The Astell & Kern AK240
May 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3,391 of 9,131
  I haven't got to test out a lot of phone/iem combinations with the RWAK yet. it's just starting to run in (about 200 hrs). Did a brief comparison on LCD X and AKG K3003 with RWAK240 and touch/Onkyo player/Hugo side by side:

Software:

Opus DSD Showcase #3 - various tracks
Scheherazade DSD rip - track 4 Festival in Bagdad
Michel Jonasz - La fabuleuse histoire de mister swing 1644 wav- Disc 2 track 2 Le temps passe

RWAK 240 balanced hp out > LCD X (2.5mm balanced modified stock cable) 

Coherent and eurythmic, details in abundance, great instrument separation with an upfront presentation, excellent speed and attack.

Hugo > LCD X (6.3mm stock cable)

Different presentation than 240 - details are spread wider and deeper into the stage, instruments scale larger with a touch better body and decay than 240. Very musical but with speed and attack when called for.

With the LCD X, I favour the Hugo and agree that it's a match that is hard to beat.

With AKG K3003, the gap narrows up between the 2 units, both pairs really with it. The RWAK has a slightly more upfront, highly resolving and exciting signature ; whereas, Hugo is more relaxed and musical. My preference here will really depend on my mood and setting.

(Side note: Some early reviews just in from highly regarded sources in high-end audio trade praising the AK240/balanced Uber/Tralucent Ref. 1 pairing. I'll report back when i can get hold of a pair from spkrs01. I heard the stock is going really fast last time we met.)

IMO, whether you want to add a portable amp to the RWAK 240 will really depend on the phones you want to use, e.g. My ear cannot agree with TH900 straight out of the RWAK, but if you add a ASPT05/T06 in the chain the 900 will take a 180 turn. If you pick the right phones, adding an portable amp may only have a very marginal benefit. (Different story with higher quality desktop amp though)

I bought the RWAK mainly as standalone player and to try out as a source for the Hugo so I did't get the "s" version with true line out. For me, as an all in one player, RWAK 240 is the best I heard in the market right now with quality body to match. 

Cheers.

Great write up, many thanks. I have some LCD-2s and Tralucent 1plus2s and have been using them with the AK120 into an RSA Intruder for the last few months. Do you think the RWAK240 should be able to drive them easily enough without need for an additional amp?

May 26, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #3,392 of 9,131
  Great write up, many thanks. I have some LCD-2s and Tralucent 1plus2s and have been using them with the AK120 into an RSA Intruder for the last few months. Do you think the RWAK240 should be able to drive them easily enough without need for an additional amp?

Same here, I use the Intruder with my RWAK120S (felt the stock 120 hp out didn't do 1+2 justice). With the RWAK240, the 1+2 sounded excellent (especially with balanced out) and I don't think mandates an portable amp unless you want to change the sound signature.

May 26, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #3,395 of 9,131
Nope, just hopefully your bad luck:D
If you drag and drop, don't do huge folders, I do maybe 25-40 gig max, at a time. It may take a little longer, but you tend not to have any problems.

Great quip! ("My bad luck"....lol)  But that could be the answer, just tried a small drag and it worked! Do you go song, by song or try the whole folder, i.e. album file in its entirety? Perhaps just look at the gigs?

May 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #3,396 of 9,131
Great quip! ("My bad luck"....lol)  But that could be the answer, just tried a small drag and it worked! Do you go song, by song or try the whole folder, i.e. album file in its entirety? Perhaps just look at the gigs?

It depends, my folders are set up, Rock,Pop,Jazz,and so on. I just group 10-20 albums at a time then drop into folder. You can add sub folders to any folder, Rock=Metal=speed metal=death metal. I'm a bit unorganized, but it works for me.

May 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #3,397 of 9,131
It depends, my folders are set up, Rock,Pop,Jazz,and so on. I just group 10-20 albums at a time then drop into folder. You can add sub folders to any folder, Rock=Metal=speed metal=death metal. I'm a bit unorganized, but it works for me.

Wait a minute! You drag and drop 10-20 albums at a time and I have trouble with 1? Something is not fair!

May 26, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #3,398 of 9,131
  Wait a minute! You drag and drop 10-20 albums at a time and I have trouble with 1? Something is not fair!

I did a 50+ GB drag and drop just few nights ago no problem

May 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #3,401 of 9,131
  MAC and I have transferred 40 at a time too.

Wow- 40! I can't do 2! I must be doing something incorrectly, but I can't imagine what. Perhaps in the folder creation with individual names? Should I skip that and just drag to one "Music Folder"? Why could I be so glitchy? A question to: I am attempting to drag and drop AIFF and Mp4 along with Flac and DSD. Any problem there?

May 26, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #3,402 of 9,131
  Wow- 40! I can't do 2! I must be doing something incorrectly, but I can't imagine what. Perhaps in the folder creation with individual names? Should I skip that and just drag to one "Music Folder"? Why could I be so glitchy? A question to: I am attempting to drag and drop AIFF and Mp4 along with Flac and DSD. Any problem there?

You saw my pic of the internal drive on the AK. Under music I made a folder called iTun, I clicked the arrow open, I then went into my iTunes library found all the folders I wanted to transfer (did in 2 or 3 groups) highlighted, and dragged over. Remember to make sure the folder you are copying into is highlighted when you let go of your mouse or take your finger off.

May 27, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #3,404 of 9,131

Maybe try another cable or usb port, and try not perform other tasks on your computer when it is transferring. I have had issues transferring larger batches of files from my usb hdd to ak240 on my win7 PC and the problem went away when I moved the usb hdd to another usb port not running off the same host controller.

May 27, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #3,405 of 9,131

have you tried various cables, and differant USB ports? Try and load your music by file type if you can, maybe skip the AIFF & MP4 for last. If you load all Flac first, then there is no problem, then move on to DSD, then AIFF,then MP4. You've tried everything else. It could be one bad or corrupt file messing everything up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back