The Audio Lounge
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #1,396 of 36,209
Found this image doing a google search. Not sure if it's an engineering drawing of there first Bluetooth dongle or Icarus 1

IMG_0180.JPG

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #1,397 of 36,209
A nice headfier sold me Jupiters for $380 USD. Very good condition but it's non-Cerakote version.

I sold my Lyra II to a great fellow on headfi, I think he's a better home for them.
Reason is I want the Andromeda. I'm looking for exactly what Jupiter can deliver. From Awesome Treble, to Awesome Bass but not too much bass. But fantastic soundstage and imaging.

Problem is this. Lyra II = Fiio x5III and Cayin i5.
You have a slightly warm sound + smoothed treble and intimate mids. At first it's a fantastic soundsignature. But if you listen to too many AK4490 products. It goes into mega Warmth, and mega smoothed up top. Das Nasty.
But I love Lyra II always. It's what brought me to CA in first place.

Jupiter has a bigger stage, but vocals and mids are not milky way soft plushyness. But incredibly detail can be had, I mean microdetails!

Andromeda will give more of that. Problem is not, I'm in a dilemma. Empire Ears Athena V-III is like Lyra II in Goddess on LSD mode. It's super musical while having a much bigger 3D soundstage frontsides and wide open.
So I don't know

Deng what a steal though regardless! Glad you got an upgrade. I'm at the other end of the spectrum, quite a neutral - cold source looking to get a warmer sounding earphones. When I first got the Masters no doubt I was stunned/'wow-ed' by them since it was probably my first mid-fi pair of earphones. The sheer amount of detail was great but the analytical sound was something I had to get used to. I've always been more inclined on getting warmer & more musically sounding IEM's, Lyra II was on my mind but due to insufficient funds after my splurging on a pair of PM6 (which I sorta regret now), had to put the dream of owning a good pair of warm sounding earphones to rest.

That's until @Miko 7 gave his impressions on the Icarus III (mate, you and I have pretty similar interests in regards to genre choices and what you look for in an IEM, your impressions make my wallet empty haha... :frowning2:...)

Now I've got the Empire Ears Athena V-III in mind as my sorta end-game IEM... Darn it. :frowning2:, too much gear to buy, too little money...

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,398 of 36,209
Deng what a steal though regardless! Glad you got an upgrade. I'm at the other end of the spectrum, quite a neutral - cold source looking to get a warmer sounding earphones. When I first got the Masters no doubt I was stunned/'wow-ed' by them since it was probably my first mid-fi pair of earphones. The sheer amount of detail was great but the analytical sound was something I had to get used to. I've always been more inclined on getting warmer & more musically sounding IEM's, Lyra II was on my mind but due to insufficient funds after my splurging on a pair of PM6 (which I sorta regret now), had to put the dream of owning a good pair of warm sounding earphones to rest.

That's until @Miko 7 gave his impressions on the Icarus III (mate, you and I have pretty similar interests in regards to genre choices and what you look for in an IEM, your impressions make my wallet empty haha... :frowning2:...)

Now I've got the Empire Ears Athena V-III in mind as my sorta end-game IEM... Darn it. :frowning2:, too much gear to buy, too little money...
Yeah i got recommends from moedawg and some others that athena is really for me even though I want andromeda.

Athena is very musical and can sing you almost in a sexual trance state of mind in rock and hip hop, electronic. It's a nicely tuned iem.

But be forewarned this iem is not Reference material in any way. It is tuned away but it has tremendous detail and staging.
If you still dig this IEM. This could be your endgame iem. Since you like warm. You will feel at home

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #1,399 of 36,209
Found this image doing a google search. Not sure if it's an engineering drawing of there first Bluetooth dongle or Icarus 1

This is the rendering of the Icarus I that was posted on Instagram many months ago. Thanks for finding it!

But the way this night has been going, maybe not.

