The Audio Lounge
Aug 16, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #1,426 of 36,382
So @JustBobski, you've got a new creation in the pipeline with a ceramic driver and we see several other companies are trying out graphene. What other sort of "exotic" materials have you, or others you know of, tested in the quest to find the most ideal dynamic driver material? Also, aside from shell shape, how much does the shell material impact the sound signature? That was a real sticking point in the original Flare R2 series; same driver, but the R2A was aluminum, R2S was stainless steel, and R2 Pro was titanium.

Aug 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #1,428 of 36,382
So @JustBobski, you've got a new creation in the pipeline with a ceramic driver and we see several other companies are trying out graphene. What other sort of "exotic" materials have you, or others you know of, tested in the quest to find the most ideal dynamic driver material? Also, aside from shell shape, how much does the shell material impact the sound signature? That was a real sticking point in the original Flare R2 series; same driver, but the R2A was aluminum, R2S was stainless steel, and R2 Pro was titanium.

Looked at lots of different coatings such as diamond etc and as mentioned had quite a play with graphene but right now nothing beats beryllium for small drivers, although I am playing with ceramic for large drivers also.

Different metals do make micro differences but majority is placebo. I would never use plastic ever as it has much bigger effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 16, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #1,429 of 36,382
Looked at lots of different coatings such as diamond etc and as mentioned had quite a play with graphene but right now nothing beats beryllium for small drivers, although I am playing with ceramic for large drivers also.

Different metals do make micro differences but majority is placebo. I would never use plastic ever as it has much bigger effect.

Glad to have you around again... Always a pleasure to read your impressions and comments. :)

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #1,432 of 36,382
I keep getting more excited. @Midgetguy how about an IMR R1 time share on a quarterly basis haha
Need to get out of a timeshare? Call Timeshare Exit Team! Lol, I've heard that ad so many times on my local radio.

I wonder how much it'll cost when it eventually comes out. If it's within my budget, I'm gonna need to get one. 3-year warranty too! Recent development: go to the IMR Acoustics FB for a frequency graph of some sort.

Aug 16, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,433 of 36,382
Need to get out of a timeshare? Call Timeshare Exit Team! Lol, I've heard that ad so many times on my local radio.

I wonder how much it'll cost when it eventually comes out. If it's within my budget, I'm gonna need to get one. 3-year warranty too! Recent development: go to the IMR Acoustics FB for a frequency graph of some sort.

Yeah, I'm also eager to see pricing on this. After buying the U8 though, I won't have much cash until next year. :D

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #1,434 of 36,382
Well this looks promising... From the IMR FB page.

The RHA CL1 put me off the idea of ceramic drivers... I might have to reconsider.

IMR.jpg

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #1,435 of 36,382
Well this looks promising... From the IMR FB page.

The RHA CL1 put me off the idea of ceramic drivers... I might have to reconsider.

F me, look at that straight line of lows from 20hz to 100hz....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back