The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Aug 20, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #1,081 of 1,529
Once upon a time this was my collection:

Seems kinda crazy now!!!!

I see nothing crazy there Rob. 
tongue.gif
 (but consider it's coming from me). Glad you're sticking around...you're definitely one of the good guys around here. 
smile.gif

Aug 20, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,082 of 1,529
I see nothing crazy there Rob. :p  (but consider it's coming from me). Glad you're sticking around...you're definitely one of the good guys around here. :smile:

Thanks Peter, same to you bud :beerchug:

Aug 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #1,084 of 1,529
It does seem that I'm going to have a few loaners to use for reviews, yes :D

Aug 25, 2014 at 2:04 AM Post #1,085 of 1,529
Well Skylab, I kind of saw it coming. I've noticed over the past year or so you have been off loading a lot of headphone gear. Once I saw you sold the he6 and later the leben both of which I know you loved(especially the leben) I could see what direction you were going in. I totally get it though. After acquiring both my heavily modded acoustats and especially the quad esl 57 that I restored, I just don't listen to cans much myself anymore. For the first time in several years I'm down to only two cans. I spend at least 80% of my time listening to speakers. I'm dead set on keeping both my he6 and w3000 and sometimes I find myself listening to cans just to remind myself at how good they both are. But I don't get nearly the enjoyment I get from listening to either pairs of my esl speaker rigs. Heck I even have my Mac 6200 forsale since I use it exclusively as a headphone amp.

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,086 of 1,529
Well Skylab, I kind of saw it coming. I've noticed over the past year or so you have been off loading a lot of headphone gear. Once I saw you sold the he6 and later the leben both of which I know you loved(especially the leben) I could see what direction you were going in. I totally get it though. After acquiring both my heavily modded acoustats and especially the quad esl 57 that I restored, I just don't listen to cans much myself anymore. For the first time in several years I'm down to only two cans. I spend at least 80% of my time listening to speakers. I'm dead set on keeping both my he6 and w3000 and sometimes I find myself listening to cans just to remind myself at how good they both are. But I don't get nearly the enjoyment I get from listening to either pairs of my esl speaker rigs. Heck I even have my Mac 6200 forsale since I use it exclusively as a headphone amp.

Yeah I figured you would understand :D

As would many regular readers of the Vintage thread there. I'm also down to probably 10-20% headphone, and when I'm listening to headphones it's almost always the LCD-3 I reach for. I love the W3000ANV and will miss them, but I also am a huge believer in not having stuff around that doesn't get used. My music collection takes up so much space that unused gear doesn't get to stick around...

Aug 25, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #1,087 of 1,529
wish i could be that pragmatic. find it hard to let go of gear even when it's not being used. the w3000anv gets little use. think the reason i hold onto it is for the beauty of the cups and it's limited edition status tbh.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #1,089 of 1,529
Just got my first couple of hairline scratches that i can see with my glasses and a flashlight. Had to happen, not me though. My wife moved them from where they were hanging for protection and but them in a cushioned bag. She didn't have a clue though and stuffed the cord in with them, i think it gave them the scratches. I cringed and gave her a bit of grief, she hasn't a clue…..thought i was being so good and protective, they were mint. Sheeesh! Painful.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,090 of 1,529
commiserations man. your poor missus. the first scratch on a new car is the worst. this probably feels similar.

Sep 9, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #1,091 of 1,529
it's a mid-centric can with an n shaped frequency response. it won't sound like a denon, hd800 or t1.

When I put AlphaPads on the w3000anv for the first time I was shocked at how balanced it sounded..
The main reason was originally for a better seal but it had a simply great impression..

Hah, I remember posting in that thread that I agreed with you on the L3000 impressions you have.  I'd love an L3000 for rock music, the kind of presentation that I enjoy.  The LFF Enigmas I own are similarly fun rock headphones, but loses a bit of the magical mids I enjoy from AT tuning.  

You should look into the zmf vibro which uses wood to its advantage in the mids..

So much pretty...

OMG soooooo beautiful! !
Now Im missing mine! Lol

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,092 of 1,529
oppo recognises that changing ear pads can make a significant difference to a can's sound signature

Sep 10, 2014 at 1:39 AM Post #1,093 of 1,529
I am thinking about trying the mod, but IIRC, alpha pads are not round as the W3000 is.  Does it look bad with alpha pads?  Could someone please post a picture of the W3000 with alpha pads?  

Thanks!

Sep 10, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #1,094 of 1,529
Just got my first couple of hairline scratches that i can see with my glasses and a flashlight. Had to happen, not me though. My wife moved them from where they were hanging for protection and but them in a cushioned bag. She didn't have a clue though and stuffed the cord in with them, i think it gave them the scratches. I cringed and gave her a bit of grief, she hasn't a clue…..thought i was being so good and protective, they were mint. Sheeesh! Painful.

Damn. It sounds like she had the best intentions though.

And if you keep that flashlight away from them, they will sound just as good as ever.

Sep 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,095 of 1,529
I am thinking about trying the mod, but IIRC, alpha pads are not round as the W3000 is.  Does it look bad with alpha pads?  Could someone please post a picture of the W3000 with alpha pads?  

Thanks!

it looks bad imo. pretty sure max134 posted pics earlier in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back