The Astell & Kern AK240
Sep 28, 2015 at 9:14 PM Post #7,831 of 9,131
  When I first received my AK240; I spent about a week filling up the internal 256 GB.  Yes, it was a HUGE pain doing it on my MacMini with the absolute worthless Android File Transfer program.  When I finally, finally got everything transferred over; I don't ever touch the internal memory or the AFT program ever again.  I bought a 200GB MicroSD card and shuffle music around on that.  Adding and deleting albums as needed.  I put my favorite artists and albums on the internal memory so I shouldn't ever need to touch it again.  If I had to constantly update the music on the player itself; I would probably end up throwing the AK240 out the window and smashing my Mac.  It is THAT frustrating with the constant freezing, crashing, and stupid error messages about the device being locked when the screen is on during transfer.  I pop out the MicroSD card whenever I need to add any new music.  Works perfect. No more headaches.  Just suffer through the initial music transfer to internal memory and then quickly buy a large MicroSD card and save yourself all the hassle.  I tried at least two dozen USB cables, including the iRiver one.  I tried plugging it straight into the Mac, using numerous hubs (powered and not) and nothing, I mean NOTHING makes a difference.  It is the AFT program plain and simple.  

That's a pretty good plan.  My MicroSD seems to come disconnected occasionally, even though it's in the slot.  

I do agree, this unit should plug in and show up like a drive on any Windows or Mac platform.  There's no reason it shouldn't look like a simple hard drive to any computer.  Copy your files over and get to listening.  

Still-- gotta say-- these DSD files are the most pure and pristine form of music I've put through my Woo amp.  I still love vinyl, but nothing compares to the AK that I've heard.

Sep 28, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #7,832 of 9,131

That's a pretty good plan.  My MicroSD seems to come disconnected occasionally, even though it's in the slot.  

I do agree, this unit should plug in and show up like a drive on any Windows or Mac platform.  There's no reason it shouldn't look like a simple hard drive to any computer.  Copy your files over and get to listening.  

Still-- gotta say-- these DSD files are the most pure and pristine form of music I've put through my Woo amp.  I still love vinyl, but nothing compares to the AK that I've heard.

IIRC it does on Windows computers.  I 99.9 % use OSX however, MAC users are still only 6%? of computer users. A&K is playing the numbers.

Sep 29, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #7,833 of 9,131
  IIRC it does on Windows computers.  I 99.9 % use OSX however, MAC users are still only 6%? of computer users. A&K is playing the numbers.

Yeah, when I plug it into my PC it shows up as its own device named AK240, and then I can use the windows explorer to navigate both the micro sd and internal storage.  Transfers are quite slow though, much faster to put my sd card in a card reader and transfer files that way.  

Sep 29, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #7,834 of 9,131

I use SyncMate Pro to transfer files to my AK240 and AK100 II on my iMac running the latest version of OS X Yosemite (10.10.5). The version of SyncMate is 5.1.9. It works fine even though it is very slow. I have almost 12,000 tracks on them. Initial loading took about 10 hours or so, but I just let it copy them through the night.

The problem I had with SyncMate and Yosemite was it would work most of the time, but when it did fail, it would usually hang the finder and require a forced reboot of my Mac. There were also  other issues. SyncMate was so superior when it worked, but it became so unstable, I finally had to revert back to AFT.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #7,838 of 9,131
  I just got my AK240 last night and the volume knob seems loose. Is it suppose to be this way? 

I believe this is a sample to sample issue. My first 240 had a wiggly volume control, to the point where I was disappointed with the build quality. It was warranty replaced by a new 240 a month later and that 240's control was much tighter. My current SS also has a tight control.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:17 PM Post #7,839 of 9,131

I believe this is a sample to sample issue. My first 240 had a wiggly volume control, to the point where I was disappointed with the build quality. It was warranty replaced by a new 240 a month later and that 240's control was much tighter. My current SS also has a tight control.

I got to call them, mine has a wiggly USB port and wiggly volume control.

Sep 29, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #7,840 of 9,131

The problem I had with SyncMate and Yosemite was it would work most of the time, but when it did fail, it would usually hang the finder and require a forced reboot of my Mac. There were also  other issues. SyncMate was so superior when it worked, but it became so unstable, I finally had to revert back to AFT.

I know what you are saying. I have developed a habit of making sure that I do nothing else on my computer while the transfer is in progress. The Android Transfer programs don't seem to multitask very well.

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #7,842 of 9,131

Yes, the SS were very well known for their tight control, lol

Sep 30, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #7,843 of 9,131
I have RWAK240 and AK240SS, I love them very much. But i need to let them go bcuz i'm planning to upgrade to another combo (ak380 + fullsize) 
All of them in great condition, like new and come with original package and all the accessories.

If you r interested, pls feel free to pm me and we will do discuss in detail, of course i will send to u some pics of them
Many thanks, 

Sep 30, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #7,844 of 9,131
new application update (Groovers 1.3.6) is up already....go go go 
L3000.gif

Sep 30, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #7,845 of 9,131
  I had my AK240 connected to my laptop while playing files off the device and the battery was slowly going down instead of up. Is this normal? 

Same for me on my MacBook Air. In order to get a full charge on my SS (and regular 240 before), I use an Apple USB charger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back