The Astell & Kern AK120
Jul 17, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #2,612 of 7,071
I should have mentioned: I did try SACD-Ripper but on my mac it generates errors without doing anything.

I will fire up Parallels and see if I can use the Windows version in a VM...

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #2,613 of 7,071
Some OT talk here but relevant for those who are looking at SACD extracting for their AK120's.

@nashton, Audirvana+ seems to accept DSD ISO albums and unpacks in realtime. However I also use sacd_extract to unpack the ISO albums manually (for conversion to FLAC 24/192).

e.g. sacd_extract -i=[SACD.iso] -s doesn't work?

A few things to note about the PS3. It's the older CECHA (and CECHB?) types that are needed and they have to be on f/w 3.55 or older. Newer ones that have "killed" OtherOS can't work unless you're willing to do some soldering and reprogramming kits.

When buying used CECHA PS3's off eBay, etc. please note that the older ones were known to have their GPUs "disconnect" in heat. There are quick fixes by reheating the PS3 board and adding flux. However they are not permanent fixes. So there are lots of sellers who do this quick fix just to prove they're working and quickly flog it off.

My 1st lasted a month and I reflowed myself. It worked for another month and had a permanent death. My 2nd PS3 so far has worked for the past 8 months. So before you buy, you should ask if they have been reflowed/refluxed and how long ago. A slightly longer term fix is called re-balling (where they desolder, clean and add new solder with flux onto the GPU). Also no guarantees but should work longer than reflow/refluxing.

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #2,614 of 7,071
Quote:
I should have mentioned: I did try SACD-Ripper but on my mac it generates errors without doing anything.

Well if you figure out how to do it on PC you'd make a lot of people very happy. But to my knowledge only the PS3 is capable of this at bypassing the DRM doing a direct rip..

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #2,615 of 7,071
What errors are you getting? What are the command line options supplied? Try "sacd_extract -2 -s --input=your.iso"

Quote:

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #2,616 of 7,071
Quote:
Some OT talk here but relevant for those who are looking at SACD extracting for their AK120's.

@nashton, Audirvana+ seems to accept DSD ISO albums and unpacks in realtime. However I also use sacd_extract to unpack the ISO albums manually (for conversion to FLAC 24/192).

A few things to note about the PS3. It's the older CECHA (and CECHB?) types that are needed and they have to be on f/w 3.55 or older. Newer ones that have "killed" OtherOS can't work unless you're willing to do some soldering and reprogramming kits.

When buying used CECHA PS3's off eBay, etc. please note that the older ones were known to have their GPUs "disconnect" in heat. There are quick fixes by reheating the PS3 board and adding flux. However they are not permanent fixes. So there are lots of sellers who do this quick fix just to prove they're working and quickly flog it off.

My 1st lasted a month and I reflowed myself. It worked for another month and had a permanent death. My 2nd PS3 so far has worked for the past 8 months. So before you buy, you should ask if they have been reflowed/refluxed and how long ago. A slightly longer term fix is called re-balling (where they desolder, clean and add new solder with flux onto the GPU). Also no guarantees but should work longer than reflow/refluxing.

Wow I thought I knew a little about hardware but man, it's like your talking on another language 
blink.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #2,617 of 7,071
Quote:

So what you are saying is...everyone send their SACDs to you
size]

Thanks for the info..............................

I am on a huge DSD download adventure, can buy another AK120 soon, with the DSD purchases
size]

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #2,620 of 7,071
Quote:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/d6yu2t1x1p85gci/SACD+Extract+0.3.6.zip

Depending on if your ISO is DSD or DST you drag and drop the desired ISO into one of these folders. I use Foobar to determine file type it is by playing back the ISO files in foobar first. Then you drag and drop to the corresponding folder (which you extract from the link above). So if foobar reads the file as DSD drag and drop to the DSD folder. If its DST drag and drop to DST. Then you open up the corresponding folder and run the bat file which will execute the conversion for you and create a new folder with the DSD files all separated. once this is done you just drag and drop to your AK120 and you have quality music on the go! :).

thanks your file sharing!
very easy to use..

Listening my Cai Qin - Golden Voice I with DFF format now XD

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #2,622 of 7,071

So what you are saying is...everyone send their SACDs to you
size]

Thanks for the info..............................

I am on a huge DSD download adventure, can buy another AK120 soon, with the DSD purchases
size]

They could but may never get the SACD back from me :wink:. I bought SACDs 13 yrs ago (got into it early) and paid Y3000-Y3500 per SACD. Some of these Sony SACDs are no longer in production and cost Y10,000-Y25,000 now.
I'm so not complaining :wink:.

Anyway, I'm still hoping someone can actually do a test of the same track in two formats (DSF/DFF & 24/192 - preferably from the same source) and compare the two on the AK120. In other words, I'm trying to see if DSD on the AK120 being realtime converted to PCM is better than a prepared-in-advanced 24/192 PCM hires of the very same track. Why is this critical? Storage space being consumed on the microSDXC :D.

Oh if someone had already done the comparison and posted it, please do feel free to point me to that post. Note, not interested in different source DSD DSF vs CD 16/44.1.

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:38 AM Post #2,623 of 7,071
So as long as one can extract the ISO file from the SACD, then it can be converted to DSD format.

The only way to do it is through the old PS3 player..............................
frown.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #2,624 of 7,071
Quote:
Has anoyne have the same music track (or tracks, preferably) in dsf/dff format (whichever the AK120 supports) and a converted/downsampled version of 24/192 and compare to see if you hear differences please? I'm particularly curious of all these comments about how "DSD sounds better" on a DAP whose DAC and clock doesn't not support DSD natively. The only thing I can think of is that the realtime conversion/downsampling is doing some sonic tweaks after conversion to PCM prior to feeding into the DAC.

I have and it seems not to be working it. I got it for free from nordic sound or something. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back