The ATH-AD700 Discussion Thread
Mar 21, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #46 of 827
file.php

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #47 of 827
Its so common to have cans that will impress you with bass, liquid mids, sharp attack, etc... But what is not common is a can that can make you just enjoy the music even being the paranoid audiophile you are... The ad700 achieves such a feat

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #48 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its so common to have cans that will impress you with bass, liquid mids, sharp attack, etc... But what is not common is a can that can make you just enjoy the music even being the paranoid audiophile you are... The ad700 achieves such a feat

I have had mine for about 2 years now and still enjoy them everyday. I still want to upgrade but everytime I put them on that feeling goes away. Still looking forward to your AD900 impressions though. Any news on them yet?

Mar 22, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #50 of 827
FiiO E3 made my AD700 sound pretty good, even if it lowers the highs by like 15%...mmm tight bass...

filephpq.jpg

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:10 AM Post #51 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by slick1ru2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do they compare to the Grado SR80? Got a little money from Uncle Sam and was going to do some stimulating. I have the closed version that I really like but I got a pair of SR80's later and I like the Grados better after they were burned in, highs were too bright right out of the box but smoothed out nicely. Other phones I was looking at were the DT440 and K240S which has great reviews but people talk about the detachable proprietary cord is easy to break and hard to get fixed.

Take a look at the graphs at headphone.com. That shows you a pretty clear picture of the differences in those two phones (I am judging from SR60i, though, but it's similar enough to SR80 compared with the ATH to give an idea). The mids/upper mids are just very, very recessed on the AD700s. I haven't found many phones there (if any at all) that are more recessed than the the 700s are, in fact (HD595 is close, but even then has a few higher peaks).

Personally, I couldn't take the lack of mids and had to return them, even if they are way smoother and more expansive than the grados (which are more direct and totally in your face, obviously). If you like the grado sound, I don't think you are going to like the AD700s much, unless you are looking for a complement to that sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #52 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at the graphs at headphone.com. That shows you a pretty clear picture of the differences in those two phones (I am judging from SR60i, though, but it's similar enough to SR80 compared with the ATH to give an idea). The mids/upper mids are just very, very recessed on the AD700s. I haven't found many phones there (if any at all) that are more recessed than the the 700s are, in fact (HD595 is close, but even then has a few higher peaks).

Personally, I couldn't take the lack of mids and had to return them, even if they are way smoother and more expansive than the grados (which are more direct and totally in your face, obviously). If you like the grado sound, I don't think you are going to like the AD700s much, unless you are looking for a complement to that sound.
smily_headphones1.gif

Wait... What? Recessed mids? Not on the AD700's...

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #53 of 827
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Graphs don't necessarily show what a given headphone is going to sound like. The mids are not nearly as recessed as the graph shows. Id say they are actually somewhat forward in the mids.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #54 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

they were slightly recessed on mine before burn in.
but they really came out after about 100 hours.

Mar 22, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #55 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, they're pretty laid back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Graphs don't necessarily show what a given headphone is going to sound like. The mids are not nearly as recessed as the graph shows. Id say they are actually somewhat forward in the mids.

That wasn't my experience, but I only burned them in for about 48hrs. The graph matches what I heard pretty closely, I think, and matches pretty well what I hear with my grados also.

Mar 22, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #58 of 827
Quote:

That wasn't my experience, but I only burned them in for about 48hrs.

Im guessing you must not believe in burn in.
I guess I'll be the one to say this please don't bash headphones by writing a review about how bad they are without letting them burn in.
(It's a terrible habit of some people that might keep someone from getting a headphone do to a false review.)

Please don't take it personally this is not just directed at you its to anyone who does this obnoxious stuff. (your statement was not even half as bad as some)

Let me give you a hint before you judge any headphone give it at least 100hrs of burn in.

I say this because the change my Ultrasone HFI-780 went through from hour 50 to hour 100 was simply stunning I was amazed it sounded like a whole new headphone.

Also I never really kept track when burning in my AD700 but it was probably around 70 or 80 hrs before the burn in really started to change the sound signature.

I believe if you had kept them a little longer you might still have them.

Either all that that or you have mids confused with bass. lol jk

Quote:

Originally Posted by CustomDrive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how does the AD700 compare to the AD500? and do any of them require amps?

AD700 FTW! no there is no amp needed although you might be able to get a smidgen more bass out of them. But thats about it.

Mar 22, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #60 of 827
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baird GoW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im guessing you must not believe in burn in.
I guess I'll be the one to say this please don't bash headphones by writing a review about how bad they are without letting them burn in.
(It's a terrible habit of some people that might keep someone from getting a headphone do to a false review.)

Please don't take it personally this is not just directed at you its to anyone who does this obnoxious stuff. (your statement was not even half as bad as some)

Let me give you a hint before you judge any headphone give it at least 100hrs of burn in.

I say this because the change my Ultrasone HFI-780 went through from hour 50 to hour 100 was simply stunning I was amazed it sounded like a whole new headphone.

Also I never really kept track when burning in my AD700 but it was probably around 70 or 80 hrs before the burn in really started to change the sound signature.

I believe if you had kept them a little longer you might still have them.

Either all that that or you have mids confused with bass. lol jk

AD700 FTW! no there is no amp needed although you might be able to get a smidgen more bass out of them. But thats about it.

No, I do believe in burn in to some extent. I thought I made that clear when I said that I had *only* burned them in for a couple of days. Just to be clear, I'm also not "bashing" the ATs. I think they're a great headphone, and the fact that they sound so good at that price and don't even need an amp is amazing. I just had a problem with certain aspects of their presentation because of *my* preferences.

It's quite possible that they open up more after a few more hours, and perhaps that's why the headphone.com results look the way they do. But on those graphs you can clearly see the drop offs between around 1500-6000Hz (whether you want to call that upper mids or low highs I don't really care), and that's exactly what I heard, too. Load up some other phone into the chart like the K601 in comparison and you can see it all the more strikingly.

So like I said, maybe what I heard matched their graphs because the phones were relatively new in both cases. But although I think burn in can probably modify the sound to some extent, I also don't think it will usually cause them to start behaving like totally different headphones. They will retain their same basic sonic signature, and a phone like the AD700 is not going to start sounding like a grado just because it's burned in for a week. It's mostly your ears that are changing and adjusting to the new sound.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back