The Audio Lounge
May 31, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #7,831 of 36,226
Using the HD600 as the baseline, here's what I thought of the other two. I am using my Opus 1 metal which is a bit warm.

Vs LCD2-C
Lows : There is quite a bit more sub-bass.
Mids : Very slightly recessed compared to the HD600.
Highs : Slightly darker and not as airy
Sound is more articulate. Soundstage better defined and deeper with a more 3d effect instead of just being wide. Layering and separation is better because of this. Detail level is slightly higher.

Vs Sundara
Tonality
Lows : Still more sub-bass than the HD600 but not as much as the LCD2-C and its more controlled.
Mids : Sounds similar to the HD600
Highs : The airiest of the 3, it feels more open

Compared to the other 2, the Sundara sounds noticeably more transparent. Where the other 2 have a slightly softer attack, this has a sharper and thinner attack. Soundstage wise this has an open feeling (probably due to the airyness). It's as detailed as the the LCD2-C but details are a little more noticeable especially in the treble.

The HD600 is the most comfortable, the Sundara is a bit bulkier and the LCD2-C is the heaviest and most uncomfortable. It's clamping force is a bit too much.

The LCD2-C is a little easier to drive compared to the HD600. The Sundara is a little bit more power hungry than the HD600.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #7,832 of 36,226
Woah that's awesome! I'm intending on running them with tubes. So might vary if you're using SS.
Any particular genres you'd like me to try out?

They have Cayin's flagship tube amp (HA-300) here but I though it sounded more like a SS amp when I tried it just now.

Attachments

• IMG_20180531_195149.jpg
    IMG_20180531_195149.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
May 31, 2018 at 7:56 AM Post #7,833 of 36,226
Any particular genres you'd like me to try out?

They have Cayin's flagship tube amp (HA-300) here but I though it sounded more like a SS amp when I tried it just now.

I listen to alot of instrumental stuff, Post-rock, ambient. Mainstream stuff are like, alternative rock, or Mayer... Who doesn't love Mayer? But your initial comparison, seems like the Sundara's would be a step up for me. But I'll lsiten to it when I have the chance! Addicted to Audio has the same setup as I do at home.

Thanks alot! Cheers, hope you enjoyed the HD600's haha.

May 31, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #7,834 of 36,226
I listen to alot of instrumental stuff, Post-rock, ambient. Mainstream stuff are like, alternative rock, or Mayer... Who doesn't love Mayer? But your initial comparison, seems like the Sundara's would be a step up for me. But I'll lsiten to it when I have the chance! Addicted to Audio has the same setup as I do at home.

Thanks alot! Cheers, hope you enjoyed the HD600's haha.
lol I only used a few instrumental tracks to test it out and mostly mainstream stuff. The differences will probably be more pronounced with instrumental stuff since most of my more complex test tracks are instrumental.

Give me around 20-30 mins.

The HD600 was indeed very nice.

May 31, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #7,835 of 36,226
Using Matsuri from the album Kojiki :

Vs Sundara
A lot more impactful and dynamic on the drums. The overall sound is clearer and more transparent.

Vs LCD2-C
Still more impactful but it hits a little softer compared to the more articulate Sundara. Clearer and more transparent than the HD600 but not as airy in the treble compared to the Sundara.

Using Track 1-Dragon Racing from How to train your Dragon 2 soundtrack. (my most demanding track)

Vs LCD2-C
The darker treble of the LCD2-C makes it sound more congested than the HD 600. Soundstage is still bigger than the HD600 but it's no longer better separated than the HD600.

Vs Sundara
The transparency of the Sundara helps a lot with this track as instruments are very well layered and are well separated from each other with an open and effortless feeling. Coming from the other two it sounds thinner and sharper though so while I like it, some may find it too thin. It's not HD800 thin though. Best if you try it.

For me, I prefer the airy and more transparent sound of the Sundaras for instrumental music. The treble of the LCD2-C is a bit dark and isn't too well suited for this kind of genre.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #7,836 of 36,226
At another bigger headphone store. Should be able to give some impressions in an hour.

Left to right: LCD2-C, HD600, Sundara
Classic: HD600 as the baseline to compare against :D. And not only that, the other two headphones cost nearly twice as much or more and the HD600 still puts up a fantastic fight. It's not a king, but a legend. And its comfort level is one of the things I love about it too. Agreed that the LCD-2 would be the most uncomfortable because it's similar to the old Hifiman design, which was heavy. Hifiman's designs have done much better these days in the comfort department, but HD600 still takes it for me, I think partially due to the oval cups feeling like a more natural shape to be around my ears. Clamping force was also actually a little less than the HE560 I used to have, even if I hadn't stretched the HD600 headband a bit (which I had done because IMO, the initial clamping force of the HD600 is still a little too much).

May 31, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #7,837 of 36,226
Actually I've been to this store quite a few times before this and have actually heard most of their stuff. I just went today because they just brought in Cayin's flagship amp and Audio GD's flagship R2R dac.

Pic of their rack
IMG_20180531_203648.jpg

May 31, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #7,838 of 36,226
Actually I've been to this store quite a few times before this and have actually heard most of their stuff. I just went today because they just brought in Cayin's flagship amp and Audio GD's flagship R2R dac.

Pic of their rack

Very nice I think the problem with the UK is half of it would be stolen by the opening days lunch time ....sad realy.

May 31, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #7,839 of 36,226
Very nice I think the problem with the UK is half of it would be stolen by the opening days lunch time ....sad realy.
I see a business opportunity :p

Maybe I should open one there

May 31, 2018 at 5:06 PM Post #7,842 of 36,226
Lou reeds "transformer" tonight, what a classic album.
One of my favourite albums to listen to before I went out for the night in my earlier days

May 31, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #7,844 of 36,226
One of my favourite albums to listen to before I went out for the night in my earlier days

Not listened to it in quite a while , been having a nostalgic night of albums /artists that I haven't listened to in a while followed it by some of the doors stuff, "the end" "love her madly" "hello i love you" etc etc ...love jim Morrison what a legend.
To anyone who's not a doors fan just watch The doors film with Val Kilmer it's amazing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back