The Audio Lounge
Sep 8, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #20,431 of 36,016
@Richsvt The X5 powered the 400i? That's cool. The X5 is such a awesome OG DAP.

I had to push it near the limit but it wasn't clipping or distorting. I have a small portable amp but it wasn't charged. Sounded great.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:27 AM Post #20,432 of 36,016
I remember buying a pair of limited edition gunmetal Hyperions which looked gorgeous and I recall thinking that they sounded really good; astonishingly good for their size and price; hugely enjoyable, dynamic, v-shaped, powerful and terrific fun.
At that time, I think I already had owned IEM's costing £140+.

Someone borrowed and lost them, so about a year or so later I emailed TA and asked if they had any they could sell me another pair during the early-mid stages of the TA meltdown (I think they were not listed on the website at that time, but the rep said they had one or two and could sell to me).
I hadn't heard them in ages, but remembered being shocked at how cheap and crappy they sounded. Ended up chucking them out I think.

So I wondered whether my tastes had just matured with exposure to higher-end IEM's (I think I owned the flagship Noble Audio Katana by then)?
But then, I still love my $89 iBasso IT01. Knowing what I know now, I suspect I was sold a unit that was defective, or built with an inferior quality driver inside?
Not sure, but your praise of the Hyperion gives further weight to my suspicions!

If anyone has a good Hyperion they'd be willing to give/sell/trade me, please PM me; dying to get another pair. Even more so if they're the gunmetal model - I love that colour :)
A pair of Hyperions were the first TAE product I got, mine are in gun metal and I think at the time they cost me just £20, best £20 audio purchase I've ever made, use these when I go camping and don't want to take a more expensive set.

Sep 9, 2019 at 5:30 AM Post #20,433 of 36,016
Morning people, a quick query on something that bugs me.

Tracks with silence in them, this comes from the time when artists wanted a "hidden" track at the end of the album. What do you guys do with these tracks now? Leave them as is, cut them into two seperate files, or leave as one file with the gap chopped out? About to start fiddling round with Audacity to chop the silence out on all mine, just wondered what everyone else did with theirs?

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:15 AM Post #20,434 of 36,016

Tracks with silence in them, this comes from the time when artists wanted a "hidden" track at the end of the album. What do you guys do with these tracks now? Leave them as is, cut them into two seperate files, or leave as one file with the gap chopped out? About to start fiddling round with Audacity to chop the silence out on all mine, just wondered what everyone else did with theirs?

I leave them there for a pleasant surprise when I forget there's a hidden track.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #20,435 of 36,016
About to start fiddling round with Audacity to chop the silence out on all mine, just wondered what everyone else did with theirs?

I personally would rather leave it as it was.

Sep 9, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #20,436 of 36,016

I leave those tracks on albums, but remove them from compilation playlists, that I tend to listen to on the go :)

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #20,437 of 36,016
200.gif
200.gif
upload_2019-9-9_7-59-41.jpeg
10350255.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-9_7-58-3.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-9_7-58-3.jpeg
    4.3 KB · Views: 0
Sep 9, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #20,438 of 36,016
Oh oh, I just thought of a good song for the WOW:

One more (that I personally think is much better and is one of my all-time favourites) from the same album:

Sep 9, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #20,439 of 36,016

Discussion of a simple SoX command line, that can remove user defined blocks of silence (see Examples 6, 7, & 8) - https://digitalcardboard.com/blog/2009/08/25/the-sox-of-silence/

From - http://sox.sourceforge.net/Main/HomePage - "SoX is a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS X, etc.) command line utility that can convert various formats of computer audio files in to other formats. It can also apply various effects to these sound files, and, as an added bonus, SoX can play and record audio files on most platforms."

Sep 9, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #20,440 of 36,016
@jerick70 love Fleetwood Mac but watching the Skynyrd show, wow, what a different times the 70s were...
These were all on the Radio while I was driving home Saturday. Pretty killer selection. The Fleetwood Mac song was awesome! Yeah the 70s were a different time. And IMO not a good different.... LOL!!!!! What is up with fashion back then? I was just little then so don't remember much, but from pics my Mom has I dressed like that too..... :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

Sep 9, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #20,441 of 36,016
Discussion of a simple SoX command line, that can remove user defined blocks of silence (see Examples 6, 7, & 8) - https://digitalcardboard.com/blog/2009/08/25/the-sox-of-silence/

From - http://sox.sourceforge.net/Main/HomePage - "SoX is a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS X, etc.) command line utility that can convert various formats of computer audio files in to other formats. It can also apply various effects to these sound files, and, as an added bonus, SoX can play and record audio files on most platforms."
Very interesting. I'm a Linux geek from my early days in the IT field so the command line peaks my interest. How well does it work?

I've gotten to the point though that I've gone to the KISS principle in my IT endeavors and like to do things with a GUI. I've been this way for a while because training a none command line IT tech is a real pain and just makes the training cycle cost to much. Plus you always have to have that expertise on your team. If you use the KISS principle your IT team costs much less and is much more agile in your goals.

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:04 PM Post #20,442 of 36,016

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #20,443 of 36,016
Very interesting. I'm a Linux geek from my early days in the IT field so the command line peaks my interest. How well does it work?

I've gotten to the point though that I've gone to the KISS principle in my IT endeavors and like to do things with a GUI. I've been this way for a while because training a none command line IT tech is a real pain and just makes the training cycle cost to much. Plus you always have to have that expertise on your team. If you use the KISS principle your IT team costs much less and is much more agile in your goals.

Since both SoX and Audicity are "free" software, I guess it comes down to whether learning a new tool with a GUI (Audacity) is worth the time, if all you really need is to type in a single SoX command line to remove silent blocks from tracks.
If you intend to do other audio manipulations, then Audacity (with its GUI) may be what you need, to visualize the desired outcome.

Sep 9, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #20,445 of 36,016
Since both SoX and Audicity are "free" software, I guess it comes down to whether learning a new tool with a GUI (Audacity) is worth the time, if all you really need is to type in a single SoX command line to remove silent blocks from tracks.
If you intend to do other audio manipulations, then Audacity (with its GUI) may be what you need, to visualize the desired outcome.
I use this piece of software to do my conversions. Inexpensive and works really well.

https://www.xivero.com/xisrc/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back