The Astell & Kern AK240
Apr 14, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #9,046 of 9,131
The right channel is out when plugged in. When plugging in the cable, sound is from the right channel, then when it's fully inserted, sound is only from the left.

Aware of the toggle. That's why I'm wondering about the software.
That’s a common issue with the 2.5mm jack on ak240. Only a portion of the 2.5mm plugs in market fit properly.

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #9,048 of 9,131
Ah. Funny, this cable worked with the AK KANN.

So, can you recommend a balanced cable that will work? Needs to fit Focal Elear.
AK somewhat fixed the balanced port issue in later releases like the AK380 and that's why you are not facing an issue on your Kann. If your player is under warranty, would advise to contact their support if this can be fixed.
Furutech's 2.5mm plugs work slightly better but still will experience audio cut out if your cable twists often around the port.

Apr 14, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #9,049 of 9,131
The right channel is out when plugged in. When plugging in the cable, sound is from the right channel, then when it's fully inserted, sound is only from the left.

Aware of the toggle. That's why I'm wondering about the software.

A&K made a design error with the 240/240SS regarding the balanced output. If you look carefully at it, the plastic sleeve insert on the jack is recessed below the metal housing which means your connector most likely will come in contact with the metal chassis thereby shorting out one channel. The solution to this is to apply something either on your plug or on the chassis like some tape so that your connector does not come in contact.

With that said, some connectors don’t have this issue because of its plug design, and that’s why not everyone experienced this issue. Simple fix.

Congrats on your purchase! I still love my SS five years after purchasing it ...

Apr 14, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #9,050 of 9,131
A&K made a design error with the 240/240SS regarding the balanced output. If you look carefully at it, the plastic sleeve insert on the jack is recessed below the metal housing which means your connector most likely will come in contact with the metal chassis thereby shorting out one channel. The solution to this is to apply something either on your plug or on the chassis like some tape so that your connector does not come in contact.

With that said, some connectors don’t have this issue because of its plug design, and that’s why not everyone experienced this issue. Simple fix.

Congrats on your purchase! I still love my SS five years after purchasing it ...

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I think you are correct. I'll need to look for a plug that has a plastic body holding the plug post. I tried the tape trick, no luck.

The AK240 Blue Note sounds excellent, definitely better than the AK KANN. For now, just use the SE input until I can get the balanced issue sorted.

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:34 PM Post #9,051 of 9,131
By the way, you can confirm this chassis grounding issue by ge
Thanks for the helpful feedback. I think you are correct. I'll need to look for a plug that has a plastic body holding the plug post. I tried the tape trick, no luck.

The AK240 Blue Note sounds excellent, definitely better than the AK KANN. For now, just use the SE input until I can get the balanced issue sorted.

I’m very surprised the tape didn’t work. Let’s figure this out ... first, any chance you can take a picture of your 2.5mm connector showing the plug and it’s base?

Also, try this as an experiment: seat your 2.5mm all the way in, then pull it out just a tiny amount so the base is no longer touching the chassis. If you pull it out too much, you’ll lose a channel. I’ll keep my eye on this thread ...

Apr 14, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #9,052 of 9,131
Here is a pic of the connector plug. I'm beginning to think that the plug is not going down far enough. I've tried pulling up just slightly, and the sound goes dead. Pull up a little more, and sound appears on the right channel. Fully inserted, sound is only from the left channel.

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 0
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #9,053 of 9,131
Here is a pic of the connector plug. I'm beginning to think that the plug is not going down far enough. I've tried pulling up just slightly, and the sound goes dead. Pull up a little more, and sound appears on the right channel. Fully inserted, sound is only from the left channel.

Thank you for the picture. It may be this connector won’t work properly with the 240 jack. If you’re good with a soldering iron, I would suggest this Eidolic 2.5mm connector. I used a version of this and had zero issues with cut-outs:

1586917434968.jpeg

Double Helix sells this connector for about $13, but there are other sellers online. If you are not able to solder this yourself (and I will warn you soldering a TRRS connector is tricky because of 4 solder points), then you may want to reach out to Ted @teds headfood who builds new cables and does reterminations. You can message him for cost and whether he has a TRRS in stock that works with your 240. He will know since he owned a 240 when it first came out, and dealt with this cut-out issue.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #9,054 of 9,131
Feel free to reach out to me via PM with any questions.

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #9,055 of 9,131
Apr 15, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #9,056 of 9,131
Jun 27, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #9,058 of 9,131
Anybody try one of the new 512GB Microsd cards yet?

i did, have latest firmware, samsung evo plus, and it does not work, keeps coming up "damaged card"

have tried to format using the ak240 and still no go

works fine in a sony z1a

My AK240 reads the Kingston 512 GB microsd card that I recently purchased no problem. Thanks to info on this thread, I first used a card reader and loaded files onto it through Windows explorer. I then removed the card safely and inserted it into my player, which recognized the card and all the files. No problems with "damaged card", long delays in reading, etc.

So I guess the takeaway is to mount the card first on Windows, let it do its thing with FAT32, and only then insert into the AK240.

The only catch is that third-party software (I use Media Monkey) might not recognize the files in its main library. In my case it saw them as separate folders. So I had to delete and re-load them all, which was a slight annoyance, but now I'm all set to go. My main problem now is to decide how to use all that extra storage space :wink:

Jun 27, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #9,059 of 9,131
My AK240 reads the Kingston 512 GB microsd card that I recently purchased no problem. Thanks to info on this thread, I first used a card reader and loaded files onto it through Windows explorer. I then removed the card safely and inserted it into my player, which recognized the card and all the files. No problems with "damaged card", long delays in reading, etc.

So I guess the takeaway is to mount the card first on Windows, let it do its thing with FAT32, and only then insert into the AK240.

The only catch is that third-party software (I use Media Monkey) might not recognize the files in its main library. In my case it saw them as separate folders. So I had to delete and re-load them all, which was a slight annoyance, but now I'm all set to go. My main problem now is to decide how to use all that extra storage space :wink:

Hi-res music. 😉

Jul 13, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #9,060 of 9,131
OK, good luck and let us know how it all worked out for you.

Well, it took quite some time, but just got back from AK via The Music Room the AK240 Blue Note. AK replaced the 2.5 mm jack, installed a new battery, and did something to resolve a problem I was having with the micro SD card. Having the balanced connection working is excellent, it does sound quieter.

When I first tried the micro SD card, unit locked up after a minute. Shut down and re-seated the card, and no further issues.

Unit is now fully functional. Very happy with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back