The Audio Lounge
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #14,027 of 36,387
While I'm sure the "tuning" plays in part, as well as the material used for the IEM to reflect sound, a ceramic drivers on top of a DD isn't new tech... Back when the R1 was released, many people who got the R1 got some chifi with the same setup (piezoelectric ceramic + 13mm DD) and said that other than the sound being a little dampened by the plastic chassis, sound was pretty similar. Does this mean the R1 was based on chifi tech? Maybe, we'll never really know unless someone cracks both opened to confirm. (FYI: I just found a bulk driver config identical to the R1's off alibaba going for 10$ USD per driver, batch of 1000)

As for the Zenith, it uses a piezoelectric ceramic + 14mm DD... I haven't seen a similar setup anywhere except the LZ A6 which I've found reference of using a similar setup, but with BA drivers and a 10mm woofer on top of it. Price wise, it's located at 2/3rd of what the Zenith costs at full price. Where the Zenith edges out a bit is with the 50% off and with the exchange of the R1's bringing the price down to £150. But again, if we compare it to the LZ A6, it's not really in the same league, just shares the same driver. Also, the whole "out of phase" issues with the Zenith make me wary about the b-stock product line.

The R2 will feature the same piezoelectric ceramic with a 15mm DD... THAT I haven't seen anywhere. So it's piqued my curiosity. However, again, at £360 with the conversion rate and considering the whole PTSD from Trinity, I'm not sure I'm willing to plunk down 600$ CAD of my money on gear anymore.

No matter how you spin it, the markup on IMR gear is massive. No matter the tuning efforts to get sound right, it's still excessive. Thankfully for Bob, not everyone sees it that way and some find value in them to an extent. But the whole coupon, second hand, fire sale, limited run with special braided cable (REMEMBER THE HUNTERS) scheme from Trinity shows me he might not be selling as many as we think and that makes me wary of going for the R2's.

Very good post .. I don't own imr1 but even for an outsider there is just to many similarities for me and I'm not just talking about discounts practice etc .. The build even in a picture does not look like a 500 dollar iem to me, It looks about the same bulld quality as the sabre which for its price was ok but the sabre wasn't trying to be a £500 iem... .I'm sorry guys and I'm not trying to offend anyone who purchased it... we all know my views on the situation and if he's offering big discounts again then my trinitydar would be going off.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #14,028 of 36,387
Here was me thinking we'd all escaped here to run away from Trinity discussions.

I have no diea what iems are "worth" (though as with most things they are probably worth what people are willing to spend on them), however with all the discounting available I would be amazed if anyone actually paid full price for the R1s (if they did then they can't have done that much research). Very much strikes me to be like the DFS sale in the UK in that it never ends.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #14,029 of 36,387
I'm afraid I'll receive my package and it'll just be a note laughing at me in chinese. :darthsmile:

More than likely it will be a giant "Blowing you a Kiss" Emoticon:scream_cat:

Must be the extra special Tuning on those HYLA's:grin: I do know they have some serious as well as extremely RICH Audiophiles in Japan:smirk:

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #14,030 of 36,387
Here was me thinking we'd all escaped here to run away from Trinity discussions.

I have no diea what iems are "worth" (though as with most things they are probably worth what people are willing to spend on them), however with all the discounting available I would be amazed if anyone actually paid full price for the R1s (if they did then they can't have done that much research). Very much strikes me to be like the DFS sale in the UK in that it never ends.

I thought this thread was the opposite so we could speak openly about trinity or any subject, this inckudes shennanagans associated when we feel the need, .. As far as I and some others are concerned to us it looks like the same person under a different guise so to me and a few others it's relevant.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #14,031 of 36,387

Trust me, Trinity discussions are few and far between... They only resurface in a sudden PTSD moment or when Bob releases a new IMR product. :grin:

**edit** And some people DID pay R1's full price.. I actually thought it was pretty insane. I got a pair during a "boxing day promo" and he said "Offer me anything that you think is fair", let's just say he discounted it by A LOT. And when a set got lost in the mail, he sent another pair free of charge. When both ended up arriving, he said keep both. What does that tell you his IEM's are worth?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #14,032 of 36,387
Didn't read this until this morning but this is honestly is no surprise to me, the prices he was quoting on the trinity stuff before the "fantastic" pre order price were no where near in comparison to quality...oh and I lied he still owes me £10 for my gamble dac lol

Nothing like a bit of trinity bashing to start the morning I feel better already lol

Our household is out about £300 because of that whole fiasco. Personally I am angry about it... and yet, here I am with a pair of Zeniths because "someone" pre-ordered in spite of all that happened. The first batch was wired internally out of phase, lol. So after replacements were sent guess who was given the out of phase one. Fixed by turning one of the cable inputs around. Sounds great! Probably the best I have... and yet, I still love all my budget iems and especially my buds. Plus I have a few pairs of decent headphones :)

Probably should open the earpiece and fix it internally but a bit frightened that something will break.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #14,033 of 36,387
I'm afraid I'll receive my package and it'll just be a note laughing at me in chinese. :darthsmile:

If it looks like this ----> "哈哈哈哈哈~"
then you know you've been royally shafted :D

Thanks for the best wishes guys, I do appreciate it.
I really wouldn't know where to begin in terms of explaining what's been going on..

