The Audio Lounge
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #61 of 36,081
Without sounding like a total noob could someone direct me towards which soundstage is better suited for live rock and roll, musical or analytical? More to the point is there a difference for example musical is more V shaped while analytical remains neutral? In the case of Trinity are the Masters considered analytical? If so what makes them this way?

I've mentioned it before, but at the moment I'm still more inclined to pull out the Vyrus II, I guess due to fit and ease of use.

Thanks to this thread I can "come out" and ask such questions. Much appreciated.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #62 of 36,081
Musical vs analytical usually describes tonal balance. Sound stage is described more by size ( width and depth) and sometimes by type. Some earphones give an out of head experience while others tend to place the stage in head.

People have different definitions of analytical. Some consider neutral frequency response as analytical. Others call a brighter than normal sound analytical.

Haven't head the Masters. Can't help you there.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #64 of 36,081
Without sounding like a total noob could someone direct me towards which soundstage is better suited for live rock and roll, musical or analytical? More to the point is there a difference for example musical is more V shaped while analytical remains neutral? In the case of Trinity are the Masters considered analytical? If so what makes them this way?

I've mentioned it before, but at the moment I'm still more inclined to pull out the Vyrus II, I guess due to fit and ease of use.

Thanks to this thread I can "come out" and ask such questions. Much appreciated.

As @barondla said, musical or analytical is tone, and sound stage is how wide, deep or both the sound is. So, you could have an analytical IEM with a very small sound stage, or on the flip side you could have a musical IEM with a nice wide sound stage. The Master with its tuning filters can lean either way, analytical or musical, but it's sound stage isn't super wide with any of the filters. It is a decent "just outside the head" sound stage, but you won't be picking individual instruments out from across the room with them. In my opinion, for live Rock & Roll, you'd want a sound stage bigger than the Master is capable of to give you the feeling of being at that live venue.

Jul 19, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #65 of 36,081
That makes sense. I like the Masters for electronic and ambient stuff but I find them lacking that punch with live recordings. So I am looking for a wider soundstage. Thanks for your help. I will have a chance to go to Osaka at the end of the month, there a quite a few iems I will be trying out!

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #67 of 36,081
That makes sense. I like the Masters for electronic and ambient stuff but I find them lacking that punch with live recordings. So I am looking for a wider soundstage. Thanks for your help. I will have a chance to go to Osaka at the end of the month, there a quite a few iems I will be trying out!

Let us know if you find something that sounds like the Master with a kick ass sound stage.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #70 of 36,081
I have a thing for volume knobs/wheels over buttons.

In future I may buy an Opus 3

My ZS5 is on route. Of chinese IEM I have so far only bought, long time ago, the Macaw GT100s that, wire apart, have been a real treat.

I will pick up a pair of these for work in a few weeks be good to hear your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back