The Astell & Kern AK240
Jan 26, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #1,216 of 9,131
Jan 26, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #1,217 of 9,131
Yes, and it will have Wifi, so we can also stream Music and the offline download capacity will be huge, but the expected Price of 2400 Dollar tempers the excitement, I guess I will wat for the Sony ZX1 wich will come at a comparable moderate Price of 550 Dollar, the latter will come with Android 4.1
I expect the competition will follow the Wifi /Android path , so it will be an exciting year to come.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:32 AM Post #1,218 of 9,131
  Yes, and it will have Wifi, so we can also stream Music and the offline download capacity will be huge, but the expected Price of 2400 Dollar tempers the excitement, I guess I will wat for the Sony ZX1 wich will come at a comparable moderate Price of 550 Dollar, the latter will come with Android 4.1
I expect the competition will follow the Wifi /Android path , so it will be an exciting year to come.

I understood that the XZ1 can streal from a Wifi HD.  

So, does this mean that if I attach a small Wifi battery operated HD to the XZ1, I can have a VERY BIG capacity that will behave exactly as if it was inside the XZ1 ?  Or do I need to transfert the files first before playing them ? 

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #1,220 of 9,131
WHY ??? This Will be very stupid from them !?

I don't know. Maybe they believe this all-in-one piece is good enough to compete with any other 1-2 punches.

Hope Fiio or any other vendors (AK included) can make one simple and user-friendly dap with only true LO and a 256GB storage by eliminating the headphone jack and other junks, just pure analog signals and let the end users to choose his own amp. Clean/separate circuit and power. It doesn't have to be one piece to be portable. What you don't want is to sacrifice sound quality for portability and other features.

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:50 AM Post #1,221 of 9,131
  Jude....you should really check out the Sony NW-ZX1.  It even streams hi-rez files from wireless hard drive and run on full Andriod 4.1.  It sounds sublime with my JH13pro and noticeably better than my modded AK100.  The only downside is the 128GB onboard memory.  The UI on the Sony is neck to neck with Apple iPod.  It even features a "search" function to look up songs or albums in your library.  

I've read this numerous times but don't think that's correct. Streaming requires a DNLA server and hot spot to generate IPs that only a few drives have at appropriately higher pricing. My experience with wireless streaming will also limit you away from doing so at the highest res. Yes, it should work but you likely wont get quite the same quality as onboard or be able to use top def without dropouts.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #1,222 of 9,131
Sorry this may be off topic, but these old ipods with excellent wolfson dac's can be upgraded to 480GB SSD today. You can also DIY to achieve a totally clean true LO. So far 256GB CF cards have been confirmed to be compatible with Rockbox.

I know these dac's are not the latest (no balanced or hi resolutions), but A&K and others should take a look at this and learn from these DIY mods, which is to get us the true LO's with lots of GB's for storage using the latest dac's.

The 480GB mSATA is retailed for $300 only. These hi-end daps don't have to live in the shadow of those micro cards. And to my ears the micro cards even sound inferior to the CF cards.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #1,224 of 9,131
Well, like Vinnie said here, there is much more involved in making a real a "real" line-out:

[COLOR=0000CD]" Well, if you are referring to the RWAK100-S / 120-S, there is more being done than re-routing the output to bypass the head amp.  The d/a's are changed to WM8741.  They are configured to run in "hardware mode" (not software mode), so there is no longer volume control of the dac, period.  The d/a's are configured to use their internal minimal phase filter option that the 8741 offers (not a linear phase filter, so there is no 'pre-ringing' of the output signal - so it sounds much more natural).  In the case of the 120-B, a true balanced line-out is send to a new output jack (the SE out of the AK120-S also goes to a new jack).  So there was more to it than just re-rounting to bypass the headphone output.  But as for your question:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]As far as the AK240 line out implementation, unless there is some internal switching going on (solid state or relay based) that actually bypasses the headphone amp, AND somehow they configure the dac to bypass the input from the digital volume control at the same time, then I suspect that it really is a "pseudo line out."  Meaning the volume is set to max and locked via software, and the signal is still going through the headphone output stage.  I'm sure this will be clarified by A&K at some point.  I'll be taking a peek to see what is going on. :wink: [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]A true, fixed-level line out is one that follows the d/a chip's analog output stage (and there is not volume control in the path - not even a maxed-out one).  Line-out can typically drive as low as a 5k load without strain, but not low impedance of headphones (like 600 ohm, 100, or 32 ohm, as a headphone stage is needed to provide enough current for lower impedance).  [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Hope this info is helpful,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000CD]Vinnie"[/COLOR]

That sounds to me that the volume control would end up chopping bits off anywhere it's below max level?

