The Best IEM For Performance and Price
Oct 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #46 of 70
+1 for the GR07

I purchased these about 3 weeks ago, and I don't think I'll buy another IEM until these break. They've hit the spot for me, and I listen to metal, classical, jazz and some EDM. I can't really fault these for anything besides a peak at the lower treble regions which I got used too. They are very, very detailed, quite surprising for a dynamic IEM. I like the bass on these more than the bass on the IE8, which I found to be extremely overpowering. I have also tried the UM3X and I found the GR07s to be much more "musical', because the UM3X sounded very dry to me.

Oct 22, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #47 of 70

Quote:
I wouldn't mind V shaped just as long as the mid isn't extremely recessed

I just got the UE10 - my first mid-fi IEMs.  They're within 10% of my HD 650s with a bit more 'snap' in the treble and a vastly reduced soundstage, of course.

I wouldn't say the mids are recessed as much as the the treble is a bit forward and the bass is less 'lively'.  The separation is darn good.  The sound is acceptably 'clean', much better than the Klipsh Image4 I was using before.

Not bad for a portable solution.

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #48 of 70
A second hand Earsonics SM3. You can get them for low $200s, and they are right up there (if not better than) ones which sell second hand for $350+!

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #49 of 70
Since a lot of people here seem to have heard the GR07 and/or EX600, how would you describe its bass and treble quantities? Particularly if you've extensively heard the Panasonic HJE900, the Thinksound TS02, or the Etymotic MC5?

I love transparency and detail, but not at the expense of genre-versatility. It's my gripe with my etys, they sound good for about 70% of my music, but I don't like leaving that 30% so behind. Hip Hop, R&B, dubstep, and D&B seem to loose their souls. I know that the GR07 and EX600 are meant to be monitors, but some monitors are able to provide realistic yet fun bass, like my full-size SR850. In terms of bass I'm particularly concerned with sub-bass rumble and impact over quantity. Prefer linear, deep extension if possible. 

For treble, I've never had issues with too much treble personally, but some people have complained about the EX600. The main thing keeping me away from the GR07 is price, availability(and shipping speed), and that I hear the EX600 has a better soundstage. I'm a sucker for soundstage, particularly on IEMs. The main thing stopping me from the EX600 is that I fear it might be too much like my MC5 in terms of bass presentation. No rumble, hardly any impact.

Oct 24, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #50 of 70

Quote:
Since a lot of people here seem to have heard the GR07 and/or EX600, how would you describe its bass and treble quantities? Particularly if you've extensively heard the Panasonic HJE900, the Thinksound TS02, or the Etymotic MC5?

I have used Ety's before (not Pana nor TS), to me, Ety's bass is too weak, yes it is good quality, but not enough for my liking.

My Atrio M8, B2, and GR07 cover all genre, so I use whichever I need to use, if I have to travel, GR07 will go with me + my Fiio E11.

If you need bass and bass only, go with Atrio M5-mg7, GR07 is awesome for general all-rounder, especially with EDM, and B2 is perfect for live music, classical, jazz, etc, it is good for EDM too, but not as good as GR07

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #51 of 70
The EX600 has both rumble and impact. I haven't heard the MC5 so it's hard to say. Less than the Turbine Coppers and Meelec CC51s, but they're there. Seems to be from reading the impressions of people who have heard both that the EX600s are slightly more bassy than the GR07s. Just what I gathered when I was also trying to decide between the two.

Oct 24, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #52 of 70

Quote:
I have used Ety's before (not Pana nor TS), to me, Ety's bass is too weak, yes it is good quality, but not enough for my liking.

My Atrio M8, B2, and GR07 cover all genre, so I use whichever I need to use, if I have to travel, GR07 will go with me + my Fiio E11.

If you need bass and bass only, go with Atrio M5-mg7, GR07 is awesome for general all-rounder, especially with EDM, and B2 is perfect for live music, classical, jazz, etc, it is good for EDM too, but not as good as GR07

Thanks! I don't think the Atrios would cover my preferences, my impression is that they don't have enough sparkle for my tastes given what I've read. The GR07 sounds like it might work well.

Quote:
The EX600 has both rumble and impact. I haven't heard the MC5 so it's hard to say. Less than the Turbine Coppers and Meelec CC51s, but they're there. Seems to be from reading the impressions of people who have heard both that the EX600s are slightly more bassy than the GR07s. Just what I gathered when I was also trying to decide between the two.

Thanks as well! I actually did a couple hours of auditioning the CC51 on friday(although without burn-in, fresh out the box), so if the EX600's bass is not like tooooo much less than the CC51s, I'd probably be happy. 

From what I've read, the GR07 seems to have a bit more sub-bass, the EX600 a bit mroe mid bass.