Just found this image on the KS campaign page for the Helio and Atlas IEM's. So once again I was wrong. Going back to the farm now!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #1,400 of 36,209
Yeah i got recommends from moedawg and some others that athena is really for me even though I want andromeda.

Athena is very musical and can sing you almost in a sexual trance state of mind in rock and hip hop, electronic. It's a nicely tuned iem.

But be forewarned this iem is not Reference material in any way. It is tuned away but it has tremendous detail and staging.
If you still dig this IEM. This could be your endgame iem. Since you like warm. You will feel at home

I'm actually very ineterested in getting the Vega as well. Quite a firm believer than I'm more into Dynamic/Hybrid in ears rather than pure BA's. But this might be able to change what I think. I guess it's time for me to head down the local store to check out the Andromeda and Vega.

Aug 16, 2017 at 12:49 AM Post #1,401 of 36,209
I'm actually very ineterested in getting the Vega as well. Quite a firm believer than I'm more into Dynamic/Hybrid in ears rather than pure BA's. But this might be able to change what I think. I guess it's time for me to head down the local store to check out the Andromeda and Vega.
If you like powerful bass and great details. Try out vega for sure.

They will give you best ride the best roller coaster can give.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #1,402 of 36,209
Were you able to find a Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital to buy, or were you just reading about it? Looks like a powerful, versatile little box! PCM to 32/768, DSD 512 plus maybe 1024, and MQA of some kind too. USB/coax/optical in, headphone + preamp out. USB line noise filtering and anti-jitter reclocking. Only 103 x 37 x 122 mm (~4.1" x 1.4" x 4.8" WxHxD). Runs off your USB power or a separate low voltage supply.

I was reading about them but they are out there can't remember exactly where..ebay i think and also snvynl.co.uk....been told that they make some pretty good stuff too although my knowledge of them myself is non existent , I was/am thinking of buying though just waiting for more reviews.

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:12 AM Post #1,403 of 36,209
Were you able to find a Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital to buy, or were you just reading about it? Looks like a powerful, versatile little box! PCM to 32/768, DSD 512 plus maybe 1024, and MQA of some kind too. USB/coax/optical in, headphone + preamp out. USB line noise filtering and anti-jitter reclocking. Only 103 x 37 x 122 mm (~4.1" x 1.4" x 4.8" WxHxD). Runs off your USB power or a separate low voltage supply.

I was reading about them but they are out there can't remember exactly where..ebay i think and also snvynl.co.uk....been told that they make some pretty good stuff too although my knowledge of them myself is non existent , I was/am thinking of buying though just waiting for more reviews.

Thanks. I don't think it's made it to the States yet. Pro-Ject has posted two very recent reviews by UK and German magazines. I found units on amazon.co.uk and ebay.co.uk for local sale only. Those may not be the exact same model, with different controls, wood sides, and nearly double the basic price. Should be € 349 / USD $400. I expect it will turn up on my side of the pond by October.

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #1,404 of 36,209
Thanks. I don't think it's made it to the States yet. Pro-Ject has posted two very recent reviews by UK and German magazines. I found units on amazon.co.uk and ebay.co.uk for local sale only. Those may not be the exact same model, with different controls, wood sides, and nearly double the basic price. Should be € 349 / USD $400. I expect it will turn up on my side of the pond by October.

No worrys and yes the ones you mentioned are different...its a pretty new product

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #1,405 of 36,209

When you're down there can you listen to the Lyra2 as well and tell me what you think in comparison? I'd be interested in what you have to say in case the Vega comes up on Massdrop in the near future. Want me to throw some post-rock comparison tracks on soundcloud? :wink:

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:29 AM Post #1,406 of 36,209
When you're down there can you listen to the Lyra2 as well and tell me what you think in comparison? I'd be interested in what you have to say in case the Vega comes up on Massdrop in the near future. Want me to throw some post-rock comparison tracks on soundcloud? :wink:

