The Audio Lounge
Oct 6, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #4,051 of 36,094
Just checked - nozzle design is different to RHA's - but I've seen that shape before on another brand. I just need to work out which ......

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #4,052 of 36,094
Taking a long weekend on Cape Cod and found a quiet time so listening to the Doobies. Just some great pieces. Have Long Train Running playing as I write and sipping some Ipswich Route1A IPA. Beautiful day...

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #4,053 of 36,094
IMG_0724.JPG

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:00 AM Post #4,056 of 36,094
Just checked - nozzle design is different to RHA's - but I've seen that shape before on another brand. I just need to work out which ......

That sounds like a tough thing to figure out to me....how many IEMs have passed through your stable over the years? :D

The nozzle shape/bore design is the same as the 64 Audio U4-SE - 64 are also US based, manufacture using 3D printing and would have access to 1000s of inner ear molds (which I believe they scan) from their CIEM lines.

The RHA Dacamp in the last picture did confuse the matter slightly, but I reckon it could definitely be a 64 Audio collaboration in some part. Just my completely uneducated guess! :wink:

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #4,057 of 36,094
Yeah - there's been a few ......

Oct 8, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #4,060 of 36,094
Anyone have the Massdrop/mee Pinnacle Px? If so does anyone think the Massdrop universal iems will borrow from that tech?
Almost certainly not. They're completely different driver types, let alone driver setups. The PX is a P1 with a Massdrop skin, so it's a single dynamic driver. This new Massdrop Plus is a triple-BA IEM with a crossover. Inherently completely different setups, but more importantly, the base tech is totally different: BA vs. dynamic driver. If the nozzle shape looking like a 64 Audio U4-SE's really is the indicator for the collaborating engineers behind it, then borrowing tech from 64 Audio is the most likely outcome, seeing as 64 Audio's expertise is also in BAs and, like @Jackpot77 said, they also have a bunch of 3D scans of ear molds that can be used.

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #4,061 of 36,094
Almost certainly not. They're completely different driver types, let alone driver setups. The PX is a P1 with a Massdrop skin, so it's a single dynamic driver. This new Massdrop Plus is a triple-BA IEM with a crossover. Inherently completely different setups, but more importantly, the base tech is totally different: BA vs. dynamic driver. If the nozzle shape looking like a 64 Audio U4-SE's really is the indicator for the collaborating engineers behind it, then borrowing tech from 64 Audio is the most likely outcome, seeing as 64 Audio's expertise is also in BAs and, like @Jackpot77 said, they also have a bunch of 3D scans of ear molds that can be used.
Oh wow, for some reason I missed the ba part. That's super exciting if 64audio is involved, especially since the old 1964 v3 was so well received. :call_me: :call_me:

Oct 8, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #4,062 of 36,094
Oh wow, for some reason I missed the ba part. That's super exciting if 64audio is involved, especially since the old 1964 v3 was so well received. :call_me: :call_me:

Before this becomes an uncontrollable rumour, I'd just like to point out it's only a guess that 64 Audio have had a have in some of it based on the unusual nozzle - is definitely not been confirmed anywhere so it could just as easily be one of the other big players in the CIEM game.

Oct 8, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #4,063 of 36,094
As @Jackpot77 said, IF it's 64Audio. As it stands though, either way, I'm pretty interested in this drop, whether it's more of a behind the scenes collab or if it's full-on Massdrop and they just happen to share some similarities with other manufacturers. Either way, I may have to try it.

Wish they did a better job integrating that 2-pin socket shape into the exterior of the shell though. Maybe embed a fancy MD graphic on there? Something to stand out and show that this is MD's homegrown IEM. Design right now is a bit bland TBH.

Oct 8, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #4,064 of 36,094
As @Jackpot77 said, IF it's 64Audio. As it stands though, either way, I'm pretty interested in this drop, whether it's more of a behind the scenes collab or if it's full-on Massdrop and they just happen to share some similarities with other manufacturers. Either way, I may have to try it.

Wish they did a better job integrating that 2-pin socket shape into the exterior of the shell though. Maybe embed a fancy MD graphic on there? Something to stand out and show that this is MD's homegrown IEM. Design right now is a bit bland TBH.
FYI, reading through the comments, if you're to take them at face value from those at MD (I don't see a reason not to, what point is there in lying?), this is not development or collab done with anyone we know in the audio industry. Someone did ask the question and the response was "While I can't say due to our non-disclosure agreements, I can say it's nobody in the Audio industry."

Certainly seems interesting though. I wonder if they intend to send any out for early reviews. Seeing as it'll be available Tuesday, I'm sure even if they did, they might not be out early enough for that timeline, but still, would have some value.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #4,065 of 36,094
FYI, reading through the comments, if you're to take them at face value from those at MD (I don't see a reason not to, what point is there in lying?), this is not development or collab done with anyone we know in the audio industry. Someone did ask the question and the response was "While I can't say due to our non-disclosure agreements, I can say it's nobody in the Audio industry."

Certainly seems interesting though. I wonder if they intend to send any out for early reviews. Seeing as it'll be available Tuesday, I'm sure even if they did, they might not be out early enough for that timeline, but still, would have some value.
Wow! Thank you for the research. I guess Massdrop wants to take the credit/blame for these. Very interesting. :call_me: :call_me:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back