The Audio Lounge
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #4,021 of 36,100
I have both those albums they're wonderful. However with the recent death of Tom Petty we only have two Wilburys left now.

So with more phones coming out now without a headphone socket (New Pixls the latest to have this) and if this trend is to continue, what are people's thoughts on using lighting or usb-c to 3.5mm adapters? Or are more people going to look at external DACs?

My current preferance is to avoid phones without 3.5mm sockets, but this may get harder as time goes on. Currently using a iPhone 6s Plus, if I replace this year it'll probably be with the new LG V30.

I have high hopes that the Newer Phones without headphone jack, will start allowing lossless 16/44 Quality, or Better, data transmission via Bluetooth. Sony's LDAC is already able to do this via bluetooth. For most of my "on the go" listening; that would be more than good enough sound quality. Bluetooth 5 and Android Oreo should help make this happen... Though have not seen this advertised by any phone manufacturer yet... Give it another year.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #4,023 of 36,100
ok I was wrong. But I was right about Shanling!
Thanks for support!

For sure guys, if you want a chi-fi player, and haven't bought hidizs. Please support shanling!

@Midgetguy, you know you want it!! :p
Too rich for my blood, gotta save money! Of course, that plan goes out the damn window every month or so cuz there's something else I want! Whether it's a game or a new IEM....gahh!!! Can you just send me part of your paycheck every month? Lol :p

Hate that phones have this much of a hold over our hobby. Sound quality is low on the priority list for most of the manufacturers. Guessing more phones will remove the standard earphone connection.
Well, all these years I've listened to music on the go, it's been phone in right pocket, iPod on left pocket. Seems that's not going to be changing.

I have high hopes that the Newer Phones without headphone jack, will start allowing lossless 16/44 Quality, or Better, data transmission via Bluetooth. Sony's LDAC is already able to do this via bluetooth. For most of my "on the go" listening; that would be more than good enough sound quality. Bluetooth 5 and Android Oreo should help make this happen... Though have not seen this advertised by any phone manufacturer yet... Give it another year.
I figure it should be good enough. I've tried bluetooth music from my iPod Touch 5g to my TEAC amp which has BT functions and while it's expectedly not as good as when coming directly from my computer, it wasn't that bad at all, certainly good enough to still be enjoyable. The thing about it is that it's going to restrict you to purely BT IEMs, which are aplenty now, but scarce in terms of ones that give both great sound quality and wireless functions. If I were to listen to something like, say my Pinnacle P2 or JH16s (or really any IEM I currently have right now), it's going to have to be wired because the IEMs themselves don't have wireless functionality. To me, the bottleneck isn't how good BT audio quality is; it's whether or not you have good IEMs to receive those BT signals in the first place.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #4,025 of 36,100
The thing about it is that it's going to restrict you to purely BT IEMs, which are aplenty now, but scarce in terms of ones that give both great sound quality and wireless functions. If I were to listen to something like, say my Pinnacle P2 or JH16s (or really any IEM I currently have right now), it's going to have to be wired because the IEMs themselves don't have wireless functionality. To me, the bottleneck isn't how good BT audio quality is; it's whether or not you have good IEMs to receive those BT signals in the first place.

Well. yes and no... I suspect that these type small bluetooth receivers will be available to handle the BT 5 and minimum 16/44 lossless in a year of so... https://www.inateck.com/wireless-products/inateck-br1006-black.html And they would let you use Low Impedance, high efficience iEM's, some headphones without an amp... APYx-HD is supposed to be quite good, but only available from a few phones. Supposedly the Spandragon 835 SOC is supposed to include APTX-HD, but all phone makers may not use it (or pay a rpyalty to activate it?).

Anyway, "lossless" BT Receivers will be option to connect to IEM's, or even a home stereo system... They are fairly small and light and work for about 8 hrs on a charge. Stuff in any pocket. Phone can be in backpack, or inside a (non metal) desk drawer for safety...

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #4,026 of 36,100
Well. yes and no... I suspect that these type small bluetooth receivers will be available to handle the BT 5 and minimum 16/44 lossless in a year of so... https://www.inateck.com/wireless-products/inateck-br1006-black.html And they would let you use Low Impedance, high efficience iEM's, some headphones without an amp... APYx-HD is supposed to be quite good, but only available from a few phones. Supposedly the Spandragon 835 SOC is supposed to include APTX-HD, but all phone makers may not use it (or pay a rpyalty to activate it?).

Anyway, "lossless" BT Receivers will be option to connect to IEM's, or even a home stereo system... They are fairly small and light and work for about 8 hrs on a charge. Stuff in any pocket. Phone can be in backpack, or inside a (non metal) desk drawer for safety...
I think we've got a misunderstanding on what I'm shooting for, so sorry if my intentions aren't clear. If I'm gonna go BT, then it's gonna be basically wireless all around. If I'm connecting my IEMs to a BT device like the one you linked, then what's the damn point (at least in my situation anyway)? I might as well just be pocketing an actual DAP to connect my wired IEMs rather than a module that only receives BT. Again, the BT spec and signal transmission aspect is not what I'm worried about, it's the part about receiving a signal in an ergonomically superior package. Using a BT receiver isn't an ergonomically superior solution, it's almost the exact same thing other than that you now consolidated your music functions onto your phone as well. I don't care how good BT tech gets, if the hardware integration with the IEMs themselves don't catch up, then no progress has been made on a superior ergonomic solution. And that's the entire point of going wireless.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #4,027 of 36,100
I think we've got a misunderstanding on what I'm shooting for, so sorry if my intentions aren't clear. If I'm gonna go BT, then it's gonna be basically wireless all around. If I'm connecting my IEMs to a BT device like the one you linked, then what's the damn point (at least in my situation anyway)? I might as well just be pocketing an actual DAP to connect my wired IEMs rather than a module that only receives BT. Again, the BT spec and signal transmission aspect is not what I'm worried about, it's the part about receiving a signal in an ergonomically superior package. Using a BT receiver isn't an ergonomically superior solution, it's almost the exact same thing other than that you now consolidated your music functions onto your phone as well. I don't care how good BT tech gets, if the hardware integration with the IEMs themselves don't catch up, then no progress has been made on a superior ergonomic solution. And that's the entire point of going wireless.