I'll just hit my full Mogwai, Mono, EITS, This Will Destroy You, Maybeshewill, and others playlist just for that. :p

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #1,408 of 36,209

Did a comparison in the Lyra II review I posted on here and Audio Primate, if it helps - relevant bit below:

Campfire Audio Vega (full review here )

The Vega is the current “big brother” of the Campfire range as of late 2016, sitting at the top of the pricing tree at $1299 and sharing the TOTL billing with its all-BA sibling the Andromeda. It shares an identically shaped housing and also uses a single 8.5mm dynamic driver like the Lyra II, but the driver technology and tuning of the Vega is different. Instead of beryllium, the Vega’s driver diaphragm (the thin film that moves to generate the sound) is made out of non-crystalline diamond, and is the first IEM sold commercially to do so according to the Campfire Audio website. As the packaging and ergonomics are identical, it is this driver that differentiates the two IEMs. So, is the price difference of $600 worth it?

Looking at the bass frequencies first, there is a notable difference between the Vega and Lyra II, with the Vega producing considerably more bass than the Lyra II. Despite the increase in volume, the Vega’s bass is extremely tight, dipping slightly lower than the Lyra II and having a heavier sub-bass presence. The Vega just has the edge in terms of speed as well, producing an extremely well textured and detailed lower frequency output that will keep fans of both an analytical and basshead signature equally happy. Switching to mids, the Vega is able to keep pace with the vocal delivery of the Lyra II in terms of emotion, and adds an extra layer of micro-detail and expression to the sound – the difference is more subtle than vast, but the slightly more energetic signature is more engaging (I find it “pulls” me into the song more), but as a result it loses some of the soothing nature of the silky midrange on the Lyra II – put simply, the Lyra II is an IEM you can relax with, the Vega is an IEM that gets your pulse racing.

Highs are definitively more forward on the Vega – it is actually rated slightly lower in terms of “final” extension, topping out at 22kHz, but the treble isn’t pushed back into the soundscape like the Lyra II, keeping step with the mids and bass in an “all-forward” signature. As a result, music that relies on cymbals and other percussion sounds crisper, and it brings an extra layer of crunch to guitar heavy music while losing none of the weight of the Lyra II. Micro-details and dynamics are noticeably better on the Vega (although again, the margins we are talking about are small rather than glaring), and the separation and layering is noticeably better on some tracks, the “wall of sound” carrying even more positional detail as it smashes you with the added bass weight of each note.

Listening to “Freak On A Leash” by Korn gives a good example of the difference between the two IEMs, with the Lyra II handling the drop at the 2 and a half minute mark with aplomb, but the Vega managing to keep pace with the Lyra II and managing to make the hairs on my arms stand up every time. Finally, the Vega is easier to drive than the Lyra II from all of my sources.

20161125_144656_HDR_zpstmgqwq7c.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #1,409 of 36,209
Looks interesting. Another to put on my list for consideration. It joins the new Schiit Jil. The Schiit goes to 24/192 and isn't a headphone amp. But Mike Moffat has more experience with digital than almost anyone. Half the price also.

Either way, ripping vinyl is more work than CDs. A lot more time consuming. Not sure I can bring myself to start such a project.

http://www.schiit.com/products/jil

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #1,410 of 36,209
Looks interesting. Another to put on my list for consideration. It joins the new Schiit Jil. The Schiit goes to 24/192 and isn't a headphone amp. But Mike Moffatt has more experience with digital than almost anyone. Half the price also.

Either way, ripping vinyl is more work than CDs. A lot more time consuming. Not sure I can bring myself to start such a project.

http://www.schiit.com/products/jil

I am looking to rip a bunch of vinyl and like Schiit stuff. Thanks for update here. It's just so time consuming, not sure I'll ever have the time...just hard to get started, once I'll get into it, it should prove worthwhile as some of the stuff I have on vinyl I don't have anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back