The Audio Lounge
Jun 21, 2019 at 6:46 AM Post #17,896 of 36,220
Enjoying it so far. Bit too early to tell just yet - it feels a little sharper and more "digital" than my Cayin N5iiS, but I'm getting used to the sound. Did you notice any change when running the unit in?
I felt very similar about the M11, a bit brightish and more towards articulate than natural. As for change, I honestly couldn't say. I gave it a quick listen when it arrived to see if everything was working and then left it to play with the FH7 for a few days before I started using it. Seemed to stay pretty similar. It was certainly not the case that the brightness smoothed out completely. Balanced does seem a little smoother overal though.
Enjoying the music should always come first (iBasso got that right at least :) ) If there isn't enough time to do that then what is the point of all this.

Good to see you back (I didn't even know you'd left though.)
Absolutely, it is all about the music and nothing is quite like relaxing and getting lost in the soundscape without anything distracting from that. :)
That is a perfect description, the Swiss Army knife of portable DAC/Amps. Definitely give one a listen if the opportunity arises. Also, welcome to The Lounge, kick your feet up and enjoy your stay!
Thanks!

Jun 21, 2019 at 6:48 AM Post #17,897 of 36,220
Definitely, maybe going, The same as me then. I've never been to anything like a Canjam but I'm seriously considering this one.

If I do I will probably bring the N6ii, got to have something to listen to on the train you know, and you are welcome to have a listen/compare the R6 Pro to my N6ii.
Bit of a treck for me so I will just be doing Saturday or Sunday but more than likely the Saturday, gonna meet @KEV G as he has money burning a hole in his pocket lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:...i will be window shopping as my money as already burnt a hole and fallen through. will meet early as he wants to check out the Hiby and then move on to canjam. il give you a shout a week before to confirm that I'm going .

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #17,898 of 36,220
felt very similar about the M11, a bit brightish
it definitely leans to the more brightish side and more digital, I still liked it in many ways even though I sent it back though, and there were things I realy liked about its sig, nice dynamics and good level of detail retrieval I felt... Still think it's killer for the price and I still preffered it to DX200 with amp1 not with amp8 though.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:26 AM Post #17,899 of 36,220
it definitely leans to the more brightish side and more digital, I still liked it in many ways even though I sent it back though, and there were things I realy liked about its sig, nice dynamics and good level of detail retrieval I felt... Still think it's killer for the price and I still preffered it to DX200 with amp1 not with amp8 though.
It is a really good DAP, although I did not have a lot to compare it with. The closest was my old AK70, which I prefer, but that might have more to do with tuning because the AK70 is a little warmer. For the price the M11 offers an awful lot, even though the lack of Google Play store support is a little disappointing.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:48 AM Post #17,900 of 36,220
It is a really good DAP, although I did not have a lot to compare it with. The closest was my old AK70, which I prefer, but that might have more to do with tuning because the AK70 is a little warmer. For the price the M11 offers an awful lot, even though the lack of Google Play store support is a little disappointing.

That's one of the thing's I like about the N6ii, Play store is just there. Also DTA gets around all the re-sampling issues Android devices usually have, so I can download the Qobuz app and get bit-perfect sound with zero hassle. Its the first Android audio device I havn't had to install UAPP on as the first thing I did.

Jun 21, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #17,901 of 36,220
That's one of the thing's I like about the N6ii, Play store is just there. Also DTA gets around all the re-sampling issues Android devices usually have, so I can download the Qobuz app and get bit-perfect sound with zero hassle. Its the first Android audio device I havn't had to install UAPP on as the first thing I did.

I'm an old fashioned play from card type of guy but the Hiby is similar I think? Don't have to boot up in mango or fiio music although m11 doesnt need to boot separately either.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #17,902 of 36,220
Hey Majo, glad to hear that you are really liking the R6 Pro!

I wonder if there is much difference between the £500 R6 and the £800 R6 Pro? I reckon that the DAP makers are getting a bit too greedy with their prices!

I have started to use bluetooth a lot, so how does your R6 Pro sound?

Hey Jerick, how is your N6ii sounding over bluetooth as I remember when you first got it, you said that you heard some electrical noise?

Yes I did. I'm not sure where the noise was coming from. I haven't used Bluetooth for a while I'll test again today.

Jun 21, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #17,903 of 36,220
I'm an old fashioned play from card type of guy but the Hiby is similar I think? Don't have to boot up in mango or fiio music although m11 doesnt need to boot separately either.

It seems all the top suppliers have got up to speed with this now then, that's good news, cos this bit-perfect thing is a hassle that nobody needed, IMHO this should just work and give the best sound without a programming masters degree :) .

I have a fair bit of music on uSD cards too, but as a way to try new stuff I think streaming is a great tool.

