The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 9, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #5,176 of 7,725
Checked the shipping page, and there's my name! Wooo-hoooo! Ohhh yah, ohhh yah (swinging fists in the air, dissolving into embarrassing dance). I would actually yell out but it's 3:18 AM and I would definitely wake my roomate. You know what, screw him.
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1
I see two Evans listed there. I ordered a Compass. I hope I'm not getting a C2C as well! Actually, I don't remember paying twice, so if they want to send it to me...
Upon further inspection, it looks like there are quite a few Evans in this shipment. Weird... not exactly a common name. Hey other Evans! So that C2C is probably not coming to me. Especially since they usually list both items together if you order more than one.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #5,177 of 7,725
EDIT: Erased. twas a double-post

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #5,178 of 7,725
EDIT: Erased, no longer relevant

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #5,179 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skibumef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Checked the shipping page, and there's my name! Wooo-hoooo! Ohhh yah, ohhh yah (swinging fists in the air, dissolving into embarrassing dance). I would actually yell out but it's 3:18 AM and I would definitely wake my roomate. You know what, screw him.
н¨ÍøÒ³ 1
I see two Evans listed there. I ordered a Compass. I hope I'm not getting a C2C as well! Actually, I don't remember paying twice, so if they want to send it to me...
Upon further inspection, it looks like there are quite a few Evans in this shipment. Weird... not exactly a common name. Hey other Evans! So that C2C is probably not coming to me. Especially since they usually list both items together if you order more than one.

OK deleted !..
smily_headphones1.gif

Ouch, think I added one more !!.. just press the edit button, delete the message and save changes and don't feel embarrassed !..
smile.gif

EDIT - As usual my good friend Dro always makes better sense than I do, I forgot to say you cant delete the post unless the Mods agree, but you can edit it and remove the contents - Thanks Dro !..
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:43 AM Post #5,180 of 7,725
Quote:

Oh dear lord I've double posted. How do I delete one of my posts? I don't see the option in the edit page.
frown.gif
This is embarrassing, if someone could teach me so I can learn my lesson, that would be great. My first assignment can be deleting this post!

You can't delete your posts. You can ask the mods to delete your post, but I think they rarely do. The best option is to edit one of your posts and delete the contents of it. That way it isn't very conspicuous.
(Double posts simply happen and can happen to anyone. Although the 'quick reply' option is apparently the main source of them.)

EDIT: Of course I could just let Sandchak do all the 'Compass customer service' today.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:49 AM Post #5,181 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can't delete your posts. You can ask the mods to delete your post, but I think they rarely do. The best option is to edit one of your posts and delete the contents of it. That way it isn't very conspicuous.
(Double posts simply happen and can happen to anyone. Although the 'quick reply' option is apparently the main source of them.)

EDIT: Of course I could just let Sandchak do all the 'Compass customer service' today.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advice! Haha, double posts "can happen to anyone"... sounds like a terrible disease.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #5,182 of 7,725
Quote:

Thanks for the advice! Haha, double posts "can happen to anyone"... sounds like a terrible disease.

Well, you seemed very upset about it.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #5,183 of 7,725
Quote:

This is about 4 day old news. :p should check more often.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM Post #5,185 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarathcpt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couple of days before I got an email from Cherry saying :

Because you have brought the audio-gd power cable,is it possible for us not to ship the common power cable to you? When we add the value is USD1 common cable to you,the weight of the package is over ,we have to pay more shipping cost.
How do you think?

I ordered the whole package with all the HDAM modules. Did anyone get an similar query ? Just curious...

Anyway, I replied saying its fine. I got that email on monday, which made me think mine will be shipped on Tuesday..but seems like there was no batch shipped on Tuesday...so hopefully tomorrow
smily_headphones1.gif
!

I ordered the power cable along with the Sun and Moon and it came in one package, including the stock power cable. The shippers must be sticklers since the stock power cord only weighs a couple ounces.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #5,186 of 7,725
smily_headphones1.gif
Had to clear the catche....

I'm not on the list.
frown.gif

Maybe he sent it out in batches... hopefully I'll be in the 240V batch. What I'm scared of right now is maybe he's hasn't received/ known I've paid. He's confirmed I've paid... but... I'm being paranoid.

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #5,187 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraNice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
Had to clear the catche....
What I'm scared of right now is maybe he's hasn't received/ known I've paid. He's confirmed I've paid... but... I'm being paranoid.

If he confirmed by e-mail i don't see why he isn't received it, just chill.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #5,189 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraNice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question... will this ASIO stuff affect anything (in a negative way) when I only use my onboard soundcard?

ASIO4ALL does improve onboard sound card quality because it bypasses the kmixer. PM me if you run into any trouble.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:19 PM Post #5,190 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have just bought a headphone setup: AKG K701 (which I like very much!), Marantz SA7001 cd-player and Heed CanAmp.
Now I think about expanding the setup already. I think I want a Compass, so I have few questions, to which I am sure you experts have answers:
1. Has anybody compared the CanAmp to the Compass using K701?

No, not to my knowledge.

Quote:

2. Which is the best way to connect the Compass to my Marantz - can I do it digitally when using the Compass only as a headphone amplifier?

A digital signal from your Marantz player will have to be decoded by a DAC before it can be amplified by the headphone amp. So that means that you will either use an analog connection between the cd player and the Compass and let the DAC of the cd player do the DA conversion, or you could send the digital output of your cd player (either optical or coaxial) to the Compass DAC and let that DAC do the DA conversion.

Quote:

3. Can I use the Compass DAC witk my Marantz and improve the sound and at the same time use the headphone amplifier? If yes, how do I connect?

Yes, you can simply connect the digital output (coaxial or optical) from your cd player to the Compass DAC. Whether that's an improvement on the analog output of your cd player is hard to say beforehand, because no one has made that particular comparison yet.

Quote:

4. Is it correct, that used only as a headphone amplifier there is no need to buy the Moon and Sun OPAs as they are not in use in this capacity(and the Earth as well)?

Yes, that is correct. Only the DAC of the Compass uses the OPAs, they wouldn't be necessary if you would go straight to the Compass amp and use only that. However, if you feel that you only need a headphone amp and not a DAC, it would be better to spend your money simply on a good amp.

Quote:

5. Quite another matter: I hate talking about things and not know how to pronounce words correctly. Here in Denmark everybody says Grado with an a as in father. Is this correct or should it be a as in great or maybe even something else?

As far as I know that is not correct. Although the Grado family originally comes from Italy, the way they pronounce their surname has been "Americanized", so it is actually pronounced with an "a" as in "ape" (and a stress on the first syllable).

For some more info on how the Compass works, you should also check the Compass FAQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back