The Astell & Kern AK240
Mar 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #2,551 of 9,131
I am waiting for my Roxanne's. I am reading that Rox pairs well with the AK 240. I want the music to sound very good but I'm equally committed to staying portable (currently I'm just using my iPhone).

Honestly, I've been trying to do my homework regarding DSD, PCM, FLAC, etc, etc. I can't seem to keep them all straight. I can't say I'm good enough to determine one from the next either.

My question: I'm fully and completely stuck under Apple's thumb. I have thousands of songs. About 50% ripped from CD's and the other 50% purchased on iTunes. Can I just transfer my iTunes library onto the AK 240? Am I loosing a lot and wasting a very expensive DAP?

If I stayed with iTunes, would using the iTunes Match help me in any way?

Thanks!!

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #2,552 of 9,131
I am waiting for my Roxanne's. I am reading that Rox pairs well with the AK 240. I want the music to sound very good but I'm equally committed to staying portable (currently I'm just using my iPhone).

Honestly, I've been trying to do my homework regarding DSD, PCM, FLAC, etc, etc. I can't seem to keep them all straight. I can't say I'm good enough to determine one from the next either.

My question: I'm fully and completely stuck under Apple's thumb. I have thousands of songs. About 50% ripped from CD's and the other 50% purchased on iTunes. Can I just transfer my iTunes library onto the AK 240? Am I loosing a lot and wasting a very expensive DAP?

If I stayed with iTunes, would using the iTunes Match help me in any way?

Thanks!!

I did on my AK120.  It isnt as pretty or user friendly as apple but just copy the folders (frim itunes folder) to the microSD cards and then scan.  You wil probably lose a lot of album art though unless use another program to add it to songs.   

I havent used AK240 yet but guess it is bettr UI (from reading here) than AK120.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,553 of 9,131
Yes, I transferred my entire I tunes Libary to my AK-240, it plays just fine. If you really want to hear your music in a entirely different way, I would turn to one of the other formats. AIFF , Flac,Wav. Dsd , these formats have greatly improved SQ. There are many forums here that can point you in the right direction, on how to choose, convert, and download all these different formats. You'll hear the difference when you get your AK-240, just listen to the included tracks that come with the player.

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #2,556 of 9,131
IMO
WAV is my best file for SQ and follow by AIFF is like WAV you can add album art
Than follow by Flac , you need FLAC app from. iTunes Store

Flame retardant suit on - As long as you choose a lossless format for your PCM data (FLAC, WAV, ALAC etc...) there is no difference between the sound quality. This is because the PCM stream that comes out of these files will be identical in every respect and the DAC will have no knowledge what form the originating data was stored in. This is science.

A bit more explanation: DSD and PCM are two different ways for encoding the stream of digital data, the structure of which does alter the sound quality of each. FLAC, WAV and ALAC etc..are just file formats the structure of which do not affect the data that reaches the DAC and can not have an affect on sound quality.

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #2,557 of 9,131

Flame retardant suit on - As long as you choose a lossless format for your PCM data (FLAC, WAV, ALAC etc...) there is no difference between the sound quality. This is because the PCM stream that comes out of these files will be identical in every respect and the DAC will have no knowledge what form the originating data was stored in. This is science.

All this stuff belongs in the Sound Science section. Some people believe all lossless are the same others don't. We just have to respect that.

Edit: Linked Sound Science

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #2,558 of 9,131

All this stuff belongs in the Sound Science section. Some people believe all lossless are the same others don't. We just have to respect that.

There's a sound science section, wow! I learn something new every day. 
popcorn.gif

Mar 25, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #2,559 of 9,131

Yeah, the worst and funniest comment I heard was when someone claiming that the battery model used in the DX50 to power it makes a difference to the sound. And then there's also the comment that playing music files from SD vs microSD gives a better SQ... Go figure that one out. All I know for certain is other lossless formats which require conversion to PCM will eat more CPU resources and thus drain the battery faster, but if there is built-in hardware acceleration for the conversion it should drain as little as no conversion. SQ shouldn't get affected. I mean I have to even strain my ears very hard to detect a difference when I do a side-grade upgrade on my cables. Let alone such SQ difference if any, to playback conversion. Same issue for Native DSD playback vs non-native DSD playback via conversion. IMO it's more of a battery life issue involved than a better SQ. Whoever can hear such difference must have uber golden ears and I am not even sure if I should call it placebo effect or not at that stage. Let's stay on topic.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #2,562 of 9,131
Question, the ground on 3.5 mm plug.. Which part of the connection u using, the left, right, or the common return path? Ak240 user manual did not specify the ground connection pin out on their user manuals

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #2,563 of 9,131
So after about 50 hours of listening, with the AK-240, I'm feeling that it has opened up a little, the SQ seems to be a bit better, with a hint more detail. I love the detail... Ordering up a cypher labs duet today, with all the proper connection , so I can drive my HD-800 a little better. I wish Apple or Astell& Kerns would fix my wifi connection issue.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,564 of 9,131
Question, the ground on 3.5 mm plug.. Which part of the connection u using, the left, right, or the common return path? Ak240 user manual did not specify the ground connection pin out on their user manuals

I assume the ground from the 3.5mm plug is the standard ground wiring for 3.5mm? i.e. the sleeve.

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #2,565 of 9,131
Did somebody on this forum A/B AK240 and ZX1?  Are they in the same league and is it worth it $2500 to upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back