The Astell & Kern AK120
Feb 12, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #5,311 of 7,071
  Which software do you use with your mac OS ? to manage the music of AK120 ?
all excuse if this question was already replied in other pages

regards
sam

I have my music segregated by  16bit and 24bit.  24bit audio is not supported by iTunes, you need to convert to 16bit or let iTunes do it for you.

16bit:  I manage this part of my catalog via iTunes.  Any and all formats @ 16/44 (mp3,FLAC,AIFF, ACC, WAV..etc)

24bit:  I manage this part of my catalog manually.  Any and all 24bit files (predominately FLAC).  I have a music sub-directory for Hi-Definition Audio.  The directory structure would look something like this: Hi-Definition Audio > Artist > Album > Track (my iTunes directory structure the same).

***  I will say this again for those of you who are looking to acquire the AK120:  take a look at your music catalog first!  If you don't have a significant amount of 24bit music, and not looking to amass a lot soon, there are cheaper alternatives like the portable rig in my sig.  If your catalog consists of 16/44 (iTunes) music, personally I think you are not getting the best bang/sound for the buck.   A  Wolfson iPod on ebay and a good portable amp will cost  you about 1/3 the price of the AK120.     

Now, if you have or are looking to amass a Hi-Resolution catalog and you have the Cans/IEMs to support them, the AK120 delivers sensational sound quality.  In other words, to reap the most benefit out of the AK120, you need all the parts: 1) AK120, 2) HD Quality Tracks, 3) High(er) end Cans/IEMs .  Cash is a given since it's a pre-requisite for this hobby.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #5,312 of 7,071
  I have my music segregated by  16bit and 24bit.  24bit audio is not supported by iTunes, you need to convert to 16bit or let iTunes do it for you.

16bit:  I manage this part of my catalog via iTunes.  Any and all formats @ 16/44 (mp3,FLAC,AIFF, ACC, WAV..etc)

24bit:  I manage this part of my catalog manually.  Any and all 24bit files (predominately FLAC).  I have a music sub-directory for Hi-Definition Audio.  The directory structure would look something like this: Hi-Definition Audio > Artist > Album > Track (my iTunes directory structure the same).

***  I will say this again for those of you who are looking to acquire the AK120:  take a look at your music catalog first!  If you don't have a significant amount of 24bit music, and not looking to amass a lot soon, there are cheaper alternatives like the portable rig in my sig.  If your catalog consists of 16/44 (iTunes) music, personally I think you are not getting the best bang/sound for the buck.   A  Wolfson iPod on ebay and a good portable amp will cost  you about 1/3 the price of the AK120.     

Now, if you have or are looking to amass a Hi-Resolution catalog and you have the Cans/IEMs to support them, the AK120 delivers sensational sound quality.  In other words, to reap the most benefit out of the AK120, you need all the parts: 1) AK120, 2) HD Quality Tracks, 3) High(er) end Cans/IEMs .  Cash is a given since it's a pre-requisite for this hobby.

You're not per chance, trying to sell a cheaper alternative rig to the AK120 are you?  
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #5,313 of 7,071
The bulk of my music is WMA 192 and I have quite a bit that I listen to on my 120 Titan and I must say I find that even this sounds dramatically better to my ears than it did on my cowon x7 or my zune...just the silent dark black background alone improves the listening experience substantially.I do agree that you get the best out of the player if you use higher quality lossless music but for me the combination of the 256GB capacity and the improvement all around in terms of sound make it worth the cost for me!Now if they can just improve the navigation and search abilities!

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #5,314 of 7,071

You're not per chance, trying to sell a cheaper alternative rig to the AK120 are you?  
biggrin.gif

I clearly am, but totally not the reason for the post.  I keep seeing people wanting to put 16/44 FLACs and mp3s on this thing, hoping they make the proper financial decision with their money; whether it be my rig or the other countless products discussed and offered on this site.

Feb 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #5,315 of 7,071
hmmm. i dont get how to edit the tags

when i look at my songs in the player it has .wav at the end of it...mind you these are all wave files...lossless.

so can i change the tag to .mp3? or will it change it to mp3?

when idte tag editor, and i click on a song, i dont see where i can change that to .mp3 or flac or anything

when i click on a song it on the right side has the name of the artist, the album, the kind of files it is ect everything seems to be correct in that aspect?

