The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 4, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #7,864 of 9,131
  Is the AK240 good for a standalone DAC?

I would say the AK240 would be a very good standalone DAC but not a great one. I know of one person who bought an AK240 to use partly as a standalone dac in his main stationary system and had high expectations but he was disappointed in it and later sold it. I don't know what his prior dac was but he apparently had a very good system.

Personally, I've never used my AK240 as a standalone DAC in my main system but in comparison with my non-portable Benchmark DAC2 HGC in my main system, the Benchmark is superior to the AK240 in terms of detail, transparency etc. (when listening to songs using the Benchmark's headphone out). This implies that the Benchmark's DAC is superior to the AK240's DAC. Of course, the Benchmark is non-portable so it's a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Getting top tier sound from a portable is a difficult task and it's likely that a portable unit will never achieve the same results as a stationary unit because of power supply limitations and other factors.

It would be interesting to hear from those who have actually used the AK240 as a standalone dac.

Oct 5, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #7,865 of 9,131
I use the 240 as a DAC when listening to qobuz or tidal. The signal goes from my iPad to a powered hub to the 240, then to headphone amp.

The result is good for streaming audio at CD quality.

The 240 DAC does not compete with my standalone DAC but then that is 10 times the size.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #7,866 of 9,131
FLAC question

I recently converted all of my files to FLAC and did a clean copy of all my music to a factory reset AK240 (RWAK). Everything is fine, but when I added a few more albums via Android File Transfer, I noticed there are extra files in all of my folders. The files are all 8KB and there is one for each track with the same file name, but has an "._" attached to the the beginning of the file name. I can't copy these from ATP to my Mac to have a look either. When I browse folders in my AK, these small files do not show up, only the music tracks show.

Just curious if AK OS uses these for anything like thumbnails or something. I also don't know if these were added when I copied the FLAC files from my NAS to the AK. On my NAS original folders, these 8 KB files do not exist.

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #7,867 of 9,131
  FLAC question

I recently converted all of my files to FLAC and did a clean copy of all my music to a factory reset AK240 (RWAK). Everything is fine, but when I added a few more albums via Android File Transfer, I noticed there are extra files in all of my folders. The files are all 8KB and there is one for each track with the same file name, but has an "._" attached to the the beginning of the file name. I can't copy these from ATP to my Mac to have a look either. When I browse folders in my AK, these small files do not show up, only the music tracks show.

Just curious if AK OS uses these for anything like thumbnails or something. I also don't know if these were added when I copied the FLAC files from my NAS to the AK. On my NAS original folders, these 8 KB files do not exist.

Those are resource fork files that are invisible until you transfer the file to a non OS X file system. There are terminal commands in OS X to prevent them from being created but the easiest way is to use a utility. I use BlueHarvest but there are also free ones. Google ._ if you want to get the technical low-down.  

Oct 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #7,868 of 9,131

Those are resource fork files that are invisible until you transfer the file to an non OS X file system. There are terminal commands in OS X to prevent them from being created but the easiest way is to use a utility. I use BlueHarvest but there are also free ones. Google ._ if you want to get the technical low-down.  

Cool thanks. All of these are collectively taking up less than 100 MB of space so I may just leave as is. Appreciate the info on the  utility!

Forgot to mention that I never saw these with ALAC files so now I realize that the extra metadata must already be imbedded in the ALAC files themselves.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #7,869 of 9,131
My RWAK+240 sound great balanced out direct from chip without going through the headphone amp as a standalone DAC. From single ended out (through headphone amp), less detail and range.

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #7,871 of 9,131
^^ Sadly when I was in school, that was the peak for "portable audio". 
tongue.gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #7,872 of 9,131
Yep, I wonder what DAC I could have connected to my first "smart phone"

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #7,873 of 9,131
Hope someone can assist. Before the recent update, I was able to delete individual files by swiping to left and deleting. It doesn't appear to do that anymore; any help would be terrific.
Thanks.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #7,874 of 9,131
Hope someone can assist. Before the recent update, I was able to delete individual files by swiping to left and deleting. It doesn't appear to do that anymore; any help would be terrific.
Thanks.

Select the icon on the top right with two bars and a small tick. Then you will see a recycle bin. From there on you should know what to do.

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #7,875 of 9,131
Select the icon on the top right with two bars and a small tick. Then you will see a recycle bin. From there on you should know what to do.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back