The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #5,746 of 9,131
Anyone ever some problems with the volume knob? Some imprecision, volume going a bit up instead of down, etc?

Yes. So far it's my only problem. Occasionally for certain songs I just want to adjust a little. As it goes in halfs I try say 30 to 30.5 but it drops to 27 Etc. Haven't had anything bad in sense of maxing out but it is strange.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:51 AM Post #5,747 of 9,131
Anyone ever some problems with the volume knob? Some imprecision, volume going a bit up instead of down, etc?

Sorry to hear that. Mine is still working ok...fingers crossed.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #5,748 of 9,131

Hi Mimouille,

I had this problem with my first 240, part of the initial batch shipped to the US. It began about a month after I had it and progressively got worse, the volume moving in a highly skittish fashion. I sent it to iriver in southern CA and they acknowledged the problem and replaced my 240 with a new one. So far after 7 months, no volume control irregularities.

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #5,749 of 9,131
I bought a toslink-mini cable from amazon that looks similar to the one that came with the hugo. Chopped it down to the length i wanted and that was it.

how did you re-terminate the connector?

Oct 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #5,750 of 9,131
  Sys-concept is your best bet, custom optical interconnect at a very reasonable price.

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349&osCsid=5b4uv1grab9qu9k4fkerhoqec6

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697166/the-astell-kern-ak240/5715#post_10996004

biggrin.gif

Thank you for the suggestion. When I looked closely at the picture, the shrink had arbitrary lettering on it and it looked to be the type that uses glue inside thereby leaking out onto the cable jacket. I'm quite anal about fit and finish, even on a short cable. For those who own this cable, are my impressions correct?

Moon Audio sells a short $100 Silver Dragon toslink that passes 24/192 (the Blue Dragon doesn't according to the proprietor).

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #5,751 of 9,131

I posted awhile back that a service rep got back to me from iRiver stating that the problem was software related and would be fixed in a coming update. This was in late June. I've learned to live with it even though it can be annoying and at times dangerous to hearing and listening device. I've had extremes of rapidly going to max volume and one other time the volume rapidly dropped to zero. Since the screen swipe volume adjustment can be active while using the volume control knob, I've wondered if I inadvertently swiped the screen while turning the volume knob. You may want to be aware of what your other fingers are doing, while near the screen, and turning the knob.

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:41 PM Post #5,752 of 9,131
Guys,where can I buy this case ? It looks really handsome.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #5,754 of 9,131
Oct 29, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #5,755 of 9,131
Few questions for AK240 owners :
Even if I have a pair of headphones that can be easily driven by this DAP will I get a much better sound if I use and headphone amplifier or DAC?
Using an amp will the battery life will increase but the player will still get hot?
And for the best SQ out of iRiver is a must to use a DSD capable amplifier,if using a normal amplifier won't be able to play those high quality formats? Thank you for the response.

Oct 29, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #5,756 of 9,131
Oct 29, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #5,757 of 9,131
Hi Mimouille,

I had this problem with my first 240, part of the initial batch shipped to the US. It began about a month after I had it and progressively got worse, the volume moving in a highly skittish fashion. I sent it to iriver in southern CA and they acknowledged the problem and replaced my 240 with a new one. So far after 7 months, no volume control irregularities.

I have this problem too from time to time. Volume drops suddenly while the wheel only clicks once. Good thing to know you they offer an exchange.

Oct 29, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #5,759 of 9,131
Guys,how much time does your charge time take ?

With adaptor and PC ?

And which adaptor do you use ?

I use my HTC adaptor but it tooks so long.

I didn't try to charge with PC yet.

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #5,760 of 9,131
HI,

I don't know exact times, but compared to my iPhone, it takes a lot of time to charge, either using a pc connection or a power adapter (apple or belkin). If you charge it turned on, it's probably the slowest charging device I've seen, so I do recommend turning it off for faster charging

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back