The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 16, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #7,081 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiddle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My initial reaction was sheer disappointment. Soundstage was extremely narrow, volume was tiny although I had it turned all the way past 12 o'clock.

Haha, I can imagine the dissapointment when you heard it mono
normal_smile .gif

May 16, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #7,082 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nidhogg22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. I installed the foobar ASIO component and ASIO4All, then in Foobars Preferences option went to Output - ASIO Virtual Devices and added a new device, this being ASIO4All (this was what I didn't work out). Then in Output select ASIO:ASIO4All as the Output device and you're ready to go.

So simple, yet so complete. Thanks. I ordered a Compass on 5/5, and figure I'll get everything set up in the meantime.

May 16, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #7,083 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denaturat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, I can imagine the dissapointment when you heard it mono
normal_smile .gif

Yeah...initially I was glad I still have my icon mobile. It was hilarious.

May 16, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #7,084 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could somebody compare the sound quality of
1. Compass
2. C2C
3. Heed CanAmp
I am at a loss what to buy. I am only interested in the headphone amplifier part of the Compass. My cans are AKG K701.
TIA

There was response to the above questions. Thanks for that.
How much difference will there be between the Compass with the extra good quality power cable (USD75) and the ordinary C2C.
If the difference in sound quality will be neglible I could buy the Compass and thus have the possibility of using the DAC sometime in the future.
At the moment I am using Marantz SA7001 as sound source and not my pc.

May 16, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #7,085 of 7,725
After reading this thread for 2 months, i finally got my compass today from my uncle. (Kingwa and I were in the same town in china, but now i am going to school in Boston. as a student, i was too cheap to pay the $50 dollars shipping. so i waited till Kingwa started selling compass in china in May. then i asked my uncle to get it and bring it to me when he comes to my cousin's commencement.). i am very happy to see a chinese product being this popular and welcomed in Head-fi (including Zero, i just cannot get it when i last got back to china, then i googled for an alternative and got into this thread). compass is kinda affordable to me and has good quality. I am a very beginner, i cannot give any valuable comments on compass. but i would like to thank all Head-fi members to come up this idea and support Kingwa. also, i want to thank kingwa to make compass into a real product. i finally have an entry level DAC&amp.

i just have a quick question. now i have an er-4s, is a headphone upgrade necessary? just for future, maybe next yr.

May 16, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #7,087 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kingwa is your uncle?

He said his uncle lives in the same town AS Kingwa...not that Kingwa is HIS uncle....

Are you ever going to disclose what gear you are using or are you going to continue to evade AND ignore legitimate questions and requests ?

Peete.

May 16, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #7,088 of 7,725
Well regarding the photos, it is too much effort and I think its better if I explain how everything is connected. All the pictures will show is the compass connected by optical cable to the cd player and dac to the amp.

But the problem is not only the hum anymore. Its the fact that I am not satisfied with the sound I'm getting. I have connected the previous cd player via the compass and that brings back the sound I enjoyed before the compass, however the compass is much more accurate even though the soundstage isnt very wide or deep and the bass isnt as extended.

May 16, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #7,089 of 7,725
Is it too much effort to read the page 1 FAQ ?

Something to which would have answered what you are complaining about now ? What might that be pete~ ?

Peete.

May 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #7,090 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroibis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you mind posting a quick step guide so others can be directed to that to avoid others such as yourself having problems?

There's a link in the FAQ to one.

Quote:

Also how does the line in work?

I plugged in a cd player into line in but i cannot hear any sound despite turning the knob on all settings. 'Line in' is the setting which is rotated all the way counterclockwise right?

pete~: You are the most unbelievably frustrating person I've ever come across on a forum. Despite your numerous PMs to numerous people, all of whom have pointed you to the FAQ I laboriously wrote to answer the most common questions, you seem to have neither not read it, or not READ it. Not only that, you don't read what people write IN this thread, and, to top it off, you don't provide the information we need to help you.

Quote:

But I AM using it with speakers and a power amp, thats the thing.

Woud the bass weight increase with burn in though?

do you think its better to return it or sell it?

How are you using it? Are you using it as a pre-amp? Are you using it as a headphone amp? WHAT ACTUAL GEAR ARE YOU USING IT WITH? WHAT AMP? WHAT HEADPHONES? WHAT CD PLAYER? Until you tell us something useful, we can't answer your questions.

Quote:

Kingwa is your uncle?

This question just goes to show that YOU DON'T READ.

Quote:

it is too much effort

It is too much effort helping someone who wont help themselves.

Until you provide enough information on your system, and as well show that you've read and absorbed the information in the FAQ I wrote, I don't think anyone should respond to any of your posts or PMs.

May 17, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #7,091 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've been wondering, why is it that there seems to be so little love for the Sun HDAM? It seems that all the people purchasing new Compasses are getting only the Moon and Earth, not the Sun, I am quite enjoying the Sun right now, although I haven't yet popped in the Moon. I plan on making a more full review later, but for now I'll just say that the Beyerdynamic DT990 whose biggest fault is usually believed to be it's problems with sibilance is having no such issues with the Sun on bright, although there is a bit of harshness, but that goes away with some jumpers. From my time with the Sun so far I have found it to be a great sounding HDAM, so I'm just not sure why people seem to be avoiding purchasing it!

I have love for all the modules, they are all good in their own way. I guess the primary factor(s) in the popularity of each one are the listeners tastes and ears, and characteristics of their headphones.

I used the Sun for ages, but when I moved over to my electrostatics, the top-end was somewhat overwhelming.

Horses for courses. It doesn't really get a fair hearing on here, because so many people rate the Moon and Earth more highly. But that doesn't mean it can't be the best solution for you and your gear.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

May 17, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #7,092 of 7,725
I've been listening to my newly arrived Lambdas on my Compass for today and yesterday. I don't want to make any judgments due to New Toy Syndrome, but right now I'm really liking their sound: highly detailed yet musical with excellent tonal balance and good high and low extension. If it's just detail, the Stax put every other headphone I've hear to shame.

May 17, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #7,093 of 7,725
Quote:

But the problem is not only the hum anymore. Its the fact that I am not satisfied with the sound I'm getting. I have connected the previous cd player via the compass and that brings back the sound I enjoyed before the compass, however the compass is much more accurate even though the soundstage isnt very wide or deep and the bass isnt as extended.

It sounds like the Compass is not your "cup o tea". I suggest you simply sell it and move on.

May 17, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #7,095 of 7,725
The DAC portion is doing a great job connected to my B&W speakers. This weekend finished loading about 700 CD's (so far) into my 1 terabyte hard drive connected to my music server (old iBook G4). I have to use the USB drive because the old iBooks did not have optical output but I have to say I don't hear any extraneous sounds and the music coming out of the speakers is pure and clear. My wife and kids are gone for a couple of hours right now, and that means I can crank up the volume all the way up. Mozart has never sounded better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back