The Audio Lounge
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #4,006 of 36,104
Oct 3, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #4,007 of 36,104
TFZ is dropping on MASSDROP again.

If the drivers are the same, then we should just get exclusive 1, right?
As far I can tell, the drivers are the same basic driver unit, but the difference is supposed to be various levels of tuning. Otherwise, kinda pointless to have several models with the same driver if the cheap one can do exactly what the expensive one can. I don't have any of them so it's not like I could compare the cheap one to the more expensive one to say whether or not there's a reason to buy the pricier version of the same driver. I have to imagine they're not total idiots and while the base driver is the same, there's gotta be a justifiable amount of difference between the various models.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #4,008 of 36,104
Regarding bands, my parents can certainly put me to shame lol.
They were hippies back in the day and saw Cream, Led Zeppelin, (I think) the Beatles etc.
Apparently my dad was off his head on ketamine and passed out during Jimi Hendrix at the Isle of Wight festival :D

For myself, I've had a few memorable concert moments, and some not-so-memorable ones.

My first ever concert was U2 at Wembley, doing the Zoo TV tour. I never much liked the song 'Love is Blindness' up until that point.
But they played it, and it was heart-wrenchingly melancholic and beautiful, and when the bass kicked in I felt it physically shiver through my chest.
And the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy's 'Television, the drug of the nation' leading into U2's 'Zoo Station' was really energetic and powerful :)

My first ever festival was the V Festival ('97?) in Leeds (UK).
One of my favourite songs by James at that point was the slow burner 'Out to get you'. I'd always wanted to see it live.
Me and a friend decided on the spur of the moment to go to the festival.
We then decided on the spur of the moment to check out a new bar that had opened in the city centre first :p
So we ended up bowling up to the gates at around 4pm, slightly merry. We figured we'd just buy tickets on the door, since we didn't have any of course :D
Someone offered me a weekend pass for some cheap amount of money. I lied and said I'd heard another guy selling one even cheaper, so I got a genuine weekend pass for something cheap like £30 or £50! Those were the days :D

We ambled up a hill and crested it just as James (who apparently had taken time out due to power issues or something) launched into 'Out to get you'

At that same festival, I saw the Stereophonics, who put on a great show and Fountains of Wayne, who were the surprise package for me. I didn't know a single song by them (this was pre-Stacy's Mom) but they were melodic, fun and sounded fantastic. Really great songwriters! For those that doubt, here is a song amply displaying their songwriting and musical chops:

I saw Alanis Morrisette and Counting Crows too, but I think that was at a different festival lol.
Lovely acoustic Counting Crows number for your attention:

Finally, in terms of golden oldies, I saw Simon and Garfunkel a few years back I think in London.
One of my all-time favourite albums is Simon and Garfunkel 'The Concert in Central Park' from back in '81 I think?
Have loved that CD forever and now have the HDTracks 24/192 version :D
So this concert some 20 or 30 years later wasn't as good as that, but was still good.

Except for a kind of upper-middle class lady of a certain age who insisted on singing along very loudly and lamentably badly.
When challenged regarding this by her fellow concert goers, I recall her replying (in a very plummy accent):
"I want to sing! Why shouldn't I sing? I'm going to sing!" followed by her positively mauling "like a briiiiiiiiiiddddggggeee overrr troubled waaaterrrrr" :D
Here's a song from that concert that I feel is about as close to perfection as a song can get! Blissful harmonising :)

I saw a double bill with Van Morrison and Bob Dylan. It was surprisingly underwhelming though, because the venue was a concrete monstrosity (in Manchester I think) and despite being familiar with a Van Morrison best of compilation album, he didn't play a single song from it the whole evening :p
I know more of his stuff now though lol. Live and learn :wink:
Hope you enjoy the music as much as I did/still do :D

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #4,009 of 36,104
Finally caught up with over 20 pages of reading. Am back from a holiday (Malaysia), enjoying some Animals as Leaders with my HD600's. Missed them a ton!

Oct 4, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #4,010 of 36,104
Meanwhile in KL, just got my front row VVIP tickets today for this:
(As an expat in Malaysia one of the things that I miss is being able to see bands regularly, so when anyone visits it's always *Big* and this is a rare opportunity to see one of the world's very best guitarists IMHO... take it away Paul.. and I've got a seat right in front of him - I am so looking forward to this :) :) :))

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #4,011 of 36,104
Meanwhile in KL, just got my front row VVIP tickets today for this:
(As an expat in Malaysia one of the things that I miss is being able to see bands regularly, so when anyone visits it's always *Big* and this is a rare opportunity to see one of the world's very best guitarists IMHO... take it away Paul.. and I've got a seat right in front of him - I am so looking forward to this :) :) :))

I didn't know concerts were big in Malaysia. Cool. :call_me:

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #4,013 of 36,104
Oct 4, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #4,014 of 36,104
Oct 5, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #4,018 of 36,104
also anyone also listen to the traveling Wilburys, Really good Vol 1 and Vol 3
I have both those albums they're wonderful. However with the recent death of Tom Petty we only have two Wilburys left now.

So with more phones coming out now without a headphone socket (New Pixls the latest to have this) and if this trend is to continue, what are people's thoughts on using lighting or usb-c to 3.5mm adapters? Or are more people going to look at external DACs?

My current preferance is to avoid phones without 3.5mm sockets, but this may get harder as time goes on. Currently using a iPhone 6s Plus, if I replace this year it'll probably be with the new LG V30.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 6:18 AM Post #4,019 of 36,104
I have both those albums they're wonderful. However with the recent death of Tom Petty we only have two Wilburys left now.

So with more phones coming out now without a headphone socket (New Pixls the latest to have this) and if this trend is to continue, what are people's thoughts on using lighting or usb-c to 3.5mm adapters? Or are more people going to look at external DACs?

My current preferance is to avoid phones without 3.5mm sockets, but this may get harder as time goes on. Currently using a iPhone 6s Plus, if I replace this year it'll probably be with the new LG V30.
Hate that phones have this much of a hold over our hobby. Sound quality is low on the priority list for most of the manufacturers. Guessing more phones will remove the standard earphone connection.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #4,020 of 36,104
No magic flower pot at moment, so no M3S for me. :wink:

Good morning. :)

Enjoy and have a nice day.

Another beautiful voice taken far too soon:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back