The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 9, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #5,146 of 7,725
These jumper diagrams still confuse the **** out of me.

Can someone walk this idiot through this part? I know what jumpers are from doing Master/Slave jumpers on hard drives, I am just having a difficult time understanding the diagrams. If I have the front of the unit facing me, do I rotate it clockwise or counter clockwise? Then what?

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #5,147 of 7,725
If the front is facing you, it is like this

jumper 1 ---> : : <--- Jumper 2

Jumper 1 ---> : : <--- Jumper 2

AND BE SURE IT IS TURNED OFF LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY
tongue.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #5,150 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If the front is facing you, it is like this

jumper 1 ---> : : <--- Jumper 2

Jumper 1 ---> : : <--- Jumper 2

AND BE SURE IT IS TURNED OFF LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY
tongue.gif

You sure? Even though the board lists it like this:
.. ..
.. ..
Jumper 1 Jumper 1
Jumper 2 Jumper 2

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:32 AM Post #5,153 of 7,725
Okay, forget about the compass facing you. It's best to just look at the jumpers with the right side of the compass facing you, like this.

Adjust.JPG

I go crosseyed when I see all those electronics, but just look at the white text underneath the jumpers.

Jumper 1 . . big space here . . Jumper 1
Jumper 2 . . big space here . . Jumper 2

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #5,154 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dat_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I am really confused.

The jumpers will only go in parallel to the long axis of the enclosure.

They will not go in rotated 90 degress (parallel to the short dimension).

There is a little diagram on the circuit board, you may need a magnifying glass to see it. It shown jump 1/Jump2. Align the pins as shown on the circuit board.

Edit: The above, very clear photo, shows the circuit board pin orientation. The confusion may be that there are no jumpers in that photo. So it looks kinda weird.

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #5,155 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, forget about the compass facing you. It's best to just look at the jumpers with the right side of the compass facing you, like this.

Adjust.JPG

I go crosseyed when I see all those electronics, but just look at the white text underneath the jumpers.

Jumper 1 . . big space here . . Jumper 1
Jumper 2 . . big space here . . Jumper 2

This is the right answer
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #5,158 of 7,725
So I'm listning right now to Yo Yo Ma playing some Baroque concertos via my Macbook Pro --> Flac --> Play --> Compass --> RS-1's. The sound is excellent, punchy, non-fatiguing. Very very fluid without a hint of stridency but at the same time the sound is not mushy either. An organic experience.

My main reason for wanting a dac/amp combo is because of my work situation. My Macbook Pro there is simply not up to the task of driving RS-1's or ES3X's with any hint of musicality let alone accuracy. It is pitchy, scratchy, hissing and nasty. Now though, I'll be enjoying music from start to finish each day without having to use my iPod Nano. My FLAC library remains in tact and I can listen to lossless without having to convert everything to ALAC and thereby having everything in triplicate (I already converted the files to V0 lame encoded mp3s).

I will get acclimated with the sound the more I listen tonight and particularly tomorrow. But again, the first striking feature of the Compass is the build quality. The packaging was top notch. Others have shown pictures already. The soldering work is excellent, the fit and finish is excellent and the inclusion of all the cables, the jumpers, the alan key etc were all added touches that really complete the entire package. I look at it, shake my head in disbelief at how much is packed in there for the cost. Add that to the wonderful customer service I've and the VERY fast shipping and I'm definitely a fan of Audio-gd. With the Reference 1 lined up for delivery sometime in late April or early May I'll be in for many hours of listening which is just absolutely exciting. Nothing like adding new gear to get the juices flowing.

For those who are pretty wet behind the ears when it comes to electronics (like I am) the ease of swapping in the opamp modules was a dream. I unscrewed the ground, unplugged the Earth, popped in the Moon, screwed down the ground and was finished in under a minute. A total breeze. Adding the jumpers was easy too (once one gets adjusted to the orientation).

All these little changes available to the listener on a rather inexpensive combo unit makes for quite the value as I see it.

I'll post a formal review in a week or so but for now, I'm dimming the lights and enjoying awesome music in my living room. Something that hasn't happened since I've moved here. Why? Because my big rig is in the basement.

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #5,159 of 7,725
Just plugged mine in a few minutes ago.... yippee....

Apr 9, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #5,160 of 7,725
I had the PS-1's running for a bit, now I've swapped in the ES3X's again. I stayed at the same outlet but this time I used the Audio-gd power cable. The hum in the left channel diminished leaving me to think that indeed, this outlet (close to the fridge) is picking up some hash. Once I add a bit of volume to the music I can't detect the hum except in very quiet passages. tomorrow when I hit my fully regulated 20 amp lab I'll be flying with grand power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back