The Audio Technica W3000ANV Thread
Aug 11, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #1,051 of 1,529
agree with Skylab that cans accentuate sibilance more than speakers. makes sense coz the drivers are so close to your ears. revealing the details for good or bad is what cans excel at.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,052 of 1,529
I concur. I can't think of a recording that I listen to, on any of my cans, on a regular basis wherein sibilance is particularly noticeable, let alone irksome.

If one goes looking for it ... perhaps.

i don't go looking for it but i can't help noticing it when it's there. like i said it doesn't really bother me tho.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,053 of 1,529
Show, it will be a long shot to get hold of one locally, but if you can get your hands on a working Melos, then give it a shot. The Melos Gold retailed for circa $2000 back in 1996. Considering what you get one for these days, the performance:price ratio is superb. The caveat, however, is to be able to find a reliable unit. The EAR HP4 would also be a superb choice, but even more difficult to source and will cost multiples of the former.

I used to own the W5000 and the Melos helped alleviate a bit of the missing body and bass impact. I am listening to the AD2000X on it now (Amperex Orange Globes) and it sounds sublime. I remember we once paired a L3000 with the Melos during a meet - this combo pumped out some serious PRaT and bass.

Aug 11, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #1,054 of 1,529
Perhaps it is the Norah Jones + Billy Joel - Foreverly that's making me think that there's sibilance. I picked it up a fortnight ago and thats been on my playlist of the month. Revisited Josh Groban's - Noel, wasn't a great recording either. Both were specials of the week a few weeks ago. 

The up and downside of having a good system - you hear everything.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #1,055 of 1,529
I've spent the last week listening exclusively to my W3000ANV and I have to say I missed it dearly.  Just majestic with female vocals, especially country.  And I think I have a fairly brilliant amp for these to bring out the potential.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #1,056 of 1,529
Listened to the T1 to the tracks with sibilance. The T1 is meant to be very revealing and the sibilance was there on the poorly recorded ones, but much less. Next step is to head to the hifi shop soon so I can be absolutely sure that it is just poor pairing. 

But immensely loving the W3000anv. My fiancé found them when cleaning the listening room/study and I didn't get the usual, "stop spending money on hi-fi" complaint. She was so taken by the looks that she sat down, gave it a listen and she says that it is the headphones she likes the most. Told her how much it costs, and she was wondering if I can get a pair for her. Unfortunately, limited.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #1,057 of 1,529
Listened to the T1 to the tracks with sibilance. The T1 is meant to be very revealing and the sibilance was there on the poorly recorded ones, but much less. Next step is to head to the hifi shop soon so I can be absolutely sure that it is just poor pairing. 

But immensely loving the W3000anv. My fiancé found them when cleaning the listening room/study and I didn't get the usual, "stop spending money on hi-fi" complaint. She was so taken by the looks that she sat down, gave it a listen and she says that it is the headphones she likes the most. Told her how much it costs, and she was wondering if I can get a pair for her. Unfortunately, limited.

You mean fortunately. :p

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #1,059 of 1,529
Brand spanking new.

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #1,061 of 1,529
Oh AT, when's your next woodie coming?
redface.gif

That... sounds... wrong... 
biggrin.gif

If they'd make one with Burled Jarrah and focused purely on textured bass and of course not stuffing up the rest, I'd be down for it. 

Keep the recipe the same. Fairly high sensitivity, closed back, SE with matching wood termination. Detachable cable would be nice.

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:04 AM Post #1,064 of 1,529
Last week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back