The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 9, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #5,161 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will be down-sampled by iTunes to 16/44.1 when it's played.

Actually, I think iTunes plays it thru as 96/24.

It looks like the Compass or Core Audio is down-sampling to to 48/16 (if I am reading this properly)

3425808794_848e1823bb_o.png

Apr 9, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #5,162 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the PS-1's running for a bit, now I've swapped in the ES3X's again. I stayed at the same outlet but this time I used the Audio-gd power cable. The hum in the left channel diminished leaving me to think that indeed, this outlet (close to the fridge) is picking up some hash. Once I add a bit of volume to the music I can't detect the hum except in very quiet passages. tomorrow when I hit my fully regulated 20 amp lab I'll be flying with grand power.

You know, as far as I know this is actually uncharted territory, I don't think anyone has tried out the Compass with IEMs before. It's good to hear that, with the lowered gain of these versions, you are apparently able to get a low enough volume from it for IEM listening. I hope the hum will disappear with more burn-in. Otherwise, perhaps some simple net-filtering will have to do the trick.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #5,163 of 7,725
How are you guys burning yours in besides listening to music? I am going to use the Pink Noise wav I believe.

I also received a new pair of HD650s with the Silver Dragon cable upgrade. Do you recommend I use those for burning in? Or something that has already been burnt in? Or do you even have headphones hooked up at all during burn-in of the Compass?

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #5,164 of 7,725
Good to see folks receiving their Compasses, well there was a power breakdown out here since yesterday and I could only read the thread this morning.. nice pictures, the final version looks very neat ! Kudos to Csroc !..
smily_headphones1.gif

Off topic : I got my DAC19SE yesterday, pity I haven't heard it as yet because of the power breakdown..

Congratulations ALL !!..
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #5,165 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are you guys burning yours in besides listening to music? I am going to use the Pink Noise wav I believe.

I used various kinds of music, some of it with a lot of bass (to give the capacitors a workout), and wav file of simultaneous pink noise and fast and slow frequency sweeps.

Quote:

I also received a new pair of HD650s with the Silver Dragon cable upgrade. Do you recommend I use those for burning in? Or something that has already been burnt in? Or do you even have headphones hooked up at all during burn-in of the Compass?

If your HD650 still need burn-in, why not burn them in together with the Compass? Makes sense to me. But you really need to hook a headphone up to the amp, otherwise it's not doing any work and therefore not burning in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandchak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic : I got my DAC19SE yesterday, pity I haven't heard it as yet because of the power breakdown..

Congratulations! Now you can start the DAC-19SE thread!
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #5,166 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If your HD650 still need burn-in, why not burn them in together with the Compass? Makes sense to me. But you really need to hook a headphone up to the amp, otherwise it's not doing any work and therefore not burning in.

Precisely what I am doing right now. I just wanted to verify.

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #5,167 of 7,725
Couple of days before I got an email from Cherry saying :

Because you have brought the audio-gd power cable,is it possible for us not to ship the common power cable to you? When we add the value is USD1 common cable to you,the weight of the package is over ,we have to pay more shipping cost.
How do you think?

I ordered the whole package with all the HDAM modules. Did anyone get an similar query ? Just curious...

Anyway, I replied saying its fine. I got that email on monday, which made me think mine will be shipped on Tuesday..but seems like there was no batch shipped on Tuesday...so hopefully tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif
!

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #5,168 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! Now you can start the DAC-19SE thread!
biggrin.gif

Thanks Dro, I rather stay away from starting a new thread..
wink.gif
in any case the DAC19SE has been discontinued.. Well I guess for me its like I got the first batch of Compass and the last batch of DAC19SE..
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice..
smile.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #5,169 of 7,725
Quote:

You sure about that? Even with the more difficult phones to amp like the HD650 or the DT880?

Yes, I'm using low gain with Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K701.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #5,170 of 7,725
Quote:

You sure about that? Even with the more difficult phones to amp like the HD650 or the DT880?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I'm using low gain with Sennheiser HD650 and AKG K701.

Seconded. I've been using the Compass with headphones ranging from 32 ohm to 600 ohm and never get beyond 8:30. I doubt, even with 600 ohm headphones, you could set the volume knob to anything beyond 12 o'clock in low gain without causing permanent damage to your ears.

Apr 9, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #5,171 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple of days before I got an email from Cherry saying :

Because you have brought the audio-gd power cable,is it possible for us not to ship the common power cable to you? When we add the value is USD1 common cable to you,the weight of the package is over ,we have to pay more shipping cost.
How do you think?

I ordered the whole package with all the HDAM modules. Did anyone get an similar query ? Just curious...

Anyway, I replied saying its fine. I got that email on monday, which made me think mine will be shipped on Tuesday..but seems like there was no batch shipped on Tuesday...so hopefully tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif
!

I got both HDAM and power cord upgrade as well, and got EXACTLY the same message. I too replied saying it was ok. It would have been nice to compare upgraded cable to normal, but whatever! My question is, it looks like the regular power cable is the same as any computer would use, so if I wanted to try it with the equivalent to a stock cable, could I just pick up a normal computer cable and use that?

Apr 9, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #5,173 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My question is, it looks like the regular power cable is the same as any computer would use, so if I wanted to try it with the equivalent to a stock cable, could I just pick up a normal computer cable and use that?

Absolutely, there's nothing special about the stock power cable that Audio-gd includes with the Compass. The cable of your computer might even have been made in exactly the same Chinese factory.

EDIT: And, of course, the other nightwatchman beat me to it.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've got the stock power cable here: the brand name seems to be "CCC" and it's a 3*0.75mm^2 cable. I could even send it to you, since it has an American plug, so it's not of any use to me. (But that would probably be a ridiculous waste of money in shipping costs.
biggrin.gif
)

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #5,174 of 7,725
I have just bought a headphone setup: AKG K701 (which I like very much!), Marantz SA7001 cd-player and Heed CanAmp.
Now I think about expanding the setup already. I think I want a Compass, so I have few questions, to which I am sure you experts have answers:
1. Has anybody compared the CanAmp to the Compass using K701?

2. Which is the best way to connect the Compass to my Marantz - can I do it digitally when using the Compass only as a headphone amplifier?

3. Can I use the Compass DAC witk my Marantz and improve the sound and at the same time use the headphone amplifier? If yes, how do I connect?

4. Is it correct, that used only as a headphone amplifier there is no need to buy the Moon and Sun OPAs as they are not in use in this capacity(and the Earth as well)?

5. Quite another matter: I hate talking about things and not know how to pronounce words correctly. Here in Denmark everybody says Grado with an a as in father. Is this correct or should it be a as in great or maybe even something else?

It will be a great help to have answers to these questions. I want to learn more about this fascinating new hobby of mine.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #5,175 of 7,725
Question... will this ASIO stuff affect anything (in a negative way) when I only use my onboard soundcard?

Is there any specific settings that I should be looking at setting in my media player. Planning on using Foobar or Media Monkey. I like Media Monkey, but have also heard great things about Foobar. I really miss iTunes simple and stylish layout though!!!

Also, I think (hopefully!) he will be shipping later today. That's what I seem to have found looking at the other shipping times. Thursday seems like the right day to ship for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back