The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 17, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #7,096 of 7,725
Because I got all 3 I hope to do a nice shoot out between them all on every jumper setting with my DT-990 after burn in. I hope that my results will aid fellow DT-990 owners and others who wish for more comments on the differences. Also I am going to need to brush up on my vocabulary so that I can explain everything in the words you all use as I am not accustom to writing audio reviews. Therefore, anything I have to say should be cum grano salis, however; I am still going to do the shootout for those that want the into. Also, you got to start somewhere!

May 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #7,098 of 7,725
OMG FINALLY. I just finished reading the whole thread. Took me a week!

Havent rebooted or anything because of leaving firefox open. Anyway, I was on the button to order the Compass and the HF-2 was discovered. *******IT! Anyway, I ordered those and will order my compass in about a week. I just have to find the $$$. I have about $100 to my name and a cable bill due but it's not cut off yet so I'll let it ride. Regardless, I am going to sell some textbooks and hit up the Bank of Mom.

So, I will be using the Sennheiser HD595, Grado HF-1 & HF-2, Audio Technica ESW10Jpn and some 1/8 to 1/4 adapter (would love a recommendation) with this Compass. Soon I will order some Ultrasones and maybe HD650 or more likely Beyer DT880 or DT990 need to read reviews and visit Moon Audio after I get my birthday $$$.

So I was thinking to just get the Compass with Earth for $320. As it seems those with all 3 HDAM's end up using the Earth. I would love all 3 and the upgraded power cable. But that jumps the price to almost $500 before the end of month markup.

I have no DAC/AMP to compare just my computer soundcard and my reciever. So how much will this blow me away if nothing else has been heard and I really want the Power Cable but just can't afford it unless I beg and lapse on bills since I have been laidoff.

Gosh, just a month ago I had $3k but didn't think about the Compass didn't even know of it and thought buying puppy stuff and video games was the way to go for now. Kicking myself so hard!

Any help on giving me motivation for the power cable and all HDAMs will really help, thanks! Plus, I know I would get the power cord and HDAM's eventually just wanted to get the unit ASAP but the shipping for those later would be another $60 so WOWZAH!

PS: This thread lead me to a few new cd's and I truly am thankful for that!
Would love some Progressive Rock like you guys mentioned but without alot of singing. Or someone with a truly amazing voice? Any ideas?

May 17, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #7,099 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As it seems those with all 3 HDAM's end up using the Earth.

I prefer the Moon.

Quote:

So how much will this blow me away if nothing else has been heard

No one knows until you listen to the Compass with your setup.

Quote:

Any help on giving me motivation for *snip* all HDAMs will really help, thanks!

Well, if there is something you'd like to change in the Compass' soundsignature after you get it (more than just the jumper-settings), you could be kicking yourself a few more times for not spending the extra for the HDAM's.
tongue.gif

Obviously you don't necessarily get an improvement in sound, for your ears, with your setup, but you do get 3 soundsignatures + the jumpers to choose from. If you don't get the HDAM's, then there's the what if. That's the reason why I thought it was worth it to get all three. I'm glad I did.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy your Compass.

May 18, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #7,100 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by yepyep_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the Moon.

No one knows until you listen to the Compass with your setup.

Well, if there is something you'd like to change in the Compass' soundsignature after you get it (more than just the jumper-settings), you could be kicking yourself a few more times for not spending the extra for the HDAM's.
tongue.gif

Obviously you don't necessarily get an improvement in sound, for your ears, with your setup, but you do get 3 soundsignatures + the jumpers to choose from. If you don't get the HDAM's, then there's the what if. That's the reason why I thought it was worth it to get all three. I'm glad I did.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy your Compass.

Agreed...I'm kicking myself because I didn't order the Sun with my Compass. Now, instead of paying an extra $20 (the deal at the time), I'm looking at close to $50.

May 18, 2009 at 1:18 AM Post #7,101 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed...I'm kicking myself because I didn't order the Sun with my Compass. Now, instead of paying an extra $20 (the deal at the time), I'm looking at close to $50.

And will the HDAMs go up in price with the Compass, or has that already happened? Anyway, I'm really happy I picked up all three, it means I get to have the sound that works best with my setup no matter what headphones I have on.

May 18, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #7,103 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And will the HDAMs go up in price with the Compass, or has that already happened? Anyway, I'm really happy I picked up all three, it means I get to have the sound that works best with my setup no matter what headphones I have on.

Good point. I need to get that ordered. Just need to come up with an excuse for the wife.
tongue_smile.gif

May 18, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #7,104 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah, I"m starting to regret not getting the Sun and the power cable due to a lack of money at that point. However, buying it now would cost me a lot more than buying it with the Compass due to shipping.

May 18, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #7,105 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by doping panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been listening to my newly arrived Lambdas on my Compass for today and yesterday. I don't want to make any judgments due to New Toy Syndrome, but right now I'm really liking their sound: highly detailed yet musical with excellent tonal balance and good high and low extension. If it's just detail, the Stax put every other headphone I've hear to shame.

Bliss, isn't it? There is little finer in the world than sitting down, listening to music you've always enjoyed, but finding a whole new dimension of depth, detail, and musicality to it.

Sadly, it'll also throw up nasty problems in some of the music you're fond of. But it's worth it, it really is.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

May 18, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #7,106 of 7,725
There really is nothing like a ribbon transducer. It's the top of the mountain.

Peete.

May 18, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #7,107 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bliss, isn't it? There is little finer in the world than sitting down, listening to music you've always enjoyed, but finding a whole new dimension of depth, detail, and musicality to it.

Sadly, it'll also throw up nasty problems in some of the music you're fond of. But it's worth it, it really is.
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

It really is bliss. The nasties aren't so problematic right now, but I haven't listened to any of my historical recordings yet which might take the biggest hit. I can't imagine them being too kind to some of those old Alfred Cortot recordings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There really is nothing like a ribbon transducer. It's the top of the mountain.

Peete.

Ribbons are really tempting had I the room for them, but alas I do not. UCLA dorm rooms=no space. I'll be moving into an apartment in about a month, but I doubt I'll have the room for spekaers there as well. I can possible fit some mini-moniters in there if I talk my roommate into arranging the room so that we'll have space for them, but even that might not be a possibility. At the very least, I can keep upgrading my electronics until the day I'll have the room for some speakers.

May 18, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #7,108 of 7,725
Quote:

On my Sextetts, the opening drumline of "Mistaken for Strangers" by The National is now absolutely thunderous.

Good to hear from another The National fan... is it just me, or is Boxer a tremendous album for headphones? I'm seeing them when they're in town on Saturday--can't wait!

Sorry for going OT
normal_smile .gif

May 18, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #7,109 of 7,725
Quote:

It really is bliss. The nasties aren't so problematic right now, but I haven't listened to any of my historical recordings yet which might take the biggest hit. I can't imagine them being too kind to some of those old Alfred Cortot recordings.

Let me know how it works with them, once you have the courage to listen to 'em.
smily_headphones1.gif
A significant part of my collection consists of transferred 78s and I'm looking into Stax as a future investment.
(I must say that up till now, through all the upgrades, I still haven't come across something that made historic recordings unlistenable.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back