Hmm, Seems like you want to make information sharing into an argument ??? Sorry, won't bite that hook.

Of course it will be integrated into iems. Just expect to pay for high quality.

I was simply answering your question on how to use your existing earphones with BT.

I

Oct 5, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #4,028 of 36,100
Hmm, Seems like you want to make information sharing into an argument ??? Sorry, won't bite that hook.

I was simply answering your question on how to use your existing earphones with BT.

First "argument" in 270 pages worth. :) We have good odds!

And I really don't think it was Midgetguy's purpose to make this into an argument... I think he was just reiterating what he was looking forward to in the BT realm, as am I. I agree that wireless comm has a long way to go, especially if we hope to ever get losless. Even Apt-X HD isn't true losless... Over time, devices will come natively wireless, that's the direction tech is taking. But for now, there are still some pretty important hurdles to jump. :)

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #4,029 of 36,100

I
Not really an argument at all. Either you're reading it wrong or I'm writing it wrong (likely the latter). What I'm presenting is a set of facts: wireless tech that is both high in sound quality and small enough to go into IEMs (not just the ones wired bud to bud cuz that's slightly cheating, though not entirely untrue, to say it's wireless :p) isn't quite there yet, is not in abundance, and certainly not cheap. Your presentation of the solution is certainly a solution, but not one that addressed my original post you quoted (note I said "IEMs receiving a signal", not a BT module connected to an IEM). Like I said in my last post, we have a misunderstanding of definition; you thought in terms of wireless as the end result, while I thought in terms of completely wireless in all aspects.

This stuff's gonna be pricey, you're totally right about that, but I think we're still a long way from the vision of putting just IEMs in your ears and having them work wirelessly. At this point, it's not even a question of price; we just literally don't have the technology to pair any of the higher end IEMs with wireless tech without going the route of solutions like the one you suggested. Stuff like what you linked will get smaller and should have no problems handling stuff as efficient as IEMs, but it's not small enough to go into IEMs themselves for one reason: battery. The receiver, the amp circuity, the DAC, all that pales in comparison to the battery. Signal transmission isn't much of a worry right now at this point, it's good enough to feed you enjoyable music. Powering all those components and having decent battery life? THAT's the real problem. Battery tech has been more or less at a standstill for several years now and it's the most immediately limiting factor on our dreams of a wireless audio world.

First "argument" in 270 pages worth. :) We have good odds!

And I really don't think it was Midgetguy's purpose to make this into an argument... I think he was just reiterating what he was looking forward to in the BT realm, as am I. I agree that wireless comm has a long way to go, especially if we hope to ever get losless. Even Apt-X HD isn't true losless... Over time, devices will come natively wireless, that's the direction tech is taking. But for now, there are still some pretty important hurdles to jump. :)
Nearly 270 pages and only one "argument" so far??? Damn, I gotta step it up. What are we doing here all day if we're not arguing at least half the time? Listening to music with only pleasant discussion in between? :D

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #4,031 of 36,100
Whattt?!?!?
Fields of Gold was by Eva Cassidy?! Until just now, I'd always believed it was written by Sting!
My word.. I've never really listened to Eva Cassidy in my defence.
But after hearing that song by her, I think I'll make time to do so :)
Is she playing the guitar too? Or if not, then who is? That's some lovely guitar right there!

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #4,032 of 36,100
Whattt?!?!?
Fields of Gold was by Eva Cassidy?! Until just now, I'd always believed it was written by Sting!
My word.. I've never really listened to Eva Cassidy in my defence.
But after hearing that song by her, I think I'll make time to do so :)
Is she playing the guitar too? Or if not, then who is? That's some lovely guitar right there!

It reminds me of this clip from a British 'fake news' TV show, in which it discovered that many of Bob Dylan's songs were actually performed decades earlier by George Formby :D
And if you can bear a bit of swearing, the gangsta rap spoof at the end of the clip (Fur Q) is hilarious :p

Hope you all like it. It made me laugh, quite a lot :D

Oct 5, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #4,034 of 36,100
I want to know more about BT 5, is this coming out soon?
BT 5 itself is actually out and it's deployed/being deployed in devices already. For example, the Samsung Galaxy S8 has a BT 5-enabled chip in it, but see this article to note that its capabilities are gimped. Of course, that article is over 4 months old and perhaps that's changed now that Apple is releasing their phones with BT 5 as well, though I also don't know yet if that's gimped or not; I only searched all of 3 seconds for that article on the S8. Devices sending the signal are in circulation now, but devices that receive that signal haven't gotten traction yet.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #4,035 of 36,100
BT 5 itself is actually out and it's deployed/being deployed in devices already. For example, the Samsung Galaxy S8 has a BT 5-enabled chip in it, but see this article to note that its capabilities are gimped. Of course, that article is over 4 months old and perhaps that's changed now that Apple is releasing their phones with BT 5 as well, though I also don't know yet if that's gimped or not; I only searched all of 3 seconds for that article on the S8. Devices sending the signal are in circulation now, but devices that receive that signal haven't gotten traction yet.
Great explains, thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back