Better would be max bits out and attenuate via the analog output stage but that would require a micro stepped attenuator or something more sophisticated.

Question of the day : does the AK240 chop bits off at the volume control or more elegant implementation like the Meridians?

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:32 AM Post #1,225 of 9,131
That sounds to me that the volume control would end up chopping bits off anywhere it's below max level?

Better would be max bits out and attenuate via the analog output stage but that would require a micro stepped attenuator or something more sophisticated.

Question of the day : does the AK240 chop bits off at the volume control or more elegant implementation like the Meridians?

I don't know but it seems from the menu bellow that they have a "LO option" available.  

Question, is "how well" is that "LO Option"  implemented.  Is it only a matter of setting volume to MAX
mad.gif
 or does it involve some internal switching (solid state or relay based) that actually bypasses the headphone amp, AND somehow configure the dac to bypass the input from the digital volume control at the same time ? 

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #1,226 of 9,131
I'm popping out for a few weeks, I'll come back when there's an actual player talk about...

I've read this numerous times but don't think that's correct. Streaming requires a DNLA server that only a few drives have at appropriately higher pricing. My experience with wireless streaming will also limit you away from doing so at the highest res.Yes it should work but you likely need more than a WIFI drive and may not be able to do 24/192 etc.

Yes, I was able to stream via DLNA certified WiFi drive by Seagate to my ZX1. You can get their 1tb from Seagate for less than $200. These drives will run on battery for around 10 hours and also able to run off an AC outlet. I can't verify the bit rate during the streaming but it sure sounds like hi-rez materials to me. I believe the streaming from DLNA server is no difference than what Oppo able to do on their 103 and 105. The AK240 is also said to do wireless streaming as well if I am not mistaken.

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #1,227 of 9,131
I don't know but it seems from the menu bellow that they have a "LO option" available.  

Question, is "how well" is that "LO Option"  implemented.  Is it only a matter of setting volume to MAX :mad:  or does it involve [COLOR=0000CD]some internal switching (solid state or relay based) that actually bypasses the headphone amp, AND somehow configure the dac to bypass the input from the digital volume control at the same time ? [/COLOR]

On the other hand the LO probably means it just cranks things up to max level... For headphones and iems I do want to keep my hearing.

Sorry at €2500 is when I start expecting things like no chopped bits, no pots, split power rails and regulation between analog and digital circuits - we are after all entering the realm of hi end... You can't fake your way in....

Jan 26, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #1,228 of 9,131

No, this do not tell me if there is some electronic inside the "block" or not ?  this do not explain me why I need a "block" rather than just a special splitting cables !

Until someone takes it apart we won't know, will we?
rolleyes.gif

My guess is that it's their way of connecting the two balanced outs to two larger diameter cables without using a cable-only solution that's likely to quickly wear out or even break the small PCB-mounted connectors on the player if not handeled with care. Jude has already stated that he'll try to find out more about that connector box.

Jan 26, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #1,230 of 9,131
Well, like Vinnie said here, there is much more involved in making a real a "real" line-out:

" Well, if you are referring to the RWAK100-S / 120-S, there is more being done than re-routing the output to bypass the head amp.  The d/a's are changed to WM8741.  They are configured to run in "hardware mode" (not software mode), so there is no longer volume control of the dac, period.  The d/a's are configured to use their internal minimal phase filter option that the 8741 offers (not a linear phase filter, so there is no 'pre-ringing' of the output signal - so it sounds much more natural).  In the case of the 120-B, a true balanced line-out is send to a new output jack (the SE out of the AK120-S also goes to a new jack).  So there was more to it than just re-rounting to bypass the headphone output.  But as for your question:

As far as the AK240 line out implementation, unless there is some internal switching going on (solid state or relay based) that actually bypasses the headphone amp, AND somehow they configure the dac to bypass the input from the digital volume control at the same time, then I suspect that it really is a "pseudo line out."  Meaning the volume is set to max and locked via software, and the signal is still going through the headphone output stage.  I'm sure this will be clarified by A&K at some point.  I'll be taking a peek to see what is going on. 
wink.gif

A true, fixed-level line out is one that follows the d/a chip's analog output stage (and there is not volume control in the path - not even a maxed-out one).  Line-out can typically drive as low as a 5k load without strain, but not low impedance of headphones (like 600 ohm, 100, or 32 ohm, as a headphone stage is needed to provide enough current for lower impedance).  

Hope this info is helpful,

Vinnie"

Quote:

Not necessarily. Digital V controls are often designed to not lose bits. Simplistically, you start with more than you need. Max V can often be configured to be an identical path to fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back