Brief 'highlights' include: a long term illness/disability contracted 7 years ago (I now know it can be overcome to the degree to which I can live a normal life again; should take another 18-24 months or so); an abusive relationship of the same length (I was the victim, as opposed to the 'perp' lol); divorce; blackmail, child abduction, stress-related illnesses (perhaps unsurprising lol).
And worst of all, I ordered a DAC/Amp from a company called Trinity in 2016 and it still hasn't arrived :joy:

Despite the horror show above, just to reassure you, I remain extremely positive, and never stop working towards rebuilding my life and achieving my goals (health, wealth, spiritual etc) :)
As I commented previously, from where I am now, surely the only way is up :p

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #14,034 of 36,387
If it looks like this ----> "哈哈哈哈哈~"
then you know you've been royally shafted :D

Thanks for the best wishes guys, I do appreciate it.
I really wouldn't know where to begin in terms of explaining what's been going on..

Brief 'highlights' include: a long term illness/disability contracted 7 years ago (I now know it can be overcome to the degree to which I can live a normal life again; should take another 18-24 months or so); an abusive relationship of the same length (I was the victim, as opposed to the 'perp' lol); divorce; blackmail, child abduction, stress-related illnesses (perhaps unsurprising lol).
And worst of all, I ordered a DAC/Amp from a company called Trinity in 2016 and it still hasn't arrived :joy:

Despite the horror show above, just to reassure you, I remain extremely positive, and never stop working towards rebuilding my life and achieving my goals (health, wealth, spiritual etc) :)
As I commented previously, from where I am now, surely the only way is up :p

Thanks for the head's up on the chinese text. :grinning:

Ouch. And I thought my 2018/2019 was rough. :astonished: Glad to see you're staying positive and that things are looking up for you...... Except the Trinity part. Don't let that ruin everything. :joy:

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #14,035 of 36,387

And thats what I Iike about you, even when your clearly have been through it you still have a joke there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:... Good stuff keep your chin up.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #14,036 of 36,387
Our household is out about £300 because of that whole fiasco. Personally I am angry about it... and yet, here I am with a pair of Zeniths because "someone" pre-ordered in spite of all that happened. The first batch was wired internally out of phase, lol. So after replacements were sent guess who was given the out of phase one. Fixed by turning one of the cable inputs around. Sounds great! Probably the best I have... and yet, I still love all my budget iems and especially my buds. Plus I have a few pairs of decent headphones :)

Probably should open the earpiece and fix it internally but a bit frightened that something will break.

All you guys talking about the Zeniths being so nice makes me wanna trade in my R1's for them. STOP IT. :triportsad:

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #14,037 of 36,387
All you guys talking about the Zeniths being so nice makes me wanna trade in my R1's for them. STOP IT. :triportsad:
I couldn't resist and purchased the R2 after I purchased the R1Z yesterday..... :ksc75smile: I make myself laugh. After all the anti-Bob discussion yesterday and the PTSD that all you guys exhibited.... What the h-e-double-hocky-sticks. This Bob guy is a master manipulator.

By the way the R2 looks really cool.

Bob must have a reality distortion field....

dt100923.gif

Apr 10, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #14,039 of 36,387

Now this would just be me but if I were Bob (knowing he never intended to dupe so many over towards the final demise of Trinity) and reading all the fine takes on me in all the threads that shred me I would have trouble honoring a trade from the disgruntled. Not saying he did not have some share of the blame but I have and always will believe it was not a single handed maneuver:wink: Probably the reason I let him slide on my 10 Icarus II:rolling_eyes: I also know that in all my dealings with Bob direct I have never been done wrong or even slighted in the least (go ahead and blame it on my good looks) and I have had many exchanges and transactions with Bob direct pre/post TA as well as ongoing with IMR. Bob has never been anything but professional with me (refer back to the good looks part here) still is to this day, did not matter if it was an exchange, trade, repair or just an upgrade. Matter a fact my Gorilla fingers managed to strip out the threading on my open/close knob on my R1 Zenith and Bob said he would send out a new one but I did not want to disrupt inventory or sales flow so I just ask for a mailing address and he repaired/replaced that side and promptly returned it which is how he has always been with me. Therefore I can't go where so many have with him here but I conduct myself as others conduct themselves with me. And when I say I've done plenty of business with him before and after I mean plenty! Now with all that said I fully understand why so many of you feel the way that you do it's just not the case for me.

Trinity Tribute - The Bob.JPG

And this shot is missing Hyperion's absconded by the little woman and the two pair of Techne's my 14 -17 year old managed to destroy over a 3 year period and I've never seen a pair of iem's that could be washed so many times and still sound great all the way to their cable death:disappointed:

Since you are on the fence with the Zenith's I have to say having both the Zenith's do trump (God I hate that word almost as much or maybe because of the MAN):hushed:

Zenith R1’s!.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back