The Audio-gd Compass (Was: Designing an alternative to the Zero DAC/amp)
Apr 8, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #5,131 of 7,725
Interesting...

this image

Adjust.JPG

Shows that the jumpers are stacked top to bottom if you look at it from that side of the amp board, which is how they are shown in the diagram as well. If that changed in the new amp board (which it doesn't appear to have) then they should match.

jumpers.gif

Here's the diagram from the lid rotated to match the orientation of the picture of the amp board above from Kingwa's site. The jumpers are stacked one above the other, so Jump1 is the top pair and Jump2 is the bottom pair.

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #5,132 of 7,725
This is what I am talking about. I have the compass oriented like the diagram shows. The diagram shows the jumpers being vertical.

On the jumper settings pic to the right the jumpers are horizontal.

I now understand that you have to turn the compass sideways with the headphone amp section closest to you to make it look like the jumper settings pic. This wasn't mentioned under the lid and I just found it a little confusing. Now that I know the actual board is labeled it makes it easier.
l_d4d21bc96ec94901a2dd9bc21c2642f9.jpg

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #5,133 of 7,725
Oh yes, the jumper diagram on the right you're talking about isn't a diagram of their alignment. To be honest I really didn't put any thought in to that part, I took what someone else designed as a suggestion and worked it in to the instructions. It's basically just a guide for what the settings are, but now that I understand what you are referring to, you are correct that they are rotated 90 degrees.

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #5,134 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drosera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't seen that discolouration of the lid before, but I think it has to do with the way it was packaged, as it seems to run along the areas that were covered by the foam in the box. I might disappear of its own accord, otherwise a little bit of soap and water (very little water
biggrin.gif
) should do the trick.

Mine looked the same, but it was just to polish with a soft cloth. So no worries!

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #5,135 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the Gain setting based on your headphone's efficiency/type or personal preference?

I doubt that anyone will use the high gain setting regardless of headphone sensitivity. Even in low gain and with low sensitivity headphones I have the volume control at around 8 to 8:30 for normal listening volume.

So using high gain just gets impractical cause you will have trouble regulating the volume with any precision.

Apr 8, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #5,137 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I doubt that anyone will use the high gain setting regardless of headphone sensitivity.

You sure about that? Even with the more difficult phones to amp like the HD650 or the DT880?

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #5,138 of 7,725
A question for those who ordered extra OPA modules with the compass.
Do they come with the grounding wire for the compass by default or did you have to explicitly say that the extra OPAs were for use in the compass in your orders?

Apr 8, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #5,139 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottuna_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question for those who ordered extra OPA modules with the compass.
Do they come with the grounding wire for the compass by default or did you have to explicitly say that the extra OPAs were for use in the compass in your orders?

AFAIK they come setup with the ring terminal added to the ground wire. If you have other modules without it it's fairly easy to add the terminal, as long as you have the parts and crimp tool on hand. My all in one stripper tool has all kinds of useful features and such a tool should be a part of anyone's tool box for a home or whatever it is you live in(barring a card board box of course in which case luxuries such as music are the last thing on your mind
biggrin.gif
)

All HDAMs come with the ground wire, the only difference between those ordered for use with the Compass is the aforementioned ring terminal installed.

Makes things easier for those using a Compass that's for sure.

Peete.

Apr 8, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #5,140 of 7,725
This is very well packaged. Styroform outer layer with bubblewrap around the compass. The cutouts in the styroform for the Sun and the Moon, packaged in separate cardboard boxes, is nice. I like the sticker on the top with your name, country, voltage and date, my handwritten date is 2009.03.17-12 (?). The power cable looks cool, the sleeve may be a little big?

However, I don't know about the pink optical cable?

Also, this package was never opened. The stated value on the shipping ticket is 60.90 USD (must be the Chinese, used, resale value).

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #5,141 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange, I live in Vancouver Canada, but my compass got routed through Wilmington, OH. It's now within city limits, but I see a nice "Clearance delay". Damn you customs, Damn you!! I hope the new owners of a compass are enjoying the music!

Call DHL. It will sit there indefinitely unless you bug them to clear it faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzkpr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question for the the pro's on the Compass.
My chain is as follows Apple Lossless>iTunes>iMac>USB>Compass

Now, the file I am listening to at the moment is 96kHz/24bit.

I was told that the Compass only supported up to 44/16 but this looks to not be the case?

It will be down-sampled by iTunes to 16/44.1 when it's played.

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #5,143 of 7,725
Okay, so kids are in bed and I've just opened up the chassis, first thing I noticed? It smells NEW. I mean, NEW NEW. Like it was made, burned in and sent to me. Pretty sweet. I've only ever had that experience from some Wyetech Labs gear I was testing out at one point.

I have the Moon and the stock Earth. I warmed up the unit using the Earth but I had the Moon in mind from the outset so in it went along with putting in a set of jumpers on Jumper 2 for a slightly less than neutral sound. This unit is going to work with me and I need to have a nice warm sound by which I can listen to for 8+ hours without even the hint of fatigue. FLAC + Compass + RS-1's. There is a noticeable hum in the left channel when I plug in my Westone ES3X's. I'll move the unit around to other power outlets but if the sound persists, I'll have to go with full-sized headphones. The ES3X's are apparently the most efficient headphone going so I understand the idea of not getting DEAD quiet sounds with it, but I had hoped for this.

I'm letting the unit warm up and then I'll start some listening. Should be a lot of fun!

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #5,144 of 7,725
After seeing some of the pictures posted by recent owners of new Compasses, I have decided to finally order one up tonight!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been trying to decide when to purchase one, but after seeing how great it now looks I realise I cant resist any longer.... I need one :-D

Apr 9, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #5,145 of 7,725
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, so kids are in bed and I've just opened up the chassis, first thing I noticed? It smells NEW. I mean, NEW NEW. Like it was made, burned in and sent to me. Pretty sweet. I've only ever had that experience from some Wyetech Labs gear I was testing out at one point.

I have the Moon and the stock Earth. I warmed up the unit using the Earth but I had the Moon in mind from the outset so in it went along with putting in a set of jumpers on Jumper 2 for a slightly less than neutral sound. This unit is going to work with me and I need to have a nice warm sound by which I can listen to for 8+ hours without even the hint of fatigue. FLAC + Compass + RS-1's. There is a noticeable hum in the left channel when I plug in my Westone ES3X's. I'll move the unit around to other power outlets but if the sound persists, I'll have to go with full-sized headphones. The ES3X's are apparently the most efficient headphone going so I understand the idea of not getting DEAD quiet sounds with it, but I had hoped for this.

I'm letting the unit warm up and then I'll start some listening. Should be a lot of fun!

Yes, open the hood and you get that new car smell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back