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #54 of 70
I've briefly auiditioned the RE0 before, and I didn't much find it appealing. A bit in the same vein as my ety MC5 with a tiny bit more bass. I don't  think the ZERO is going to help much more in that case. But I appreciate the suggestion =P

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Say, how does the EX600 compare to the EX700? The price for the 700 would be 10€ less, thus my question. 

Oct 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #56 of 70
I have the Panasonic HJE 900 and IMO they have good punchy bass that generally too powerfull meaning the mids are veiled and really badly recessed. So it's definitely V shaped. The soundstage is also quite small in height. So my Apple Earbuds work better for mids and soundstage. I've also realised that i prefer headphones to IEMs but i need IEMs for college. Probavly gonna sell the panns. Sorry for bad grammar im using ipod

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #57 of 70
my vote is for the 600s, awesomely nice and engaging sound they have, I'm running them along with the Voyager (and soon to try them out along side an Arrow 2.2g) and I also use them with the ZO thrown in there, 

and may I just say Holy *hit! I'm find nothing wrong with the freakishly thumping bass, nice and tight without overpowering the mids, the treble is exceptionally bright, to the point where I use the treble reducer setting on the 7th g iPod calssic to help cool it down, and it works out very nice,

the soundstage is just gigantically HUGE!! and it has me looking around to see where in the hell the sounds are coming from???

and to help with the fit and isolation issue, I use Head-Directs large bi-flange tips, jammed way into my ears, and thus NO hint of them having any feelling of them wanting to fall out or even moving around in the slightest, and I really think they contribute to the WONDERFUL sound that they produce, an ultra clear soundstage with super instrument seperation, hugely fun and very engaging to listen to not fatiguing in the slightest, I tried out all the stock tips and they only muffled the sound compared to the clearity that H-Ds b-f tips provide, I wore the hybrids out on a walk once and after 20 min I couldn't wait to get home and swap them back for the b-f tips, yucky patooey pht pht pht, lol, they left a bad taste in my ears, 

I listen to them on average 6 hours a day, and even up to 8-10 hours on occasion!! ka sweetness, once I ran out a fully charged ZO, lol, the key to me using and really enjoying the 600s is using the right tips and getting them sealed and seated in properly,

the only other mid-fi IEMs that I have experience with are the TF10s and RE262s, I quickly traded my TF10s for the EX600s, because after owning and hearing the 262s, the TF10s sounded dull and super muddy, and then I luckily traded out the 10s out for the 600s, I then quickly sold the fabulous 262s, because the 600s made the 262s sound super bass light,

and so I find the 600s to possess the best of both, the deep heavy bass without any muddiness, and with the bright treble of the TF10s, and then the clearity and the instrument seperation of the RE262s, and the 600s soundstage is as if it has the combination of both the 262s and TF10s combined, just super clear, defined, spacious and huge!! very nicely balanced with all the areas well represented, bass, mids, and treble,

as I am ever enjoying and loving my ongoing affair with the 600s, still more and more every day!!! 

just a stumble bums .03 worth! as I'd rather be ever luck than good!!  
atsmile.gif

Oct 27, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #58 of 70
Quote:
I have the Panasonic HJE 900 and IMO they have good punchy bass that generally too powerfull meaning the mids are veiled and really badly recessed. So it's definitely V shaped. The soundstage is also quite small in height. So my Apple Earbuds work better for mids and soundstage. I've also realised that i prefer headphones to IEMs but i need IEMs for college. Probavly gonna sell the panns. Sorry for bad grammar im using ipod

The HJE900 are really bad IMO. Even the Xears TD100 are superior in pretty much every way. Recessed mids, horrible highs and small soundstage. Hated them. Sold them same day.

Oct 27, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #60 of 70

Quote:

Quote:

The HJE900 are really bad IMO. Even the Xears TD100 are superior in pretty much every way. Recessed mids, horrible highs and small soundstage. Hated them. Sold them same day.

Sorry but I have to chime in defense of my beloved pannies. the HJE900 is definitely V-shaped but I wouldn't call the mids's veiled. Or at least the way I think of veiled is different from just being recessed. The HJE900 are by no means bad, just not to your tastes :p

I'm really surprised you said they are lacking in height though. I'd say height and depth are easily it's best qualities. Actually it's sense of height, specifically, is the best of any headphone I've used, including my full-sizes. It's width is definitely above average and it's sense of depth is only beaten by open-full sizes.

To miow, if you didn't buy them used, then you didn't give them enough time to burn in. The highs get tamed a whole bunch with burn in by most accounts. 

Still, it's a matter of taste. I'm missing my pannies a lot since I lost a side to them =P. They still have the best timbre I've heard in any headphone. I think I prefer the GR07s to them now, but they sure held on to their crown for a long time.

On another note, it's interesting the psychological aspect of this whole headphone thing. By most accounts the GR07s are neutral, but having used headphones that are slightly V-Shaped(which I think is the better and more natural sound signature, anyway), the GR07 at first seemed freakishly forward in the mids to, to the point of slight annoyance. But I'm getting used to it now :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back