot of different tastes when it comes to headphone design.

I notice a lot of people say that regardless of how they sound, people like some of the Beats in terms of their looks & styling. Personally I can't stand any of them - they just look cheap & tacky to me. Like they're trying too hard, and there's virtually no subtlety or maturity in their industrial design. 

Sony has always been a leader in product design, one of the pioneers and all-time greats in consumer electronics. I love the classic utilitarian look of the MDR-7506, or something more modern like the MDR-1R (I own both). Many of their older designs are also gorgeous and it's crazy to look at some and then realize they were made in the early 80's, or earlier. Many of them look sleek & modern even today! One example is the DR-Z6 which was previously mentioned in this thread, but there are many others.

Sennheiser's design is a little weird - at first many of their phones did not appeal to me and some even struck me as ugly. But, I do think they put a lot of emphasis on their design and over time you grow to appreciate it. At least they're all unique, distinctive, & original. Maybe not the top of the 'best-looking' list, but I feel deserving of an honorable mention. I think my least favorite would have to be the HD800's which look like something out of Star Wars. I don't know - they just look like "too much" to me… not that they're designed for wearing outside, but I just think I would look / feel silly with those things on my head. I assume the sound is so good it doesn't matter…

I tend to like AKG's style - particularly their new pro flagship, the K812. I haven't seen one in person but they seem to have exquisite precision & detail in their build… I definitely lust after them. Their 'lifestyle' models are also quite nice - I own the K545's and really like the simple modern / minimalist style (and the sound is fantastic, as well). 

Shure had the 1840's, and now the 1540's which are my current obsession w/ their carbon-weave cups & Alcantara pads… probably my next purchase. 

Another utilitarian model that I love is the Fostex t50rp, (as well as the respective mod's). It's sort of retro, sort of futuristic, rugged, classic, utilitarian… and has those unique sliders that look f'ing cool. A lot of the mod's are also very nice looking.

Fostex also has the TH-600 & TH-900, which are 2 of the absolute sexiest HP's out there today. These are another one that I lust after BIG TIME…

And lastly are the Philips Fidelio X1. I remember the first time I saw them while I was just browsing around on Amazon - i immediately perked up & took notice based on their gorgeous, sexy design, and started researching their sound quality & reviews. I had them added to my wish list and I was lucky enough to be going over it one night when I noticed they had gone on sale for $149.99. I about lost my mind when I saw that - truly couldn't believe they were that low. I was lucky enough to get them and have been so happy since then. Both the sound quality is incredible, and their build, materials & looks are stunning. Pictures look fantastic but I don't think they do them justice. I hope they continue making headphones of this caliber.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #885 of 1,354

Putting the same driver from your $80 headphones into your $1500 headphones most certainly is "minimum effort" and "cheap".

If you honestly believe that they're the same drivers throughout the range you're so incredibly uninformed it's almost offensive. Not only are the drivers different but most of the enclosures are different as well. Very specific breeds of mahogany trees are picked for their RS-1 series and the size and dimmensions are very carefully designed.

Look it up. All modern Grados use the exact same driver. The enclosure is what's different between the models.

Careful design doesn't matter nearly as much when you're using poor materials for the application.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back