The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 25, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,201 of 9,131

@OK-Guy, that's a tough question. In terms of innovation, one is made to be an all-in-one (including music storage and UI for playback), the other is a DAC/amp (with a very cool bespoke DAC implementation) without media storage. As for which one sounds better, it's the Hugo. The Hugo is one of the best DAC/amps I've ever heard, regardless of form factor, and I can't wait to use it as a DAC-only with some of my favorite desktop DACs.

Jude... big respect for answering that, it is now pretty obvious which way I'm going to go, ZX1>Hugo>CIEM's (I got to get me some full-sized headphones).

Jan 26, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #1,203 of 9,131

Jude... big respect for answering that, it is now pretty obvious which way I'm going to go, ZX1>Hugo>CIEM's (I got to get me some full-sized headphones).

Can't wait for the Hugo to arrive and hear for myself - hopefully next week...

Let the market sort out whether the AK240 does well or not. IMHO sounds like the price has gone too far but haven't heard it yet. The AK120 didn't make the cut for me in terms of SQ per $. Maybe the AK240 does but from initial mumbling it's not a quantum leap compared to the 120 so not hopeful. My starting point in putting together a portable rig would be where going from big rig to small rig doesn't result in sadness, disappointment and feeling of loss... I suspect there will always be a gap - how much can one live with and how much one is willing to pay is THE question and very personal.

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #1,208 of 9,131
Jude....you should really check out the Sony NW-ZX1.  It even streams hi-rez files from wireless hard drive and run on full Andriod 4.1.  It sounds sublime with my JH13pro and noticeably better than my modded AK100.  The only downside is the 128GB onboard memory.  The UI on the Sony is neck to neck with Apple iPod.  It even features a "search" function to look up songs or albums in your library.  

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #1,209 of 9,131

This should give you a clue:

No, this do not tell me if there is some electronic inside the "block" or not ?  this do not explain me why I need a "block" rather than just a special splitting cables !

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:46 AM Post #1,210 of 9,131
Jude....you should really check out the Sony NW-ZX1.  It even streams hi-rez files from wireless hard drive and run on full Andriod 4.1.  It sounds sublime with my JH13pro and noticeably better than my modded AK100.  The only downside is the 128GB onboard memory.  The UI on the Sony is neck to neck with Apple iPod.  It even features a "search" function to look up songs or albums in your library.  

Had a thought on this.... what should be doable is a swappable playlist via wifi... 128GB is a good chunk. Next step is to shove all your contents into the cloud and swap in and out anywhere. All this is software got to think its doable even via an os or software update

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #1,211 of 9,131
Had a thought on this.... what should be doable is a swappable playlist via wifi... 128GB is a good chunk. Next step is to shove all your contents into the cloud and swap in and out anywhere. All this is software got to think its doable even via an os or software update

yep this is a solution, but... it will be far easier if a 256 Gb version existed.  

And it will be a very good idea for Sony to use the very profitable and proven iPhone/iPad Business model :  An entry level unit with lower capacity to attract attention,  and then 1 or 2 higher capacity where they make more margin and that finaly some (many ?) people choose. 

Jan 26, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #1,212 of 9,131

Just to add, HM901 has balance phone out before AK240. I am interested to demo AK240 but I cannot understand what innovation it has achieved

I have the HM-901, too, and I think part of the reason I've seen a lot more AK120's in the wild than HM-901's is that most, when faced with reasonably competitive choices, will take a simpler, smaller solution, when shopping for a portable player. The HM-901's amp modules allow for excellent flexibility, but I think most would rather accept a reasonable compromise that'll work with most headphones, versus specific modules purpose-built for specific use cases. Again, this is just part of the reason, as I see it: certainly, the AK120's user interface is also (for me) significantly smoother and more intuitive.

On its balanced output, specifically, I don't think there's necessarily innovation being claimed. However, for its size--and combined with the rest of its feature set--balanced output isn't quite common yet.

Can you compare your thoughts on just the sound quality of the AK240 vs. your HM901? The HM901 (especially the balanced amp) seems to be the DAP to beat for the best sound quality - particularly as an all in one device using the internal amp.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:09 AM Post #1,213 of 9,131

I can't even find out the info whether the AK240 has an absolutely clean LO, by that I mean completely bypassing the board from dac. If not, why?

DAC(Volume is controlled here) -> LPF (Low Pass Filter / OPAMP) -> headphone jack output

The OPAMP is not for volume control, it is only there for tuning the sound. So the headphone out is technically a “line out” when at maximum volume on the AK240 (better THD+N, crosstalk etc) and best volume for connecting to your HiFi line in.

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #1,214 of 9,131

DAC(Volume is controlled here) -> LPF (Low Pass Filter / OPAMP) -> headphone jack output

The OPAMP is not for volume control, it is only there for tuning the sound. So the headphone out is technically a “line out” when at maximum volume on the AK240 (better THD+N, crosstalk etc) and best volume for connecting to your HiFi line in.

Well, like Vinnie said here, there is much more involved in making a real a "real" line-out:

" Well, if you are referring to the RWAK100-S / 120-S, there is more being done than re-routing the output to bypass the head amp.  The d/a's are changed to WM8741.  They are configured to run in "hardware mode" (not software mode), so there is no longer volume control of the dac, period.  The d/a's are configured to use their internal minimal phase filter option that the 8741 offers (not a linear phase filter, so there is no 'pre-ringing' of the output signal - so it sounds much more natural).  In the case of the 120-B, a true balanced line-out is send to a new output jack (the SE out of the AK120-S also goes to a new jack).  So there was more to it than just re-rounting to bypass the headphone output.  But as for your question:

As far as the AK240 line out implementation, unless there is some internal switching going on (solid state or relay based) that actually bypasses the headphone amp, AND somehow they configure the dac to bypass the input from the digital volume control at the same time, then I suspect that it really is a "pseudo line out."  Meaning the volume is set to max and locked via software, and the signal is still going through the headphone output stage.  I'm sure this will be clarified by A&K at some point.  I'll be taking a peek to see what is going on. 
wink.gif

A true, fixed-level line out is one that follows the d/a chip's analog output stage (and there is not volume control in the path - not even a maxed-out one).  Line-out can typically drive as low as a 5k load without strain, but not low impedance of headphones (like 600 ohm, 100, or 32 ohm, as a headphone stage is needed to provide enough current for lower impedance).  

Hope this info is helpful,

Vinnie"

Jan 26, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #1,215 of 9,131
That's not a true/clean analog line out. I would think A&K may have done something making it more difficult if not possible for Vinnie to mod this baby.

They basically discourage use of external amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back