The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 16, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #3,242 of 7,071
Quote:
No I am a masochist.

deadhorse.gif

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:42 PM Post #3,244 of 7,071
Quote:
Damn I cannot believe we have been arguing whether it is possible to have a player without a screen AGAIN. This discussion has been conducted ad nauseam on the Tera thread. Some people do not mind, some people do. End of discussion. And this is the Ak120 thread and it HAS a screen...so no discussion here.

Although sometimes you use change the song in your pocket and....oh my god...it works and you are not totally lost!

I don't give a damn about what or where others discussed nor do I have time to read everyone's post. Stop whining dude.
wink_face.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #3,248 of 7,071
Let me change the subject here.  I received my RWAK120-S back from Vinnie today.  Sounds pretty awesome out of the gate and after listening to 3 or 4 of my favorite tracks I'm hearing knock your socks off improvement.  But I'm not going to review it until it has a few days to burn in.  I found that there were fairly dramatic changes in the stock AK120 after a couple of days, so I'll let the mod settle down a bit.

I will say that I couldn't be more impressed with the service Vinnie gave.  I called him several times to discuss the mod before I made my decision and he was quite generous with his time and knowledge.  Once I decided to move ahead, I asked him if he could do the mod fairly rapidly.  He promised to turn it around in a week.    He received my unit on Tuesday, and when I called him Thursday to check in, he had completed the mod just two days later.

For me, the decision hinged on 3 factors:  (1)  Was there enough added value to the mod to justify spending precious dollars on this as opposed to other possible changes/upgrades in my setup? (2)  Was the "brick" size of the AK120 plus an amp going to be tolerable to me relative to excellent portability of the stock AK120.  (3)  Was I going to have to give up my unit for several weeks or could I get it done in a week or so.

These are highly individualized factors that I imagine will vary widely among those with an AK120

On all 3 fronts I, personally, am very satisfied so far.

More to follow about sonics in a few days.

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #3,249 of 7,071
Quote:
...Was the "brick" size of the AK120 plus an amp going to be tolerable to me relative to excellent portability of the stock AK120. 

Dear Harryb, I have a RWAK100 and i am hesitating to get also a RWAK120-S for my TU-05 tube amp.

--> What portable AMP are you using with your RWAK120-S ?

thanks

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:04 AM Post #3,250 of 7,071
Quote:
Dear Harryb, I have a RWAK100 and i am hesitating to get also a RWAK120-S for my TU-05 tube amp.

--> What portable AMP are you using with your RWAK120-S ?

thanks

I'm currently using a Ray Samuels RS-71a.  It is virtually the same size at the AK120.

I've read and heard awesome reports about the TU-05.  Of course, it's a much larger amp........falls more in the "transportable" realm as opposed to "portable".

I would be very interested in your assessment of the sonics of the AK120 with the TU-05.

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #3,252 of 7,071
Quote:
I'm with you; I like the look of aged and used leather; in fact, that is one of the best properties leather has. Imagine a motorcycle jacket new, and then aged. Who would want it to look new forever?

There's a big difference between aged and "ran through the grinder" lol. Good leather is generally known to be tough and durable. If I run my finger nails through my leather seats in my car it won't leave huge gashes in it :wink:.

Aug 17, 2013 at 4:29 AM Post #3,253 of 7,071
Quote:

I'm currently using a Ray Samuels RS-71a.  It is virtually the same size at the AK120.

I've read and heard awesome reports about the TU-05.  Of course, it's a much larger amp........falls more in the "transportable" realm as opposed to "portable".

I would be very interested in your assessment of the sonics of the AK120 with the TU-05.

The TU-05 is indeed VERY good with a very surprising (for a tube amp) silent background.  Agree that it is more transportable than Portable, this is why I also keept an eye on it's new smaller brothger, the TUR-06.

And I have built a small case to (trans)port my audio solution.  

Everything needed fit in this case:  RWAK100 + TU-05 + Fostex TH900 + Chargers + cables...

But anyway...The SR-71a seems to be a very nice complement to the RWAK-120-S and is way smaller indeed 
biggrin.gif
  But... I understood that this AMP do NOT has Rechargeable batteries? it is correct ?  Woudn't the SR-71b be more convenient with its rechargeable batteries ? And better... with balanced Headphone ?

What headphone are you using with the SR-71a ?

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #3,255 of 7,071
gosh, this is what i feared, ak120s and good amp, damn i want to know more how it sounds compared to not moded ak120

Users who are viewing this thread

Back