The Audio Lounge
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #4,171 of 36,081
no. There are no peer reviewed studies that I know and I have looked them up after looking up stuff for adel. I would not trust that person to be my doctor.
I advise anyone who is that person's patient to run away fast.

What is true is regardless of whether you wear headphones or earphones.
You will suffer hearing loss from exposure to loud volumes varying on how long you are exposed to them.

Edit: Lol. A doctor to give subjective advice than objective.

Internet doctors lmao.

Truthfully use your best judgment on your volume levels. @Brooko is a good example wanting to keep the remaining amount of hearing they have by listening to IEMs at a low volume but just enough to enjoy the details.

If you need to turn up volume, just be cautious when doing so. There is a lot of information we can look up on how long of DB we can be exposed to before we suffer hearing loss.
Which is the hairs falling off, etc.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #4,172 of 36,081
Any thing you use to listen to music with can be OK - but it depends on your listening level. If you listen to full sized headphones really loud - they will do just as much damage. The issue with IEMs is that they are sealed in your ear. With the seal activated, your whole head acts like an amplifier. You can prove it too. Do any sort of moderate exercise, and listen to your heart-beat with your fingers in your ears - its louder than with them out. Our ears come with a safety mechanism called the acoustic reflex. listening too loud triggers it, and it dampens the sound reaching our inner-ear. The problem is that most people simply turn the music up. Eventually the acoustic reflex is overwhelmed and damage occurs.

The secret is to train yourself to listen at lower levels. For me - using IEMs - I aim for constant listening level of 60-70 dB. After a while you get used to it.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #4,173 of 36,081
Can anyone confirm this? I don't wanna give up iems. {even though I have an ear infection right now}

to a certain extent.

pressure build up, high volumes, and dirty tips are bad. but if you use good judgment and let your ears rest after every hr and keep the tips and ear canal clean, then you should be ok. just think about this. people that have hearing aids have them in there all day.

this is also why I don't go full on basshead with iems anymore. the pressure build up and volume i listen at is definitely not good for me.

Doctors don't have all the answers, thats why its still called a "practice".

Edit: what brooko said :)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #4,174 of 36,081
@JaeYoon - what Pietro said does have an element of truth to it. With full sized headphones:
  • You don't have the drivers directly pumping into your ear canals
  • You don't have the same build up of back pressure, and subsequent head related amplification
  • There is less chance of constantly triggering the acoustic reflex (unless you are an absolute idiot, and insist on listening too loud)
So yes - he does know what he's talking about - its just probably simplified a lot. IEMs - if used properly - should not cause more issues than headphones.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #4,175 of 36,081
@JaeYoon - what Pietro said does have an element of truth to it. With full sized headphones:
  • You don't have the drivers directly pumping into your ear canals
  • You don't have the same build up of back pressure, and subsequent head related amplification
  • There is less chance of constantly triggering the acoustic reflex (unless you are an absolute idiot, and insist on listening too loud)
So yes - he does know what he's talking about - its just probably simplified a lot. IEMs - if used properly - should not cause more issues than headphones.
ah ok! Thanks for providing the bulletpoints.

I do know for sure back in day people used to pump Apple Earbuds to loud volumes, due to their poor isolation outdoors.
I could hear it when in a study group, some people leave it in one ear.
For sure things like that are already scary to me.

Oct 14, 2017 at 7:54 AM Post #4,177 of 36,081
I'm sitting here...
close.jpg
For this...
cticket.jpg
I hope I'm close enough to see Paul Gilbert... hehehe.... practically on stage...
10 minutes to go... getting pumped!

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #4,178 of 36,081
I'm sitting here...

For this...

I hope I'm close enough to see Paul Gilbert... hehehe.... practically on stage...
10 minutes to go... getting pumped!

Let us know how it was? :)

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #4,179 of 36,081
If any of you know prolific Head-Fi'er and all-round good guy @moedawg140 (and haven't seen the front page of Head-Fi), apparently he's in intensive care unit at a hospital in Germany after suffering a brain aneurysm and bleeding on the brain whilst participating in a wrestling tournament. There's a link to a page to raise money to cover the cost of his surgery. They're about 3/4 the way there, so please jump in if you're able to help!
https://www.gofundme.com/maurice-and-suzzettes-medical-fund

Oct 14, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #4,180 of 36,081
If any of you know prolific Head-Fi'er and all-round good guy @moedawg140 (and haven't seen the front page of Head-Fi), apparently he's in intensive care unit at a hospital in Germany after suffering a brain aneurysm and bleeding on the brain whilst participating in a wrestling tournament. There's a link to a page to raise money to cover the cost of his surgery. They're about 3/4 the way there, so please jump in if you're able to help!
Oh no! We used to compete for top poster.

Oct 14, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #4,181 of 36,081
The moneys going up at a steady rate, so let’s hope the target is reached very soon. I missed him at London CanJam this year even though he was wearing a full Arsenal kit!!! So I promised him a champions shirt for the next London CanJam. The champions and pride of London, Chelsea
Get well soon @moedawg140

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #4,182 of 36,081
no. There are no peer reviewed studies that I know and I have looked them up after looking up stuff for adel. I would not trust that person to be my doctor.
I advise anyone who is that person's patient to run away fast.

What is true is regardless of whether you wear headphones or earphones.
You will suffer hearing loss from exposure to loud volumes varying on how long you are exposed to them.

Edit: Lol. A doctor to give subjective advice than objective.

Internet doctors lmao.

Truthfully use your best judgment on your volume levels. @Brooko is a good example wanting to keep the remaining amount of hearing they have by listening to IEMs at a low volume but just enough to enjoy the details.

If you need to turn up volume, just be cautious when doing so. There is a lot of information we can look up on how long of DB we can be exposed to before we suffer hearing loss.
Which is the hairs falling off, etc.

Apex on the U8's does seem to help for me reduce the fatigue. Having sealed drums does change things around and tire me out much faster... So no peer review, but ADEL and Apex do seem to work for people like me that have issues with their ears.

Oct 14, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #4,183 of 36,081
Apex on the U8's does seem to help for me reduce the fatigue. Having sealed drums does change things around and tire me out much faster... So no peer review, but ADEL and Apex do seem to work for people like me that have issues with their ears.
Really? I have ear issues... Maybe I should try to upgrade my V6-Stage's to apex...

Oct 14, 2017 at 9:16 PM Post #4,184 of 36,081
Let us know how it was?
Bloody amazing, mate.
Very raw sound, I'm directly in the blast from Gilbert's Marshall amps, (and a mixed speaker directly in front-loud!) and he shredded like a demon.
Whole band absolutely killed for 2 hours.
They are such professionals, and also seem to really enjoy it - no dialling it in with these guys. I'm not a huge fan of the music, actually, more of Gilbert solo, but they blew me away last night.
(Excuse potato cam.. makes me look further away, was about 15 feet. :))
big.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back