The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 9, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #5,206 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone from this latest batch of Compass shipments received any tracking information yet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftingbunnies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no i have not

Me neither
frown.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #5,207 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone from this latest batch of Compass shipments received any tracking information yet?

Nor have I. I check once every hour or so anyway though!
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #5,208 of 7,725
Reading my name on that list was like seeing the plus sign on a pregnancy test, and now I'm just eagerly waiting for the ultrasound (I mean e-mail) to see that my baby is real and on the way!
biggrin.gif

EDIT: It better not take nine months to be delivered.
EDIT: It's an extended metaphor, in case you're confused. I am not pregnant, nor anatomically capable of becoming pregnant, unless I'm Ahhnold from that movie whose name I can't remember.

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #5,209 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know that is not correct. Although the Grado family originally comes from Italy, the way they pronounce their surname has been "Americanized", so it is actually pronounced with an "a" as in "ape" (and a stress on the first syllable).[/URL]

I've always pronounced it as graydough/greydough. If the native non-English speakers don't understand the "dough", it rhymes with mow(mowing the grass on the lawn) or snow(white frozen flakes of water).

Pronunciation is the biggest downside to the English language. The same spelling can have different meanings, and different pronunciations. And different spellings can sound exactly the same...

Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Apr 10, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #5,210 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioPhewl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've always pronounced it as graydough/greydough. If the native non-English speakers don't understand the "dough", it rhymes with mow(mowing the grass on the lawn) or snow(white frozen flakes of water).

Pronunciation is the biggest downside to the English language. The same spelling can have different meanings, and different pronunciations. And different spellings can sound exactly the same...

Happy listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

I too have always said graydough. I didn't realise there was any other way!
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #5,212 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So today, I received my shipment of the Audio-GD compass. Upon plugging in the co-axial cable, everything worked nicely. I decided to try the USB DAC function, which also worked fine. However, for some reason now, my XtremeMusic doesn't work anymore! If I have both plugged in at once, it iwll go to the DAC. If I only have the co-axial cable plugged in, it doesn't work at all. Does anyone know why this conflict arose?

Did the USB automatically override as your primary audio device when it installed? If so, you'll need to switch it back to the XtremeMusic in Windows for it to work.

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #5,214 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by nauxolo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did switch different options. When I was in ASIO4ALL (since I use that for foobar to output to my digital out on my x-fi card), it said that Status: Logically unavailable or something like that . "Your computer hates you!"

I figured it wasn't something that simple > <.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #5,215 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberidd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I too have always said graydough. I didn't realise there was any other way!
biggrin.gif

There isn't really, but it's not uncommon in many European countries to pronounce it in a more 'Italian manner'. I think they say 'graydough' here in The Netherlands too though.

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #5,216 of 7,725
Thank you very much for answering my questions.
Especially to Drosera for taking the time. This really helped.
I do hope, however, to hear from someone who has compared the sound of the Compass to the CanAmp when using the AKG K701.

Apr 10, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #5,218 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by jzkpr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I think iTunes plays it thru as 96/24.

It looks like the Compass or Core Audio is down-sampling to to 48/16 (if I am reading this properly)

3425808794_848e1823bb_o.png

What is happen in here is that when you use the USB connection only 48/16 audio is available (because of the computer's USB audio (settings/codecs/hardware)). However if you chose to use coax or optical digital output from the computer the information can be sent as 96/24 audio and still be decoded correctly by the compass.

I am going to be ordering a Compass soon, I have been wanting one for a couple months now. I can't wait.

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #5,219 of 7,725
Good news, the strange finish on my compass is gone.
After some fingerrubbing I found out that it is some kind of clear wax/grease stuf. With some warm water and soap it comes of very easily
biggrin.gif

But why would they put it on the Compass? I know the do it with cars, but why on audio equipment?

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #5,220 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by WallyPower /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good news, the strange finish on my compass is gone.
After some fingerrubbing I found out that it is some kind of clear wax/grease stuf. With some warm water and soap it comes of very easily
biggrin.gif

But why would they put it on the Compass? I know the do it with cars, but why on audio equipment?

To prevent scratches on the surface ?

By the way my compass have been ordered.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back