The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 18, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #7,111 of 7,725
darkhalo that's what I'm waiting for...
I know the Zero was modded or "frankend" and I would truly love to see what can be done to this unit to increase or change benefit it for those who wouldn't upgrade anything else.

When I get mine I won't buy anything above it just maybe a decent Tube Amp. However I would like to get maybe a different DAC board in it thats upgraded. I asked Kingwa about this and his words were that it is maturate? (confusing word) and that it isn't necessary. But I truly would like to know if the highest end Wolfson would make it truly remarkable, I mean the Little Dot Dac has that chip. So we will see what happens.

I hope this thread does not die but infact add's the tweaks and mods in here to make this thing a true beast and jack of all trades for Students and others unwilling or unfunded of going upwards of the $1000+ area for awhile.

:p

May 18, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #7,112 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by idunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good to hear from another The National fan... is it just me, or is Boxer a tremendous album for headphones? I'm seeing them when they're in town on Saturday--can't wait!

Sorry for going OT
normal_smile .gif

Boxer is a great amount for headphones with tight, punchy bass and well defined lower mid-range like the Sextetts. Have fun seeing them live.
beerchug.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me know how it works with them, once you have the courage to listen to 'em.
smily_headphones1.gif
A significant part of my collection consists of transferred 78s and I'm looking into Stax as a future investment.
(I must say that up till now, through all the upgrades, I still haven't come across something that made historic recordings unlistenable.)

Well, historic recordings are special for their own reasons that probably no lack of sound quality can take away. So, I doubt it'll make them unlistenable, but it'll probably make me want to look more and more into modern recordings. Those Harmonia Mundi recordings are great -if only they weren't so expensive.

I'd be interested in some Compass mods as well. I want to see how far she can go.

May 18, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #7,113 of 7,725
Once you've gotten into Stax, there's no escape. There were vintage combos going here for auction for only $350 or so that would completely demolish a dynamic set up costing 2-3X that amount.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone thinking to mod their Compass? Cap upgrades, ect to squeeze the last bit of air out of it?

I'm sure Pricklely Peete will have a go at modding his at some stage. The DAC200 is almost a franken Compass DAC.

May 18, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #7,114 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sure Pricklely Peete will have a go at modding his at some stage. The DAC200 is almost a franken Compass DAC.

Sounds great. Peete! Keeping an eye on you!
icon10.gif
(and no, I'm not Andrea)
tongue.gif

May 18, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #7,115 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know the Zero was modded or "frankend" and I would truly love to see what can be done to this unit to increase or change benefit it for those who wouldn't upgrade anything else.

When I get mine I won't buy anything above it just maybe a decent Tube Amp. However I would like to get maybe a different DAC board in it thats upgraded. I asked Kingwa about this and his words were that it is maturate? (confusing word) and that it isn't necessary. But I truly would like to know if the highest end Wolfson would make it truly remarkable, I mean the Little Dot Dac has that chip. So we will see what happens.

I hope this thread does not die but infact add's the tweaks and mods in here to make this thing a true beast and jack of all trades for Students and others unwilling or unfunded of going upwards of the $1000+ area for awhile.

I'm not too interested in changing the DAC. I think it's fine enough already. Just thinking to refine/change the sound sig. I know Kingwa is using large film caps in some of his other dacs. I'm guessing those little brown polyprops in the output stage could go for some Auricaps, Teflon or something.

May 18, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #7,117 of 7,725
Id love to know a TRUE answer to this. Zanth told me it's not necessary and wouldn't recommend me getting it at the price of me being broke and since I dont live in an old house. But truly will I be sad without it. I mean the difference is $380 for Compass with all 3 HDAMS or $455 and risk needing the money for the cable and losing out on the price before June 1st. Right now to get it I will have to skip some bills and be ****ed later but I want this bad! LOL

May 18, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #7,118 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, historic recordings are special for their own reasons that probably no lack of sound quality can take away. So, I doubt it'll make them unlistenable, but it'll probably make me want to look more and more into modern recordings. Those Harmonia Mundi recordings are great -if only they weren't so expensive.

No, I wouldn't want to miss Cortot for anything in the world. (Compliments on your taste.
wink.gif
)
Careful with Harmonia Mundi. I don't know how they are organised these days, but in the past it was mainly the French division that produced consistenly great recordings (and the USA division that was prone to major c0ck-ups).
For another label that attaches a lot of importance to recording quality, check out MDG. Particularly their chamber music and organ recordings. (Okay, not cheap either.)
Thankfully, Naxos is still improving the technical standards of their recordings too.

May 18, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #7,119 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm thinking about some tweaks for it as we speak.......Compass MAXX if you will.....I hope Kingwa doesn't mind. I like tinkering with stuff just to see where that takes things.
Don't get caught up in the DAC chip chosen equaling all there is to a DAC device way of thinking. A dac chip is just one small part of a entire circuit of which the power supplies, the analog output section are more critical to the overall success of a design than just the selection of DAC chip. The AD1852 is a great dac chip, right up there with the PCM1704UK and TDA1541S1.

Peete.

May 18, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #7,120 of 7,725
Just made my payment for a Compass :p

Hope that all goes smoothly!

Thanks to rx7mark for inviting me to his home to audition the amp for myself! This was a great help in this purchasing decision, made it a total no brainer!

May 18, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #7,121 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about some tweaks for it as we speak.......Compass MAXX if you will.....I hope Kingwa doesn't mind. I like tinkering with stuff just to see where that takes things.
Don't get caught up in the DAC chip chosen equaling all there is to a DAC device way of thinking. A dac chip is just one small part of a entire circuit of which the power supplies, the analog output section are more critical to the overall success of a design than just the selection of DAC chip. The AD1852 is a great dac chip, right up there with the PCM1704UK and TDA1541S1.

Peete.

Excellent Peete. I'll be following your posts. I don't have a lot of experience but will try to help out where I can.

I don't think Kingwa would mind. I think it would only increase interest in his DAC. And I totally agree about the DAC chip.

I'm also thinking about subbing the polyesters in the HDAM with something faster.

May 18, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #7,123 of 7,725
You have to decide the following things before ordering:
* 110V or 220V version (see this list according to your country) and which power-plug
* Which HDAM should be default
* Which extras do you want (extra HDAMs, power cord, etc..)

Put all your wishes into a list and send it to Kingwa/Cherry and they will give you the exact price incl. shipping to your country to pay via paypal. After you did the paypal transfer drop them a short mail and the shipping will start approx. 2 weeks later.

P.S.: Probably Currawong could include a "How do i order"-section into the FAQ?

May 18, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #7,125 of 7,725
The Earth is included by default. The Sun and Moon are optional extras.

Quote:

Originally Posted by op2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably Currawong could include a "How do i order"-section into the FAQ?

I was thinking to suggest to Kingwa that he organise his web site a bit better actually. I think though that people aren't used to the idea of emailing an order request first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back