The Astell & Kern AK240
Aug 15, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #8,986 of 9,131
NO mention of Balance, they look the same for a Microphone adapter coz of the TRRS plug...

Huh? You seem to think that there is some kind of active electronics happening inside an adapter.. That's odd.

Yes, the 2.5mm balanced output of a DAP uses a TRRS socket. The headphones have a TRRS plug. When you put the TRRS plug in the TRRS socket, the Tip connects with the Tip, the 2 Rings connect with the 2 Rings and the Sleeve connects to the Sleeve.

*ANY* TRRS 2.5mm adapter does this. Yes, every TRRS to TRRS adapter..... Even if the size changes from 2.5mm to 3.5mm . And they will work for a balanced connection just as well as with a microphone adapter. Or you could use it as an A/V output or you could use it as an LED WRGB connector.

They are nothing more than strips of metal inside - you can use it for anything.

Haha.. have you seen the film Spinal Tap? Where the journalist tries to point out that having 10 on the dial is the same as having 11? Feels a little like that for me :D

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #8,988 of 9,131
According to a local very respected Modder / DIYer & HP IEM Cable builder, 3.5 female to 2.5 Male will damage the IEM via shorting the line. He had 1st hand experiences a long time ago...

It wouldn't be the iems or cans being damaged, the only slight possibility would be damaging the DAP if there's some problem with having a driver connected between Left and Right signals.. I don't think there would be.

A driver works by acting on the difference between two voltages. If you could (I don't think you can) accidentally connected +R and +L to one driver, then you'll get a lower volume signal coming through the driver, a mono difference mix (i.e. only differences between L and R will be heard with the rest cancelling each other out. If you accidentally connected +R and -L to a driver, I think you'd get the opposite.. Everything that was the same between L and R being normal volume but with a suck out of content of the differences betwen L and R.

That will sound wierd but it's not dong any damage to a speaker or driver.

Unless of course someone can explain why I might be wrong.. happy to learn.

Aug 15, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #8,989 of 9,131
For the angled 2.5mm plug, just have it resoldered on your cable end if you need it. 2.5mm angled plugs are quite rare. No need to mess with adapters and safest solution.

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #8,990 of 9,131
I disagree - there are loads of them out there. Straight-through 4-pole to 4-pole with all the contacts following through to the exact same positions on the adapter as they are in the DAP's socket.

That's what most adapters are.. It will say if it does anything other than that as it will be special and much more expensive, bespoke for a purpose. The cheap ones are guaranteed to be striaght-through - just bits of metal going from plug end to socket end, exactly as they are in the original socket from metal contact to solder point on the circuit.

Aug 17, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #8,992 of 9,131
It wouldn't be the iems or cans being damaged, the only slight possibility would be damaging the DAP if there's some problem with having a driver connected between Left and Right signals.. I don't think there would be.

A driver works by acting on the difference between two voltages. If you could (I don't think you can) accidentally connected +R and +L to one driver, then you'll get a lower volume signal coming through the driver, a mono difference mix (i.e. only differences between L and R will be heard with the rest cancelling each other out. If you accidentally connected +R and -L to a driver, I think you'd get the opposite.. Everything that was the same between L and R being normal volume but with a suck out of content of the differences betwen L and R.

That will sound wierd but it's not dong any damage to a speaker or driver.

Unless of course someone can explain why I might be wrong.. happy to learn.

Experience the best teacher. If your successful with that setup, fine. I'd like to see some SS of that 3.5 SE to 2.5 balance adapter...

Aug 17, 2019 at 2:31 AM Post #8,993 of 9,131
Aug 17, 2019 at 8:45 AM Post #8,994 of 9,131
Experience the best teacher. If your successful with that setup, fine. I'd like to see some SS of that 3.5 SE to 2.5 balance adapter...

So if you fear something (fear something is going to break) you just continue to be too afraid to test via experience?

Teaching knowledge is the best teacher! Once you use knowledge and intelligence, you no longer have to fear things... you can know.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #8,995 of 9,131
trying to add ground to AK's balanced (ground from 3.5mm jack)

so should we call this pseudo pentacon ? coz it was kinda similar with how pentacon is R+R- L+L- G

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191007-012641__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20191007-012641__01.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 6, 2019 at 8:09 PM Post #8,997 of 9,131
well jokes aside XD

is that kind of cable setup usable to brand beside AK ? supposedly it was safe for AK, coz it's even on their guide book, but what about other like ibasso or fiio ? i mean this kind of cable setup is rarely made by famous cable maker like EE or PW

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #8,998 of 9,131
Guys, Just got a AK240 Gold. Now the hardest part. Which IEM or Over the ear headphone. My budget around 750. Just because I saw Massdrop Emprire Ear Zues for 750. Other option is new Beyerdynamics T8iE MkII from ebay for 550. Finally should I extend and go for AKt5p. From my research t1p being 600ohm will not be suitable for AK240 I heard. Thoughts please?

Nov 14, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #8,999 of 9,131
Guys, Just got a AK240 Gold. Now the hardest part. Which IEM or Over the ear headphone. My budget around 750. Just because I saw Massdrop Emprire Ear Zues for 750. Other option is new Beyerdynamics T8iE MkII from ebay for 550. Finally should I extend and go for AKt5p. From my research t1p being 600ohm will not be suitable for AK240 I heard. Thoughts please?

For your Reference, the HD600, HD650 @ 600 ohms also will not "sing" on ur 240, per my audition
Haven't u considered the Drop NA Kaiser 10 ? just upgrade the cable & ur fine...

upload_2019-11-14_10-27-10.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back