The Astell & Kern AK120
Jan 5, 2014 at 11:51 PM Post #4,982 of 7,071
Not sure if I'm using the same converter as Sam, but the cable does look different. I had not fix them yet.

Hope my can work with 256gb card as well.

Jan 6, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #4,988 of 7,071
  Can you show how you've fixed them in at the bottom please?

Is it possible to open the device and hardwire the adapters in perhaps?

Hey Goldlion,
There's not much to see except more black gaffers tape. 
I bought two of these devices:
http://dx.com/p/sd-to-microsd-transflash-card-converter-module-27001
They took a long time to arrive in the US. But the price was right!
I had to trim the back edges of the tiny circuit board because they protruded outside of the AK120 and the slightest bump unlocked them. I probably cut too much and they don't stay locked very well in the MicroSD slots. 
I used black gaffers tape to secure them so they stay put, first taping each one, then adding a cover piece to make it lay flat(er) against the bottom of the device. The flakiness of the MicroSD card mounting in the AK120 really made debugging a pain. 
It has worked well since October. 
I have over 300GB of Hires music from DVD-A, SACD and Vinyl rips. It mostly sounds great. 
I tried dragging and dropping my entire iTunes library (5000+files!) to the device but the scan hung. I probably have something funky in there that it can't read. So now I have about 100GB available on the AK120. I may try exporting my entire iTunes library as MP3 and copying that over. I'll report back. 
Copying 448GB to the AK120 was very slow. I used an older USB SD card reader and it still took all night. 

Jan 6, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #4,989 of 7,071
USB 3.0 card reader should do the trick, although I'm not sure if its transfer rate is slowed down when it hits the SD card and tries to write... was talking to STVC about these at one point...

Couldn't find them at the time.... should be barebone cable like extensions like them as stripped down or it should be at least possible to reverse engineer and extend a few cables (IMO).

Jan 6, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #4,993 of 7,071
@Samuel777,

How about measuring, or a picture, of your power button from the side...how much does it sit proud?

Mine (no rattle or loosness) sticks up no more than 1mm, probably 0.5mm.

Jan 7, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #4,994 of 7,071
Guys, there's a dedicated AK240 thread. Please redirect AK240 posts there :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/697166/the-astell-kern-ak240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back