The Audio Lounge
Oct 17, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #4,261 of 36,079
Hey guys. Does anyone else get tired of this. I posted this rant on m3s thread where people are bashing other daps.

Everywhere I go on headfi looking at gear. I always see people asking if this is better than this!! Which one has better SQ! This dap sounds lifeless and crap!!!

I guess consumers enjoy watching products beat the crud out of each other like it's a gladiator match. I can't go anywhere but here and SS forum where devices are not being cursed or compared and beaten for sounding how their creators made them sound.

It seems people care way too much about the gear rather than music itself.

I like this place a lot where people also share music where no matter what gear you are using. Anyone anywhere with a pair of headphones/earphones/speakers/ can listen and enjoy.

I guess this is where jude and others might as well take away this person's audiophile card.

*dragged away from mic

I have had to unsubscribe from many threads just becouse of this. I can't stand the constant complaining and bashing. I made the mistake of saying that one poster shouldn't be buying new items if they can't wait for updates and fixes....boy did that go over well...

This is one of the only threads that I can come to and be with smart and like-minded people. Love you folks....

Oct 17, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #4,262 of 36,079
Last edited:
Oct 17, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #4,264 of 36,079
I have had to unsubscribe from many threads just becouse of this. I can't stand the constant complaining and bashing. I made the mistake of saying that one poster shouldn't be buying new items if they can't wait for updates and fixes....boy did that go over well...

This is one of the only threads that I can come to and be with smart and like-minded people. Love you folks....

Love ya man, but you can’t have my bud lite. :beyersmile: :beerchug:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #4,265 of 36,079
Hey guys. Does anyone else get tired of this. I posted this rant on m3s thread where people are bashing other daps.

Everywhere I go on headfi looking at gear. I always see people asking if this is better than this!! Which one has better SQ! This dap sounds lifeless and crap!!!

I guess consumers enjoy watching products beat the crud out of each other like it's a gladiator match. I can't go anywhere but here and SS forum where devices are not being cursed or compared and beaten for sounding how their creators made them sound.

I like this place a lot where people also share music where no matter what gear you are using. Anyone anywhere with a pair of headphones/earphones/speakers/ can listen and enjoy.

I guess this is where jude and others might as well take away this person's audiophile card.

*dragged away from mic
To be fair, source components should all be made to a standard suitable for their intended purposes.
Deviations should be considered flaws.

Oct 18, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #4,266 of 36,079

*dragged away from mic
I'm not sure if this completely relates to what you're saying, but I always appreciate this mans perspective...

Oct 18, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #4,268 of 36,079
Now I see why the Orion is $130.
It's rather old (from 2015) with scratches on the shell and most of the accessories missing (only a pair of usable tips and the case. No spinfits, clean tool or any of the other sizes, and the foamtips are disintegrating. No cable either ofc).
It works perfectly fine however.

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #4,269 of 36,079
To be fair, source components should all be made to a standard suitable for their intended purposes.
Deviations should be considered flaws.
One example I've seen a long while back was the bashing of NuForce for its uDAC2, which was found to be warmer and certainly not a neutral DAC/amp implementation. People ragged on it pretty hard for that, but NuForce said it was an intentional design decision. I saw all of this after I had personally owned the uDAC2 (and I still have it) and literally couldn't care less. So what? Their intent was not flat neutral. And the end result? In my use, it's not bad and actually quite favorable. The uDAC2 has a warm tilt to it which pairs very well with my SHP9500. So yes, there's something to be said for particular intents. If the intent isn't for neutral, then a deviation from neutral should not be considered a flaw.

Now I see why the Orion is $130.
It's rather old (from 2015) with scratches on the shell and most of the accessories missing (only a pair of usable tips and the case. No spinfits, clean tool or any of the other sizes, and the foamtips are disintegrating. No cable either ofc).
It works perfectly fine however.
How scratched up? I've seen ones that people say are scratched up, but barely so. There wasn't a huge accessory set with the CA IEMs anyway. If you have the case, then all the other stuff is really cheap to replace. Or if you're me, no need even to buy new tips, I've got many from other IEMs that aren't in use but fit my ears great. And as for the cable....sure you could get a more expensive one, but I'm using a $15 one from Amazon for my Pinnacle P2 and if I were in your position with the cableless Orion, I'd probably get the exact same cable and not bat an eye. All in all, you've still gotten what was heralded as one of the best single-BA IEMs for less than $200. One that was over $400 at launch and I believe its successor still retails for over $300 (with relatively minor changes).

Oct 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #4,270 of 36,079
How scratched up? I've seen ones that people say are scratched up, but barely so. There wasn't a huge accessory set with the CA IEMs anyway. If you have the case, then all the other stuff is really cheap to replace. Or if you're me, no need even to buy new tips, I've got many from other IEMs that aren't in use but fit my ears great. And as for the cable....sure you could get a more expensive one, but I'm using a $15 one from Amazon for my Pinnacle P2 and if I were in your position with the cableless Orion, I'd probably get the exact same cable and not bat an eye. All in all, you've still gotten what was heralded as one of the best single-BA IEMs for less than $200. One that was over $400 at launch and I believe its successor still retails for over $300 (with relatively minor changes).
It has scratches on the sharp edges, looks like normal wear and tear from carrying in bags or pockets. The tips may not worth much but I do wish I got the spinfits (though idk if they had those bundled in 2015). Also I just got the FiiO mmcx cable. It's OFC as stated by FiiO, so not too different from the silver-plated copper OG cable.
Also the leather case has this weird smell, probably from being left in a corner for too long. I need to find a way to clean this.
Also need a way to clean the insides of the nozzles too since there's no cleaning tool.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #4,271 of 36,079
New kids on the block:

Bro&Seahf150.jpg

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #4,272 of 36,079
It has scratches on the sharp edges, looks like normal wear and tear from carrying in bags or pockets. The tips may not worth much but I do wish I got the spinfits (though idk if they had those bundled in 2015). Also I just got the FiiO mmcx cable. It's OFC as stated by FiiO, so not too different from the silver-plated copper OG cable.
Also the leather case has this weird smell, probably from being left in a corner for too long. I need to find a way to clean this.
Also need a way to clean the insides of the nozzles too since there's no cleaning tool.

Leather part of the case, the inside or both? What with the different materials, I'd imagine you might be looking for different cleaning agents depending on what part of the case you're trying to rid of the smell. Does look like normal wear and tear for their earlier anodized coating. Good luck with it all! :D

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #4,273 of 36,079
Leather part of the case, the inside or both? What with the different materials, I'd imagine you might be looking for different cleaning agents depending on what part of the case you're trying to rid of the smell. Does look like normal wear and tear for their earlier anodized coating. Good luck with it all! :D
Does the new finish feel different from the old one?
As for the smell, it seems to come mostly from the leather.

Oct 18, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #4,274 of 36,079
Does the new finish feel different from the old one?
As for the smell, it seems to come mostly from the leather.
You mean the finish for the IEM? I'm not sure, I've only had the old finish. New one is supposedly more durable and more scratch-resistant. The old one was more prone to scratches and chipping as you can see on your used set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back