The Astell & Kern AK240
Jul 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #4,262 of 9,131
Its true for all gear at this price range. Buy and enjoy it for a while then think about how to improve slowly...

Same amount of money spent...double the joy

Jul 15, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #4,263 of 9,131

Ic.. My Roxanne cable terminate with RSA connector now i'm in trouble haha. Gotta make 2 different conversion cable. My AK240 also went back for RMA. The 2.5mm port having intermittent issue.

sorry, stvc, to hear of your troubles with your 240. I had a problem with the volume control on mine after owning it a month, so I sent it back and iriver replaced it with a new one. the turnaround time was very good—I hope you have the same great experience I had.

Mine is sent back to iRiver Korea for a month now for repair... Still no news yet when my unit will be returned to my hands... :frowning2:

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #4,264 of 9,131

Mine is sent back to iRiver Korea for a month now for repair... Still no news yet when my unit will be returned to my hands... :frowning2:

What's wrong with it?

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #4,265 of 9,131
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but are you guys getting 2.5mmTRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapters to convert balanced to single-ended?

Does it do this by summing the out-of-polarity (inverted) balanced signals together to form what would normally be the ground connector?

If so, I think that's a really bad idea. The output impedance of the amp---even at 3 Ohms---will look like a near short to the other amp.
At a minimum, the inverted amps will get hot from driving a 3 Ohm load...at worst it will blow up the amp for the inverted signal.

If you're running unbalanced you should just use the unbalanced 3.5mm output.

But hey, maybe I'm missing something. Could y'all fill a fellow in here?

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #4,266 of 9,131
  What's wrong with it?

It halt a couple of times when it's plugged into the computer's USB. I tried to hard reset it but the unit was completely dead. I have to wait a few days (3~4) to let the battery dried, charge it and boot to relive it. The first time I got it back I thought it's a glitch but it happened again within a week. So I took it to ETC (HK's dealer) for repair. 

Jul 15, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #4,269 of 9,131
  Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here, but are you guys getting 2.5mmTRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapters to convert balanced to single-ended?

Does it do this by summing the out-of-polarity (inverted) balanced signals together to form what would normally be the ground connector?

If so, I think that's a really bad idea. The output impedance of the amp---even at 3 Ohms---will look like a near short to the other amp.
At a minimum, the inverted amps will get hot from driving a 3 Ohm load...at worst it will blow up the amp for the inverted signal.

If you're running unbalanced you should just use the unbalanced 3.5mm output.

But hey, maybe I'm missing something. Could y'all fill a fellow in here?

Aren't they talking about using their balanced headphones on SE amps using the female 2.5mm TRRS to male 3.5mm TRS adapter. I thought it was the other way around that was a no-no (i.e. SE headphones to balanced amps)?

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #4,270 of 9,131
It's the same thing Hifiman does with their balanced iems, is it not? The re262, re272, re600b and re400b: They are terminated balanced TRRS 3.5 and provide tails/adapters of 3.5 TRRS balanced to 3.5 TRS unbalanced single ended.

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #4,271 of 9,131
  It halt a couple of times when it's plugged into the computer's USB. I tried to hard reset it but the unit was completely dead. I have to wait a few days (3~4) to let the battery dried, charge it and boot to relive it. The first time I got it back I thought it's a glitch but it happened again within a week. So I took it to ETC (HK's dealer) for repair. 

This looks bad!

Jul 15, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #4,273 of 9,131
Aren't they talking about using their balanced headphones on SE amps using the female 2.5mm TRRS to male 3.5mm TRS adapter. I thought it was the other way around that was a no-no (i.e. SE headphones to balanced amps)?

I've read Tyll's post again. I gather he thinks we are trying, by way of an adaptor to obtain a SE signal out of the 2.5mm socket. What we are talking about is something else: having a balanced trrs plug fitted with an adapter with a 3.5mm SE adapter so that the cable can be used with the 3.5mm SE output socket. :)

Jul 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #4,275 of 9,131
  IMHO...
First you have to find out what exactly that you are not satisfied with the stock 240.  

To accelerate the burn in process, you may have it running an album/playlist on repeat for overnight then you'd have at least 8 hours on the clock for one night your normal use over the day then you might clock close to 100 hours a week.  I think the 240 will stablize a bit once past the 200 hours mark and by then you may have a more accurate assessment on what else is missing.

I understand the mod would provide more punch at low end while enriching the mid...this depends on the type of music and the IEM/headphone that you are using.  If you found the mod fits what you are looking for then that might be your answer.  

You're right.

I'll take a wait & see approach first before doing the mod.

My FitEars should be arriving soon, so there's still some time left to let the player burn-in.

Anyway, I've asked Vinnie about it & he said it doesn't make a difference since the mod itself will roughly need 100 hrs of burn-in to stabilize itself.

Thanks for the helpful advice. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back