I have played with the Hiby "MSEB" feature too and although I'm not really an EQ'uer but I do agree its a great tool to tune the sound easily to the listener's requirement.

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #17,904 of 36,220
Bit of a treck for me so I will just be doing Saturday or Sunday but more than likely the Saturday, gonna meet @KEV G as he has money burning a hole in his pocket lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:...i will be window shopping as my money as already burnt a hole and fallen through. will meet early as he wants to check out the Hiby and then move on to canjam. il give you a shout a week before to confirm that I'm going and give you a shout.

I'll be going to London CanJam too, on Saturday (and possibly Sunday too). Would be awesome to see you guys there :)

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:10 AM Post #17,905 of 36,220
I have some choices to make. Really got in to the older DAP stuff. I am regretting that I sold my Fiio X3ii. It was set-up with a great FW version that was so comfortable to use...now I see I can get one for decent money but saw the X3iii a while back also for similar money (and that has a balanced output). Hmmm. I have both before -the X3ii twice, so why I am re-looking?

I also am looking at the Little Bear B4X as well. And a couple of IEMs (Oxygen, Stealth Sonics U2, TFZ Series 7) and a few others. I can't reasonably justify all these purchases and may need to go through another purge. But this time it will be getting rid of some beloved gear (IT03, CA Lyra v1, Cypher Labs C6, X5iii). I have the day out of work while I get the car worked on (another decent chunk of change) and have some time with a friend over some great local beers later to mull things over.

Ok, just re-read that and seems like serious 1st world problems. I guess my problems don't amount to too much...just choices on cool stuff (except the car). What's a soul to do?

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #17,906 of 36,220
Holy... Ok, I just popped in the Nicehck F3's after a while of not using them. I tried with both the Bluewave Get and the Auris Amplify. Using yellow foam tips. Still having issues finding the perfect fit/seal, but we're getting somewhere. These things are unforgiving for bad recordings. But with a proper seal, I just found a deep rumbling that doesn't overpower the rest. Still a little bright in some tracks, but it's tolerable now. Heat's gone. They're actually quite enjoyable with proper amplification! Sounds much nicer on the Amplify than on the Get though. I have a feeling that close to reference amp + Close to reference IEM just doesn't mesh for my sound sig tastes.

Hmm. This makes me wonder if I want to sell these now.. Haha

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #17,907 of 36,220
I find that a lot of stuff out there really amplifies bad recordings. I have my share. I guess the question is why do we have these files at all? I know that some I have I cannot find elsewhere or I'm just too lazy to get a better copy. I don't do the streaming thing so I am limited to music I have locally (and whatever CDs I purchase).

Just reading what Karendar just said and wondering how many of us have these borderline quality files. For me, at this stage, I feel it is better to have that poorer quality file and at least get to listen to that song than not at all...

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #17,908 of 36,220
I find that a lot of stuff out there really amplifies bad recordings. I have my share. I guess the question is why do we have these files at all? I know that some I have I cannot find elsewhere or I'm just too lazy to get a better copy. I don't do the streaming thing so I am limited to music I have locally (and whatever CDs I purchase).

Just reading what Karendar just said and wondering how many of us have these borderline quality files. For me, at this stage, I feel it is better to have that poorer quality file and at least get to listen that song than not at all...

My music style sort of translates to many bad recordings... Lots of them are legacy/retro tracks, classics, or done in a very low budget studio. Most of my recent music is always at least 320kbps MP3 if not lossless, but all my oldschool folder is recorded in 192kbps to 256 kbps, sometimes lower... These tracks aren't as enjoyable with something like the F3, which is why I think I always go back to the DM6. It's more forgiving...

I wouldn't say it's laziness of not getting better quality tracks though, it's simply that these do not exist... Anywhere.

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #17,909 of 36,220
My music style sort of translates to many bad recordings... Lots of them are legacy/retro tracks, classics, or done in a very low budget studio. Most of my recent music is always at least 320kbps MP3 if not lossless, but all my oldschool folder is recorded in 192kbps to 256 kbps, sometimes lower... These tracks aren't as enjoyable with something like the F3, which is why I think I always go back to the DM6. It's more forgiving...

I wouldn't say it's laziness of not getting better quality tracks though, it's simply that these do not exist... Anywhere.

Sucks you can't find the music in better quality, but at least you've found some IEMs that forgive the lower quality. Sounds like the F3 are better than you'd originally thought, but still aren't for you, time to purge! Lol.

Jun 21, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #17,910 of 36,220
Sucks you can't find the music in better quality, but at least you've found some IEMs that forgive the lower quality. Sounds like the F3 are better than you'd originally thought, but still aren't for you, time to purge! Lol.

I'll probably purge after the R2's come in. :wink: I've been keeping my IEM count low. I have the F3's, the DM6's and incoming R2's... That's pretty damned low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back