The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 19, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #9,016 of 9,131
Me. It was working perfectly Fine. just decided by itself to stop charging. Previously, it decided to turn off by itself. Have to send it Korea. The local dealer has no resetting tool. According to fellow enthusiasts, that's the system, send it to korea, &have it to turn it on over there...
I can turn it on I still have about 6 percent but it won’t charge. Your right I might have to send it to Korea to get fixed. I might have to wait until things settle down in the world to do so though. That’s ok I love this little player so it’s worth it. Maybe get them to put a new battery in it while it’s there.

Mar 25, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #9,018 of 9,131
... even when I sell my AK240 cause I changed recently to Ibasso DX160 (only for technical reason, as the AK240 doesn't read my 1tb card properly) , I can suggest those cans for 240 users.

By the way, if someone interested in my AK240 please PM..

I'm struggling right now with the decision if I should buy a used AK240 or a new DX160. I can get them for the same price..

How would you compare them in term of sound quality/signature?

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #9,019 of 9,131
I'm struggling right now with the decision if I should buy a used AK240 or a new DX160. I can get them for the same price..

Hello,

If you really ONLY listen to soundquality and let all other points out, i would go for the AK240, if you can get them for the same price. I feel (and this is all heavily personal) the AK has more clarity, more structured and more defined sound. (All thise judgements are always in a very very minimal range and most of my friends tell they can hardly hear differences when comparing such devices :)
Even DX160 has a incredible Price/Prformance ratio. (One need to consider the price of a new AK240 at the time it came out and the price of the DX160 now..

Mar 25, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #9,020 of 9,131
Hello,

If you really ONLY listen to soundquality and let all other points out, i would go for the AK240, if you can get them for the same price. I feel (and this is all heavily personal) the AK has more clarity, more structured and more defined sound. (All thise judgements are always in a very very minimal range and most of my friends tell they can hardly hear differences when comparing such devices :)
Even DX160 has a incredible Price/Prformance ratio. (One need to consider the price of a new AK240 at the time it came out and the price of the DX160 now..

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you for this information.
Yes I'm agree, the DX160 offers a lot of nice features and it's for sure a more up to date devise. But for me, I'm looking for a pure audio player, with the highest possible sound quality (for my budget of course:wink:. I know we are talking about hardly noticeable details, but this is somehow where the magic happens. I'm curious how different the wideness of the soundstage and the general dynamic of the sound is?
One feature that I really like about the DX160 is the parametric eq. It's a hard decision tho.. Also regarding having a warranty or not and knowing that the AK customer service isn't premium at all.. I had this experience with my AK100ii..
Somehow I don't really like that the dap becomes more and more like a smartphone, but of course it also has its advantages. I like the idea the fact that with ak connect I can access the music on my computer. Do you know if the files are down sampled using ak connect? If it could access the music directly from my external Harddrive would be even better. But as far as I know both of the devices don't have this feature. Is this right?

Mar 25, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #9,021 of 9,131
No downsampling using AK Connect. MQS Streaming Server is the AK app that allows one to access files on their PC/Mac with their AK DAP.

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #9,023 of 9,131
Guys, Just got a AK240 Gold. Now the hardest part. Which IEM or Over the ear headphone. My budget around 750. Just because I saw Massdrop Emprire Ear Zues for 750. Other option is new Beyerdynamics T8iE MkII from ebay for 550. Finally should I extend and go for AKt5p. From my research t1p being 600ohm will not be suitable for AK240 I heard. Thoughts please?

I would recommend the Beyerdynamic Xelento. Particularly if you like bass. Not for heavy metal or super fast music, but okay to great for everything else.
I'll have ak240SS coming today or tomorrow, as well as Sp2000 and it makes a nice pairing.

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #9,024 of 9,131
I would recommend the Beyerdynamic Xelento. Particularly if you like bass. Not for heavy metal or super fast music, but okay to great for everything else.
I'll have ak240SS coming today or tomorrow, as well as Sp2000 and it makes a nice pairing.

My SS is almost 5 years old and still sounding and working great! I prefer its smaller size compared to the current AK DAPs (although the SA700 looks interesting for streaming my favorite internet radio stations).

Mar 31, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #9,025 of 9,131
My SS is almost 5 years old and still sounding and working great! I prefer its smaller size compared to the current AK DAPs (although the SA700 looks interesting for streaming my favorite internet radio stations).

I thought i might mention, depending on the health of your battery "assuming Li Polymer are affected", you may expect SQ improvement from a new battery. Old batteries don't deliver power quite as well and it does affect sound.
In the future when prices fall, consider SP2000 with your D8000. It really is a fantastic combo.

---------
Mine arrived today. I was shocked at how small it is honestly, i remembered it differently.
SP2000 is a substantial improvement but not surprising given its size and weight penalty and newer components. Basically more power 'authoritative' and has less noise/distortion 'quieter background'. Translating to better bass control, details popping our of a quieter/darker background with clearer separation but most noticeably its smoother.

Ak240SS It is a great little player! and i'm really happy with it's audio quality. I definitely would recommend it even now to anybody. Especially if what I've read about new larger battery replacement giving 12hr playback is true. Forget ak380 and sp1000.
I love this little device.

Mar 31, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #9,026 of 9,131
I thought i might mention, depending on the health of your battery "assuming Li Polymer are affected", you may expect SQ improvement from a new battery. Old batteries don't deliver power quite as well and it does affect sound.
In the future when prices fall, consider SP2000 with your D8000. It really is a fantastic combo.

---------
Mine arrived today. I was shocked at how small it is honestly, i remembered it differently.
SP2000 is a substantial improvement but not surprising given its size and weight penalty and newer components. Basically more power 'authoritative' and has less noise/distortion 'quieter background'. Translating to better bass control, details popping our of a quieter/darker background with clearer separation but most noticeably its smoother.

Ak240SS It is a great little player! and i'm really happy with it's audio quality. I definitely would recommend it even now to anybody. Especially if what I've read about new larger battery replacement giving 12hr playback is true. Forget ak380 and sp1000.
I love this little device.

Thank you for your suggestion about the battery. I have a 4,100 mAh replacement battery I just bought from AliExpress, and a torx T5 to open up the case, but I need to get a sticky pad to keep the battery in place once installed. I’m a little concerned about what to use as a means to keep the battery in place since the SS gets really hot when playing hi res files, especially DSD files.

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #9,027 of 9,131

I own @ 240 & auditioned the 160. the 160's a very safe buy. May not look great (for me Simplicity is Beauty) but sounds better & has a really large venue (Sound stage along all axes)

Apr 1, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #9,028 of 9,131
I own @ 240 & auditioned the 160. the 160's a very safe buy. May not look great (for me Simplicity is Beauty) but sounds better & has a really large venue (Sound stage along all axes)

Signature / Tuning:
240 = Bright, small stage
160 = Not reference, a bit warm, very nice mids, very nice treble, oh my that sound field...!

Apr 2, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #9,030 of 9,131
Just picked up a AK 240 Blue Note version that hasn't been used. Any issues with software updates? I've heard horror stories about the most recent SW update with the AK KANN.

The deal included the micro SD cards, stand, and books. The deal was too good to pass up. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back