The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 17, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #3,271 of 7,071
Quote:
But anyway...The SR-71a seems to be a very nice complement to the RWAK-120-S and is way smaller indeed 
biggrin.gif
  But... I understood that this AMP do NOT has Rechargeable batteries? it is correct ?  Woudn't the SR-71b be more convenient with its rechargeable batteries ? And better... with balanced Headphone ?

What headphone are you using with the SR-71a ?

I am currently using Senn HD600 and Senn IE800, but will likely also be using 1plus2 and/or JH16's in the near future.  

I had extensive discussion with Ray Samuels and ultimately decided on the 71a instead of the 71b since I am currently using all single ended and didn't feel like sending all of my headphones off for conversion to balanced.  In terms of the two 9V batteries, standard alkaline will give an estimated 65-75 hours and lithium ion batteries will give 120-140 hours of playback.  But I'll probably use rechargeable batteries anyway.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #3,272 of 7,071
Aug 17, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #3,273 of 7,071
Well, I did not realize the RWA mod would take away the volume. That seals it for me as I want to be able to use this as a stand alone player as well as attached to my amp so that has saved me a lot of money!

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #3,274 of 7,071
Quote:
Well, I did not realize the RWA mod would take away the volume. That seals it for me as I want to be able to use this as a stand alone player as well as attached to my amp so that has saved me a lot of money!

There are two levels of modification.  The RWAK120 mod will allow the player to continue to be used as stand alone.  The RWAK120-S mod that upgrades the DAC chips will require the unit to be played with an external amp.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #3,275 of 7,071
Ahh, thanks Harry, what sonic differences would one find with the mod with the volume control still on?

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #3,277 of 7,071
Quote:
Ahh, thanks Harry, what sonic differences would one find with the mod with the volume control still on?

It removes a 3 ohm resistor in the output stage and gives a direct wire connection from the amp to the headphone socket. a 3-4 ohm output impedance is not a problem for most devices and AK feel it serves some purpose. The mod will sound a bit different and perhaps better but I don't look at it as needed like it is on a AK100. The S mod should be significant for those that want to use it that way.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #3,278 of 7,071
Quote:

You view Vinne's RWAK120-s mod as "butchering" the player?  Have you heard it?   I think you and HiFiGuy528 should have a party to celebrate your decision to leave your players in stock configuration.  Congratulations.

He is probably just kidding. If the S mod doesn't sound the best of all the AK's Vinnie wouldn't have been in this mod business for so long since his imods. Having gotten into the modding hobby for my ipods, I have appreciated how much improvement these mods could bring to the table.

Now have you felt the "grand slam" with the S mod as claimed by Vinnie? If you have a multimeter, can you measure the output from the AK immediately before amping for any potential dc offsets (both channels)? I am curious about this as Vinnie used the 1,000 uf caps for the mod.

For those who are concerned about losing portability due to the S mod, the simple solution is to get both and problem solved - unless you don't mind the non-audiophile ipod 5g which you can have both with the direct-out mod.

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #3,280 of 7,071
It removes a 3 ohm resistor in the output stage and gives a direct wire connection from the amp to the headphone socket. a 3-4 ohm output impedance is not a problem for most devices and AK feel it serves some purpose. The mod will sound a bit different and perhaps better but I don't look at it as needed like it is on a AK100. The S mod should be significant for those that want to use it that way.

Thanks for that. I think I will just leave mine stock then though I am glad others are enjoying their modded versions, Vinne does great work.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #3,281 of 7,071
Quote:
He is probably just kidding. If the S mod doesn't sound the best of all the AK's Vinnie wouldn't have been in this mod business for so long since his imods. Having gotten into the modding hobby for my ipods, I have appreciated how much improvement these mods could bring to the table.

Now have you felt the "grand slam" with the S mod as claimed by Vinnie? If you have a multimeter, can you measure the output from the AK immediately before amping for any potential dc offsets (both channels)? I am curious about this as Vinnie used the 1,000 uf caps for the mod.

For those who are concerned about losing portability due to the S mod, the simple solution is to get both and problem solved - unless you don't mind the non-audiophile ipod 5g which you can have both with the direct-out mod.

The cap shouldn't affect the DC output. If it a PS bypass or output coupling. Is it's an added coupling cap, it's to block DC in the first place and will do it's job swimmingly. Higher values allow lower frequency but nothing approaching DC, even if a high value like this.

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3,282 of 7,071
Quote:

You view Vinne's RWAK120-s mod as "butchering" the player?  Have you heard it?   I think you and HiFiGuy528 should have a party to celebrate your decision to leave your players in stock configuration.  Congratulations.

Woah there, calm down. Aren't you the person that constantly tells everyone that doesn't want to get the mod for X reason, "that is your opinion and I have mine"? Well, same applies here. You are taking "butchering" out of context, I assume. Butchering, as in cutting something out - in this case modding a player from its original state is what I was saying, in jest mostly. But since you seem to really be a fan of Vinne's S mods than good for you. Some of us rather use the player for what its intended use. I'd rather spend my money on something else because honestly I feel the AK120 is good enough for portable use. I don't use my AK120 at home, so that is why I wouldn't find the mod very useful (-S Mod that is). I specifically bought the AK120 to get away from bricks. Down the line I might be interested in the RWAK120, but the S mod will never be practical for my usage.

Woosah... 

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #3,283 of 7,071
So removing the resistor with the RWA mod does what exactly? I understand why you would want to do that for IEMs, but does it offer more power for full sized phones due to less resistance?

What other sonic (or other) changes are to be expected with this mod?

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #3,284 of 7,071
Lloyd, totally off topic, your avatar brings back many memories when I was a jobbing record company hack. I used to be the guy you would see in the van outside the venue selling the artists merchandise. I did that for a number of artists in the UK back in the eighties including Wham!

Sounds glamorous but it wasn't and I am sure if I walked up to George now he would have no idea who I was, there was not even a rung on the ladder for me! :D Happy memories though!

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:21 PM Post #3,285 of 7,071
Quote:
Lloyd, totally off topic, your avatar brings back many memories when I was a jobbing record company hack. I used to be the guy you would see in the van outside the venue selling the artists merchandise. I did that for a number of artists in the UK back in the eighties including Wham!

Sounds glamorous but it wasn't and I am sure if I walked up to George now he would have no idea who I was, there was not even a rung on the ladder for me!
biggrin.gif
Happy memories though!

Haha that's unfortunate he would not remember you! I guess it's been a long time since the wham! days haha. Glad you enjoy the avatar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back