1.iem/ciem
2. Amp
3. DAC
4. Transport
5. Cables

Of coz you can combine 2-4, 2-3 or 3-4

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #3,454 of 7,071
Aug 22, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #3,455 of 7,071
A little more on the Van Nuys Case for the AK120, latched onto my satchel shoulder strap.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #3,457 of 7,071
Quote:
A little more on the Van Nuys Case for the AK120, latched onto my satchel shoulder strap.

-_-, sigh... I hate you soooo much...

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #3,458 of 7,071
Quote:
For portable setup, should we invest from most to least in below order:

1.iem/ciem
2. Amp
3. DAC
4. Transport
5. Cables

Of coz you can combine 2-4, 2-3 or 3-4

My choice is 1>4>5 as I prefer minimal set-up.
But the transport needs to have good built-in Amp and DAC.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #3,459 of 7,071
Source is the most important piece of all - no question about that. If you can diymod, I am sure you can find a amazing source with your favorite caps with little cost including a diylod. Spend another 1 grand or even less for both iems and amp you can simply forget about what other head-fi'ers are doing. But true audiophiles are never satisfied with gears even they are satisfied with music. That's different.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #3,460 of 7,071
Quote:
Source is the most important piece of all - no question about that. If you can diymod, I am sure you can find a amazing source with your favorite caps with little cost including a diylod. Spend another 1 grand or even less for both iems and amp you can simply forget about what other head-fi'ers are doing. But true audiophiles are never satisfied with gears even they are satisfied with music. That's different.

I would dispute that. I’ve heard lots of sources - both home setups and portable - and differences are minor compared to the massive changes in sound quality from different headphones / IEMs.

We’re honestly at a point where very capable and good sources (portable or home use) are available without spending a fortune. I’m not saying there’s zero differences between sources. I’m saying they are absolutely minor compared to the differences in transducers.

Aug 22, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #3,461 of 7,071
I agree the IEM or headphone itself would be the biggest upgrade. But then again having the appropriate sources to drive them to their full potential can also be quite large. Add it all up and it's nothing small IMO.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #3,462 of 7,071
Quote:

I would dispute that. I’ve heard lots of sources - both home setups and portable - and differences are minor compared to the massive changes in sound quality from different headphones / IEMs.

We’re honestly at a point where very capable and good sources (portable or home use) are available without spending a fortune. I’m not saying there’s zero differences between sources. I’m saying they are absolutely minor compared to the differences in transducers.

I speak from my own diymod experience. I have tried many many different caps from 4.7uf to 3,000,000 uf and some difference made is big (hate to use the words day and night). It makes me to appreciate the iems and amps I have. No iems or amps will clean the dust created by the circuit, period. Even the lod's make quite difference immediately before amping. I am glad I can experiment and hear all these differences myself.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #3,463 of 7,071
It is very likely that RWAK120-S  ($1890) will be the best source available in the market. How much does one need to provision for amp, earphone/headphones and cables to sort of reach a very short but highly satisfying "end game" state?

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #3,464 of 7,071
That's really all subjective and will come down to you. Personally if I was to go to that extreme to forsake using my DAP as a standalone and requiring an amp I'd go for a TOTL amp to get all that I can. Along the Lines of the Triad L3. Otherwise I wouldn't bother as the amp section would still be a limiting factor in the equation. But I guess it's all about balancing portability and sacrificing some sound at the same time. Just depends on what your needs are.

Aug 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3,465 of 7,071
Quote:
It is very likely that RWAK120-S  ($1890) will be the best source available in the market. How much does one need to provision for amp, earphone/headphones and cables to sort of reach a very short but highly satisfying "end game" state?

This is a question impossible to answer without knowing the wants, needs, budget of the listener as well as his or her experience in audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back