The best Audiophile MP3 Player?
Nov 16, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #61 of 223
I did not start this thread !! , i am just saying the argument "has-been-discussed-already" , cant be said, regarding the playeds because thre are just too many new players coming!

i just bumped it because it had a title appropreate for me to ask about the colorfly. (i was looking to bump the colorfly thread But , spotted this first)

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #66 of 223

Quote:
Quote:
Sony family hisses like crazy, and I think that can be bothersome for some.

My Sony S doesn't hiss at all.  Blanket statements like this are not helpful.

I never heard any hissing with my S545 or E345, but I don't use IEM's either.

Nov 17, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #67 of 223

Quote:
Quote:

Nov 17, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #68 of 223

Quote:
hey, anyone knows if the S:flo2 not listing songs by alphabetically order is being fixed?

I replied in the other thread, but to re-iterate here:
1) if your file names are "01 - first song", "02 - second song" and so on, they will be shown in order 
2) folders don't appear in order unless you browse by anything but directory
3) if you browse by directory you can get folders to be listed alphabetically by using freeware called DriveSort to 'force' the folders into the correct order (don't forget to press save!) as just doing it on Windows doesn't work. Or you can copy all your files across in one go. Adding them randomly and using Windows to sort them doesn't work. DriveSort is very easy to use (looks like a file explorer) and only adds on a either a few seconds or minutes, depending how much stuff you're putting on.

Joining in the current convo, my old Sony hissed quite badly with IEMs although it was one of their first models (NW-HD5).

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #69 of 223
I can hear the hiss with my Ultrasone DJ1Pro. The only IEM that didn't hiss with my E 636 was the PFE. Everything else is way too hissy. I own four Sony models. I love each one, but I simply don't use them without an amp as the hiss is way too much for every current IEM I own.

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Nov 18, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #70 of 223

Quote:
iriver h140 optical out, flac, to ibasso D12? :wink:

NOTHING ELSE TOPS THAT. What comes close is the WM8987 equipped players from Korean Lisse, and the EQ corrected, and EQ leveled Samsung Galaxy S handsets fed analog to the iBasso D10 or D12, those phones have some nice Wolfson DAC chips in them also, if an annoying tagger in the Samsung player... less annoying to deal with than the s:flo2 and sounds better. IMHO. Alas pricier too. But to each their own. For braindead utility and raw SQ I opt for a fuze over the s:flo2 properly rockboxed and nicely EQ leveled. It sounds better to me. Just some random thoughts on players since we're all sharing.

Nov 18, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #71 of 223

Quote:
My S:Flo2 is amazing, destroying the Fuze in terms of sound quality. It also has a line out that is much better even than the headphone out. I connect it to my speakers or the car and it sounds amazing, much better than an Ipod touch or the Fuze.

I'm wondering. Are you comparing the S:Flo2's line out to the Ipod's line out at the dock port? I'm still wondering how much difference would it be between an Ipod Classic 7G line out and the S:Flo2 line out to the DACs of an iBasso D12 driving ATH M50s.

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #72 of 223
I think the Sony Walkman X series has some really great sound when compared to the 20 or so other DAPs I've tried over the years: clean, crisp and no hiss -- either through the headphone port or direct line out. 

I have a Samsung Captivate and it doesn't sound as good to me. 

I do most of my listening with my UE11 pros.

Nov 19, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #73 of 223

Quote:
Quote:
iriver h140 optical out, flac, to ibasso D12? :wink:

NOTHING ELSE TOPS THAT. What comes close is the WM8987 equipped players from Korean Lisse, and the EQ corrected, and EQ leveled Samsung Galaxy S handsets fed analog to the iBasso D10 or D12, those phones have some nice Wolfson DAC chips in them also, if an annoying tagger in the Samsung player... less annoying to deal with than the s:flo2 and sounds better. IMHO. Alas pricier too. But to each their own. For braindead utility and raw SQ I opt for a fuze over the s:flo2 properly rockboxed and nicely EQ leveled. It sounds better to me. Just some random thoughts on players since we're all sharing.

I'm not sure rockbox and EQ match the phrase 'raw SQ' but I see what you are trying to say.  Don't agree, but I get it.  
wink_face.gif

Nov 19, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #74 of 223
The Sony X does sound nice, but it hisses very badly. If you don't use sensitive earphones/headphones, you won't hear it. I can hear the hiss even from my semi-sensitive DJ1Pro headphones (full size). With every IEM I've used, it is a bloody storm. Still, I like the signature very much.

Quote:
I think the Sony Walkman X series has some really great sound when compared to the 20 or so other DAPs I've tried over the years: clean, crisp and no hiss -- either through the headphone port or direct line out. 

I have a Samsung Captivate and it doesn't sound as good to me. 

I do most of my listening with my UE11 pros.

Nov 19, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #75 of 223
Since a few vintage DAP's were mentioned, may I add the Sony MZ-EH1, though technically it can't handle MP3's, but since MP3 isn't audiophile...
Beautiful player, totally minimalistic, no LCD screen on the unit (optional wired remote control has one);no hiss, gap-less. Handles PCM nicely, and earphones can be plugged in without a portable amp. More difficult to drive headphones would probably benefit one, but for headphones like the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, it performs very well, I was impressed.
Of course, you mustn't mind swapping 1GB MiniDiscs, but that is part of the charm. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back