The Beauty and the Beast... Woo WA2 vs WA22
Sep 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #211 of 255
Sep 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #213 of 255
yeah i've been looking for one of those for when i get WA22.

i'll probably buy one of the black base ones on ebay when i see a cheap one thats actually branded GEC or something. (maybe an OSRAM or MWT will pop up)

Jul 21, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #214 of 255
Jan 15, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #215 of 255
Hey guys what are some good recommendations for headphone pairings? Other than the T1s that everyone seems to love, I cant quiet cash out for some LCDs yet, but I was thinking about some El 8 open, found some a couple used ones for around 500, which is my budget, I was almost set on going for either Meze 99 or the Nighthawks, which can both be found for $300 new, but seeing how Headphones will be my primary means on listening to music for a while (while I save for a PrimaLuna amp + monitor audio Bronze 5) I was thinking on umping my budget a bit and looking for something in the $500 range. Which used gives me the option for something like the T1s or El 8, Grado GS1000e... Im not an audiophile and I dont want to dissect the music I listen too, I just want to enjoy it so I do favor some coloration, Im looking for something warm, melodic, open with some great soudspace and imaging.

By the way, I cant stand Sennheisers HDs. They are just too.. boring (in my opinion).

My listening tastes are pretty limited, old school rock like Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, ACDC and classical music, mostly piano Phillip Glass, Hans Zimmer, Ludovico Einaudi. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #216 of 255
Hey guys what are some good recommendations for headphone pairings? Other than the T1s that everyone seems to love, I cant quiet cash out for some LCDs yet, but I was thinking about some El 8 open, found some a couple used ones for around 500, which is my budget, I was almost set on going for either Meze 99 or the Nighthawks, which can both be found for $300 new, but seeing how Headphones will be my primary means on listening to music for a while (while I save for a PrimaLuna amp + monitor audio Bronze 5) I was thinking on umping my budget a bit and looking for something in the $500 range. Which used gives me the option for something like the T1s or El 8, Grado GS1000e... Im not an audiophile and I dont want to dissect the music I listen too, I just want to enjoy it so I do favor some coloration, Im looking for something warm, melodic, open with some great soudspace and imaging.

By the way, I cant stand Sennheisers HDs. They are just too.. boring (in my opinion).

My listening tastes are pretty limited, old school rock like Pearl Jam, Pink Floyd, ACDC and classical music, mostly piano Phillip Glass, Hans Zimmer, Ludovico Einaudi. 

Which amp do you have?

Are you sure you have heard the HD650 properly amped?

Jan 15, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #217 of 255
Ill be getting the Wa2 :D. And I dont know if "properly" but yeah, they were amped but even while reading reviews and all that I can tell its not what Im looking for, I listened to the Hds and the Nighthawks through the same amp and I absolutely loved the NH, they were just fun t listen too and put a grin on my face, I also tried the El 8, but unfortunately they werent amped and they were running through my ****ty smartphone only. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #218 of 255
Well, with the WA2 you want a high impedance headphone. That's where it shines. Especially if you are afraid of "laid back" sound - because if the impedance ratio gets to low things tend to get over dampened and mellow (low impedance headphones with high output impedance amps..)

I really think the T1 would be a great choice. At least for me it is fun and puts a grin on my face. The new version is supposed to have more bass and less peaky highs. But I find the original T1's to be very very good with the WA2.. There is a reason everyone is recommending this combo. WA2 is also superb with the HD800 (which are considered less fun and more neutral, though) ANd of course, the HD650 is legendary with the WA2.... 

The HD700 is great with the WA2 too, really worth considering.

Some of the new Beyers might also be a good choice because they are high impedance - like the new Amiron or DT1990PRO - but I havent heard those yet. I have the DT1770PRO and for a closed can it is very good.  

Why are you choosing the WA2? Generally one should chose the headphones first IMO.. 

