The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
May 16, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #7,066 of 7,725
So I've been wondering, why is it that there seems to be so little love for the Sun HDAM? It seems that all the people purchasing new Compasses are getting only the Moon and Earth, not the Sun, I am quite enjoying the Sun right now, although I haven't yet popped in the Moon. I plan on making a more full review later, but for now I'll just say that the Beyerdynamic DT990 whose biggest fault is usually believed to be it's problems with sibilance is having no such issues with the Sun on bright, although there is a bit of harshness, but that goes away with some jumpers. From my time with the Sun so far I have found it to be a great sounding HDAM, so I'm just not sure why people seem to be avoiding purchasing it!

May 16, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #7,067 of 7,725
as of this morning mine's reached Heathrow....

but on a point of actual information, dont think anyone's posted this yet, the final non-promo price has been released on the GD site...

$330 from 11th June

get them while there hot.

May 16, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #7,069 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could somebody compare the sound quality of
1. Compass
2. C2C
3. Heed CanAmp
I am at a loss what to buy. I am only interested in the headphone amplifier part of the Compass. My cans are AKG K701.
TIA

If you're only interested in an amp, get the C2C. I hope you have a very good source (DAC, CD player or whatever) however.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I've been wondering, why is it that there seems to be so little love for the Sun HDAM?

I like the Sun. I can't quite explain why. Sometimes the Earth seems too in-your-face and the Moon too mids-recessed.

May 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #7,070 of 7,725
i have a question though. Aside from the hum problems, I have been listening to the compass for a couple of days now and I am not satisifed with the sound. It has a narrow, shallow soundstage and te bass is not extended or weighty and the top end is abut harsh. Thats just my honest impression 'in my setup.'

I am not sure if there are compatibility issues with my amp, but I dont know what to do.

May 16, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #7,071 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by pete~ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a question though. Aside from the hum problems, I have been listening to the compass for a couple of days now and I am not satisifed with the sound. It has a narrow, shallow soundstage and te bass is not extended or weighty and the top end is abut harsh. Thats just my honest impression 'in my setup.'

I am not sure if there are compatibility issues with my amp, but I dont know what to do.

Give it 350 hours of use or burn-in and then decide. It has 100 hours from the factory, so you've only got 250 hours to go. If you're still not satisfied, sell it. However, you wont get the huge soundstage of speakers with headphones, for the most part.

May 16, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #7,072 of 7,725
Also how does the line in work?

I plugged in a cd player into line in but i cannot hear any sound despite turning the knob on all settings. 'Line in' is the setting which is rotated all the way counterclockwise right?

May 16, 2009 at 12:34 PM Post #7,073 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Give it 350 hours of use or burn-in and then decide. It has 100 hours from the factory, so you've only got 250 hours to go. If you're still not satisfied, sell it. However, you wont get the huge soundstage of speakers with headphones, for the most part.

But I AM using it with speakers and a power amp, thats the thing.

Woud the bass weight increase with burn in though?

do you think its better to return it or sell it?

May 16, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #7,074 of 7,725
Quote:

So I've been wondering, why is it that there seems to be so little love for the Sun HDAM? It seems that all the people purchasing new Compasses are getting only the Moon and Earth, not the Sun, I am quite enjoying the Sun right now, although I haven't yet popped in the Moon. I plan on making a more full review later, but for now I'll just say that the Beyerdynamic DT990 whose biggest fault is usually believed to be it's problems with sibilance is having no such issues with the Sun on bright, although there is a bit of harshness, but that goes away with some jumpers. From my time with the Sun so far I have found it to be a great sounding HDAM, so I'm just not sure why people seem to be avoiding purchasing it!

My sun opamp has much less hours than my other opamps, but I do slightly prefer it to the earth/moon when I take out my power conditioner and audio-gd power cable because it makes mids present, but with sun+conditioner+cable, things go so bright and bouncy I think I'm going ADHD. Sun would be great if you were a DJ at a party or something lol.

May 16, 2009 at 1:37 PM Post #7,075 of 7,725
Quote:

You must have missed my numerous posts on this - and my sig on all of my posts. I use it with bright, too -even with grados - so I guess I like a forward and bright sound. But I also like variety and do switch it up sometimes, and often 'tame' it with a tube amp.

May 16, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #7,076 of 7,725
Quote:

Also how does the line in work?

I plugged in a cd player into line in but i cannot hear any sound despite turning the knob on all settings. 'Line in' is the setting which is rotated all the way counterclockwise right?

No - line in works in super mode. That 'fourth' setting on the selector does nothing actually.

May 16, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #7,077 of 7,725
Quote:

But I AM using it with speakers and a power amp, thats the thing.

Woud the bass weight increase with burn in though?

do you think its better to return it or sell it?

Can you tell me your setup? what is the power amp you are using and what speakers, before the Compass came, were you using different Preamp?.. your assumption to Bass and sound stage not being up to your satisfaction, is it based on the previous setup you had before Compass? and does it suffer the same results when you are using headphones while using Compass??..

Finally if you feel Compass isn't suiting you, selling it would be a better option as you would get money upfront.

May 16, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #7,079 of 7,725
Just received my compass. It came extremely well packed. In fact I had a hard time getting the wrap off some of the wires. The only gripe I had was with the adhesive they used to secure the OPA during shipping. Left a real messy gunk on the panel that took a couple of minutes to get rid off. It certainly added more fuel to the anxiety and excitement of getting it up and running as fast as I could.

My initial reaction was sheer disappointment. Soundstage was extremely narrow, volume was tiny although I had it turned all the way past 12 o'clock.I thought I had received a defective unit. However, upon closer inspection, I realized my 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor wasn't fully secured! While fiddling with the Neutrik socket and ensuring that my phones went in correctly, the adaptor had inadvertently came loose. Silly me...I guess I was just too anxious.

Problem solved! Pure audio bliss. It sounds fantastic right out of the box. Definitely a leap from my portable DAC/Amp. Tried with my HD-600 and this drives them like a beast. Best thing I bought this year...certainly in terms of best bang for the buck!

Really anxious to hear how it sounds after sufficient burn-in...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back