The Astell & Kern AK240
Oct 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #5,716 of 9,131

One thing that should be said ... it is likely that the difference in sound between the 100II and 120II is smaller than the 120II and the 240. It's not just a fancy case and native DSD playback, but the circuit design and amplifier as well. Additionally, if there is a chance you would use the 240 over its lifetime as a source component on a quality speaker system, that is another reason to consider its purchase.

Sometimes in determining which item to buy, we think mainly of our current needs. Given the lifetime of these devices, it's not a bad idea to anticipate our future needs as well. If resources are an issue, then certainly go with what seems to fit your current needs; however, if the resources are easily there to purchase a better unit, I always suggest doing so. Although the whole process of upgrading can be a fun experience, in the end it is more costly than to just get the best available within one's means.

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #5,717 of 9,131
I just ordered a Hugo and will want to connect it to my 240 via the mini toslink output to the Hugo. I want something of quality, but the specific need is a custom length—4 inches.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I normally buy my toslink cables from Lifatec and I have made an inquiry about whether they can custom build a cable for me. I thought I would reach out to the community to see if there are other worthy options.

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #5,718 of 9,131

One thing that should be said ... it is likely that the difference in sound between the 100II and 120II is smaller than the 120II and the 240. It's not just a fancy case and native DSD playback, but the circuit design and amplifier as well. Additionally, if there is a chance you would use the 240 over its lifetime as a source component on a quality speaker system, that is another reason to consider its purchase.

Sometimes in determining which item to buy, we think mainly of our current needs. Given the lifetime of these devices, it's not a bad idea to anticipate our future needs as well. If resources are an issue, then certainly go with what seems to fit your current needs; however, if the resources are easily there to purchase a better unit, I always suggest doing so. Although the whole process of upgrading can be a fun experience, in the end it is more costly than to just get the best available within one's means.

I thought that the 120 II and 240 shared the same amp and circuit design with the 100 II having just a single DAC and a less powerful amp? Do you know something new?

At CANJAM, the AK guys couldn't hear a difference between the 120 II and 240 either. But one suggested that maybe the extra 240 DSD chip was active for PCM as well. Splitting hairs, I would like to say that the 240 was smoother, but I couldn't hear a difference consistently.

BTW, I see that you have the XC. The 120 II or 240 balanced to the XC sounded end game to me even in comparison to some much more expensive desktop setups I have heard it on. Wow, I am having trouble getting that sound out of my head and may have to upgrade my LCD2.

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #5,719 of 9,131
  I just ordered a Hugo and will want to connect it to my 240 via the mini toslink output to the Hugo. I want something of quality, but the specific need is a custom length—4 inches.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I normally buy my toslink cables from Lifatec and I have made an inquiry about whether they can custom build a cable for me. I thought I would reach out to the community to see if there are other worthy options.

http://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=349&osCsid=93pjpbmod5kj9gru3bu2lqgga5

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #5,720 of 9,131
That's what I thought. I've seen some comparisons between them, and I couldn't agree with what I read. of course, they were from much more experienced people than I. That being said, if I can't hear a difference, doesn't matter what others hear. I'm just hoping I am not making a mistake by not going all the way to the top. It's really not the money, it's the damn shape of the 240. I use my stuff mostly on the go...120 fits perfectly in my hand, very comfortable. Fits perfect in my pocket as well.

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #5,721 of 9,131
  I thought that the 120 II and 240 shared the same amp and circuit design with the 100 II having just a single DAC and a less powerful amp? Do you know something new?

At CANJAM, the AK guys couldn't hear a difference between the 120 II and 240 either. But one suggested that maybe the extra 240 DSD chip was active for PCM as well. Splitting hairs, I would like to say that the 240 was smoother, but I couldn't hear a difference consistently.

BTW, I see that you have the XC. The 120 II or 240 balanced to the XC sounded end game to me even in comparison to some much more expensive desktop setups I have heard it on. Wow, I am having trouble getting that sound out of my head and may have to upgrade my LCD2.

No, I don't know something new. I recall the 120II thread had comments about the 240 sounding better. I assumed there must be circuit differences between the two—my bad. My apologies to everyone for not being more thorough in determining the accuracy of my post.

On a less troubling note, I do find the 240 and XCs work very well together—at least to my ears. There is a highly addictive nature to the sound that sucks me in to the listening experience. I am using an upgraded Double Helix cable to take advantage of the balanced output.

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #5,722 of 9,131
That's what I thought. I've seen some comparisons between them, and I couldn't agree with what I read. of course, they were from much more experienced people than I. That being said, if I can't hear a difference, doesn't matter what others hear. I'm just hoping I am not making a mistake by not going all the way to the top. It's really not the money, it's the damn shape of the 240. I use my stuff mostly on the go...120 fits perfectly in my hand, very comfortable. Fits perfect in my pocket as well.

I find the shape of the 240 to be a bit disconcerting but I've only seen it in pictures. When I see it in "person" this Saturday though, I will see how it actually is. I imagine you've seen it live, right? Kinda looks like something out of M.C. Escher, huh

Oct 27, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #5,724 of 9,131

I do use my 240 as source (using optical out) to feed my home system.  Sounds great too.

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #5,725 of 9,131

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #5,727 of 9,131
Oct 27, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #5,728 of 9,131
I find the shape of the 240 to be a bit disconcerting but I've only seen it in pictures. When I see it in "person" this Saturday though, I will see how it actually is. I imagine you've seen it live, right? Kinda looks like something out of M.C. Escher, huh

Unfortunately I've only seen pictures of it. So no idea how it looks, feels, or sounds.

Oct 28, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #5,730 of 9,131
For the guys who own AK240.
Can you hear a big difference between 24/192 files and DSD? Blind test? What's battery life in real life when playing highest format?
For Audeze XC do I need to amp,will I benefit from that or straight out the DAP balanced will be a better option? Thanks, Musicday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back