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #5,316 of 7,071
I used Metadatics to tag some of my files when i attempted to straighten things out.  I am on a macbook pro with two external hard drives.  Tell you, the issue is I would have to tag so much and there are both files on my computer and sep hard drives and on the sd cards (64g on each) and the players drive that duplicate the files that i have chosen on my computer-that means that they would have to be done separately……..yikes!

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #5,317 of 7,071
i still dont get how to edit the tag, what am i changing? its not like when i go to a application it doesnt have any artist,album, track title ect?

they are lossless files all the files have .wav at the end of the track, how can i change that? if anyone can lead me a little, in changing this. 

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #5,318 of 7,071
  i still dont get how to edit the tag, what am i changing? its not like when i go to a application it doesnt have any artist,album, track title ect?

they are lossless files all the files have .wav at the end of the track, how can i change that? if anyone can lead me a little, in changing this. 

I don't think you can add tags to WAV files..

However, since WAV files are already lossless, just convert them to other formats (FLAC, ALAC, etc) using software like XLD then add/edit tags

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #5,319 of 7,071
  I don't think you can add tags to WAV files..

However, since WAV files are already lossless, just convert them to other formats (FLAC, ALAC, etc) using software like XLD then add/edit tags

Actually tags can be added to WAV. It's weird but the X5 reads my WAV tags. It lists the album and artist. It even has the potential to list album art.

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #5,320 of 7,071
http://www.idealshare.net/xld-windows.html

This works excellent, i purchased a years subscription to it, this fixed my problem, its more or less like XLD for windows, allows you to change from .wav to .flac in batches so you can change the format of a whole album with one click. its fast and works great for the AK. i donno about album art work yet im not going to get hung up on that though.

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #5,322 of 7,071

Actually tags can be added to WAV. It's weird but the X5 reads my WAV tags. It lists the album and artist. It even has the potential to list album art.

That's weird.. AFAIK, even though you can add limited tags to WAV files, it's usually software specific as the tags do not get written into the files themselves. hence only certain players can read that info.

Lee, is it just the X5 that can somehow read the tags or have u experienced that with other players also?

Thanks

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #5,323 of 7,071
  http://www.idealshare.net/xld-windows.html

This works excellent, i purchased a years subscription to it, this fixed my problem, its more or less like XLD for windows, allows you to change from .wav to .flac in batches so you can change the format of a whole album with one click. its fast and works great for the AK. i donno about album art work yet im not going to get hung up on that though.

Hi, I found this tutorial very helpful http://www.torrentech.org/index.php?act=Help&CODE=01&HID=68

For album art in AK, just make sure the max size is 500x500 in .jpeg. Remember to add the album art before you execute your format conversion. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #5,324 of 7,071
im so mad at this point. i just dont get it.

i have main files with artist name

inside the artist name file i have albums

inside albums there are the songs labeled 1,2,3,4,5,ect

i go to put them onto the ak120 and s**t hits the fan

some artists,albums,titles ect are right some are all over the place... this is really frustrating

i cannot go and tag thousands of songs...my iriver ihp-140 didnt have any trouble and the songs are in the same format,files,ect

iriver plus 4 is useless, in iriver plus 4 it has the artist,albums,titles,songs ect.....then when i load it, they dont .load like they are on iriver...

im going to pop a clonazepam this is too much

the ak120 sounds amazing but my god why does this have to be so hard, it doesnt make any sense to me. 

Feb 14, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #5,325 of 7,071
I'm using iriver's Media Center 19 and so far no issues. Some of albums were properly tagged prior to importing into MC19 and some were not. The process to fix the genre's etc. was pretty easy. Out of 13,000 tracks imported I needed to fix around 25% and about 1% wouldn't import for some reason which I haven't worked on.  It took me a little over an hour to fix the 25% which I did while watching the Olympics to if I was concentrating I probably could have done it in half that time.  You can also try MC19 for 30 days free.  The only catch is that the Mac version does not support DAP syncing but I dual-booted my Macbook Air. 

Related, my Air only has USB 3 ports which appear to work fine for file transfers with both OSX and Windows 7 but I can't get the DAC to work yet.  VOX and MC19 both see the DAC but nothing comes out the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back