The Audio Lounge
Aug 15, 2017 at 7:31 PM Post #1,366 of 36,382
I'm loving the conversations regarding BA and dynamic drivers. The whole reason why I went for the Icarus III was because of the large dynamic driver, always felt like it was the way to go in giving life to IEM's. Takes me back to the moment I first fell in love with this hobby and music. The sheer excitement I get when putting on a Dynamic driver headphone. Back when I first owned a pair of Graddos/Alessandro's, it's just like your first love.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #1,367 of 36,382
I often hear mentioned the use of BAs for sound isolation. Can a dynamic driver IEM be set up with a one-way valve or frequency canceling system at the port?

One more question I've been meaning to ask, can I weld up the port at the back of the can of my Delta V2 and relocate to the side of the shell that is not in freestream at speed? If so do you remember the size?

You are correct you can seal a BA and get the isolation. A dynamic needs a port to move the air otherwise you just get distortion and so a one way valve would have adverse effect.

You could seal the port and relocate. The port size is 0.5mm

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #1,368 of 36,382
Thanks for the intel, but I really don't want to be carrying around an amp again

I think the Masters were great for lows and upper mids with an enormous soundstage if you pull the main white acoustic damper membrane from the gunmetal filters and replace it with two pieces of black acoustic damper plugs, but other than that combo for percussion and guitars I didn't like any of the other filters and it was insanely hard to get a seal unless you use spiral dots, to this day it's hard to compare sound signature with others because you don't know whether they actually get a good seal or not.

The Icarus 3 with gold undamped filters were excellent and everyone can get a good fit, but I wish they were fleshed out a lot more, a lot more weight to the sound. When I hear a hammond step in I want my heart to flutter, sound that almost hurts but feels so good emotionally, like that time your girl sent a text message to you accidentally but you were going to break up with her anyway

I was able to get longer filters from TA. It took care of the hard to seal nature of the shorter filters. I ended up having threading issues with the gold and when they sent me replacements I noticed they were longer and then emailed Kieran and he sent me a full set of the longer filters. Have to say with the new filters they made a world of a difference with my masters. Been using them as my daily IEMs. Made a night and day difference for comfort and SQ.

IMG_0179.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #1,370 of 36,382
Glad I found this site, where Bob is contributing. Looking forward to seeing what he does on the future. Good luck, Bob.

Curious whether any of the people present at this thread know what is the exact functionality of the up and coming Icarus I from the Trinity Audio, since there is some uncertainty about it. It was (as far as I remember) as a DAP, but I got reminded this evening that it is only DAC (inline). Any definite info would be appreciated.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #1,372 of 36,382
Curious whether any of the people present at this thread know what is the exact functionality of the up and coming Icarus I from the Trinity Audio, since there is some uncertainty about it. It was (as far as I remember) as a DAP, but I got reminded this evening that it is only DAC (inline). Any definite info would be appreciated.
It's always just been a DAC. Never was it stated it would be a DAP. The Icarus II is the DAP.

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #1,373 of 36,382
You should see bob's newest IEM design. One of the best he's ever made IMO

Unless you already seen it :p welcome anyways!

I haven't! Mind helping me out on which page it's at? This thread has moved pretty quickly!

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #1,376 of 36,382
I just want IEM's that don't make my Tinnitus all ringy!! I wish this guy with the U8 would come back on head-fi so I can score a deal. :p

In the meantime, if ever someone with good design skills feels like attempting a Apex or ADEL type IEM, I'll be more than happy to beta test. :wink:
Want my Empire Ears Athena V-III ADEL :D (haven't gotten it, but very enticing)

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #1,377 of 36,382
It's always just been a DAC. Never was it stated it would be a DAP. The Icarus II is the DAP.

Interesting... I must have been dreaming then when looking at the Icarus I page, what specs I have seen. Thank You to all of you for the time and effort taken to answer my query... remains to be seen what the Icarus I will be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back