Jan 15, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #219 of 255
Ive been looking all around for a good tube HP amp and I came with Woo wa2 and to be honest. I felt in love with it, love at first sight. I know it sounds stupid, but it will be sitting on my living room so I might as well get something pretty that I can enjoy watching as much as i enjoy listening too. After falling in love, I started reading some reviews and everyone seems to adore this amp so I decided to go with it, the reason why Im choosing the amp first and HP later, is that the amp is here too stay, I can change the sound via tubes and such, but the amp stays, from what Ive gathered (this will be my first audio setup) headphones are a tricky and subjective thing and as such, I might go through a couple of them to find the ones I love... Or just get a couple different ones for different occasions (theres allready a couple ones I cant wait to try)

Even tho HPs are going to be my primary setup for music im still going to get a 2.0 system for movies, games and occasionally, play some music while doing chores and when I have people over. And as such Ill be using the Wa2 as a pre, paired up with a PrimaLuna and Audio monitor Bronze 5s. And the Wa2 has amazing reviews as a pre amp too. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:21 AM Post #220 of 255
  Ive been looking all around for a good tube HP amp and I came with Woo wa2 and to be honest. I felt in love with it, love at first sight. I know it sounds stupid, but it will be sitting on my living room so I might as well get something pretty that I can enjoy watching as much as i enjoy listening too. After falling in love, I started reading some reviews and everyone seems to adore this amp so I decided to go with it, the reason why Im choosing the amp first and HP later, is that the amp is here too stay, I can change the sound via tubes and such, but the amp stays, from what Ive gathered (this will be my first audio setup) headphones are a tricky and subjective thing and as such, I might go through a couple of them to find the ones I love... Or just get a couple different ones for different occasions (theres allready a couple ones I cant wait to try)

Even tho HPs are going to be my primary setup for music im still going to get a 2.0 system for movies, games and occasionally, play some music while doing chores and when I have people over. And as such Ill be using the Wa2 as a pre, paired up with a PrimaLuna and Audio monitor Bronze 5s. And the Wa2 has amazing reviews as a pre amp too. 

Not stupid at all. I feel the same way about it. Even after many years of ownership and a growing collection of amps, the WA2 is still very special. Best looking amp ever. And for high impedance headphones it is really, really good, and quite reasonably priced.. 

I have used it and liked it with many low impedance amps. So if you have the amp - it shouldn't stop you from trying out "les than ideal" matches - they still may sound terrific. 

Owning several headphones is totally a thing I value, and it makes music listening much more fun. Also - it is good for your ears, I tend to get less fatigue when I have several heaphones. 

If I was gonna keep just the WA2 and a couple of headphones, I would end up with the T1 and the HD650, and if possible the HD700 and HD800 too :wink: The LCD-3 is higher impedance than most planars. I have the first version that has a lower impedance, and even that is very enjoyable with the WA2 (as you can read from my review)

Mar 13, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #222 of 255
Hey guys,

I have had WA2 for quite some time and I love it. Unfortunately it seems that my power tubes are dying, since I'm getting some ringing which comes and goes and is extremely irritating so I'm looking for a replacement. Could you guys share some tips with me please ?

ps: Right now, I've got 2399 Tung Sol/Chathams which from my research should be similar as 5998's. and for driver tubes I'm using Siemens CCa's which are absolutely wonderful.

Thanks a lot, Flisker o/

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #223 of 255
  Hey guys,

I have had WA2 for quite some time and I love it. Unfortunately it seems that my power tubes are dying, since I'm getting some ringing which comes and goes and is extremely irritating so I'm looking for a replacement. Could you guys share some tips with me please ?

ps: Right now, I've got 2399 Tung Sol/Chathams which from my research should be similar as 5998's. and for driver tubes I'm using Siemens CCa's which are absolutely wonderful.

Thanks a lot, Flisker o/

I like the 5998 a lot, and also the 6AS7G, I have Rayethon , although they can be a bit more prone to noise. But there are many good tubes. Worth checking out/asking in these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/402215/the-woo-audio-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite

Mar 14, 2017 at 4:17 AM Post #224 of 255

I like the 5998 a lot, and also the 6AS7G, I have Rayethon , although they can be a bit more prone to noise. But there are many good tubes. Worth checking out/asking in these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/402215/the-woo-audio-2
http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite

I already asked in all threads :D

Do you have any tips on where to hunt for 5998's or 6AS7G's for a decent price ? They are ridiculously expensive on ebay :frowning2: 

Or is 400$ normal for pair of 5998's ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back