The Astell & Kern AK120
Aug 17, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #3,286 of 7,071
Oh yeah, I was the lowest of the low so I doubt it very much!

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #3,287 of 7,071
Quote:
A question for lee730, as I know you have both AK120 and 8.A, how do you like the two of them together? How would you describe the fit between them? Believe that you have a more trained ear than me. Any thoughts? Any recommendation for a noob like me?

Thanks

Hey Stimul I actually sold my 8As a while back. I'm currently getting the Spiral Ears SE5s (should be shipping out by Monday the latest). Personally the 8A was not up to my expectations. It was way over-hyped and the experience I endured to get a completed IEM without defects was a joke. Basically they had it out for me and were purposely giving me ****. I would never give them my business again just based on that experience alone.... But regarding the sound. It's not what the hype will lead you to believe. At least not my pair that is.

The best I've heard the 8As honestly sound was out of my Hisound Nova N1 player. Otherwise there was generally way too much bass, cluttered mid-range, and the presentation was dull overall. I did however find the 8As to pair best on the 1.21 firmware as it leaned out the bass noticeably  (I think 1.21 lacked power) but this worked well with the 8As. Still not the best sounding IEM for me. I even feel the Flat 4 Sui and Kaede are superior to the 8As personally.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3,288 of 7,071
Quote:

Woah there, calm down. Aren't you the person that constantly tells everyone that doesn't want to get the mod for X reason, "that is your opinion and I have mine"? Well, same applies here. You are taking "butchering" out of context, I assume. Butchering, as in cutting something out - in this case modding a player from its original state is what I was saying, in jest mostly. But since you seem to really be a fan of Vinne's S mods than good for you. Some of us rather use the player for what its intended use. I'd rather spend my money on something else because honestly I feel the AK120 is good enough for portable use. I don't use my AK120 at home, so that is why I wouldn't find the mod very useful (-S Mod that is). I specifically bought the AK120 to get away from bricks. Down the line I might be interested in the RWAK120, but the S mod will never be practical for my usage.

Woosah... 

Got it.  You should re-read the posts.  I've made it very clear the S mod certainly isn't for everyone and is a very individualized decision since it will require use of external amplification.  I really struggled with this issue as I made my own decision.   I was just responding to the condescending tone of your posts that seem to dismiss the possibility that the AK100 and 120 S mods may be a very reasonable thing for some people to do. 

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "intended usage"?  If someone decides to use an amp with a DAP that already has a built in amp, are they moving out of "intended usage"?  If someone modifies a piece of audio equipment, have they veered from "intended usage"?  Maybe you should say they are using the player for something other than YOUR intended usage since you might have no idea what THEIR intended usage is.  

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #3,289 of 7,071
Quote:

Got it.  You should re-read the posts.  I've made it very clear the S mod certainly isn't for everyone and is a very individualized decision since it will require use of external amplification.  I really struggled with this issue as I made my own decision.   I was just responding to the condescending tone of your posts that seem to dismiss the possibility that the AK100 and 120 S mods may be a very reasonable thing for some people to do. 

Also, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "intended usage"?  If someone decides to use an amp with a DAP that already has a built in amp, are they moving out of "intended usage"?  If someone modifies a piece of audio equipment, have they veered from "intended usage"?  Maybe you should say they are using the player for something other than YOUR intended usage since you might have no idea what THEIR intended usage is.  

Harry technically he is right on that last point. If that wasn't the case your warranty wouldn't be voided when getting it modified from it's original form (for it's original, intended usage).

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #3,290 of 7,071
Quote:
Harry technically he is right on that last point. If that wasn't the case your warranty wouldn't be voided when getting it modified from it's original form (for it's original, intended usage).

Sure Jim, but as I read the posts, I don't think this was in the context of voiding the warranty.  Everyone is well aware the physical mods void the warranty.  That's why Vinnie warrants the unit after it's been modified.  Greed and HiFiMan were referring to its "intended use" as a portable without external amplification.  That was clear from this post:

Quote:
I have no interest in the mod.  I did not find the AK120 to have any issues with my Sony XBA-4 (8 Ohms).  The pairing sounds great.  

Modding the AK120 to pair with an amp defeats the purpose of this player.  It was designed to used as a single unit player, not as portable transport & DAC, not stacked on top of an amp.  Which turns it into an ugly brick of gear.  yuck!

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:05 PM Post #3,291 of 7,071
Well at the end of the day whatever makes you happy :). That is good though that Vinnie does warranty the unit after modification. But what does that entail and for how long?

Now if Vinnie was able to do such a mod without removing the ability to still use it as a single unit solution I'd be much more interested in this. As I mentioned earlier making the coaxial a dedicated LO with just as good of a signal (if possible) with the S mod would be very appealing for me. That way you'd be able to still use the unit as a single unit (probably still benefit from the updated DAC chips) and use it as a dedicated LO for a purer signal.

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #3,292 of 7,071
I am going to say it out loud the mod cost too much and the device is already expensive it is just not wise to mod a device that is bound be obsolete in less than an year (likely by iriver themselves! )

What would be interesting is if AK200 was exactly what AK120-S is right now with expection that it finally has a true line out? could it be a rumour or did I hear something new?

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #3,293 of 7,071
Quote:

Read iRiver's marketing hype. It all points to an all in one solution that yields high quality sound. If the intended usage was to piggy back it to an amp (i.e using as a transport only) why wouldn't they add a true lineout? Why would the device be as small as it is? I understand that everyone has different priorities and different ideas of what makes them happy, I expressed mine. My condescending tone? To who? I didn't quote you, I wasn't referring to you, and like I said in my previous post the comment was made mostly in jest. Your taking what I said personally for whatever reason I don't know but this argument (?) has no right or wrong answer - we both have started that, so I'm not sure where your snark remarks are coming from. 

Just to be clear - there aren't many products that are sold with the intended purpose for them to be modded. That is why mods are done by alternative companies and means. I never pushed my opinion on anyone, I was simply stating my opinion why this mod would void what I believe is the true purpose (and #1 selling point) of the device is. If you want a DAP just to use as a transport, why not get a DX100 or even the HM-901? Obviously your mileage will vary. 

Aug 18, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #3,296 of 7,071
Does the Ak120 have an optical out?

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #3,298 of 7,071
Quote:
It really is silly how the ak120 doesn't have a line out considering how expensive it is and its totl status.

I personally feel it is less of an issue as the phone out is clean and have enough output to simple double as a line out in a traditional sense.  We wanted line out as the phone out signal is usually less "pure".    

In AK120's case I'm happy with the choice of combo phone/optical out, plus optical in and usb as the connectivity option to strike a good balance of physical dimension/versatility.  Probably my view is also skewed as I do not use it with portable amp as I am not finding whatever increase in say pairing with a 71A or rx3 is worth doubling up the size.

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #3,299 of 7,071
It sounds really good with the T1 but I agree in terms of portability its really pushing it at that point. But while at home it fills the need :).

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #3,300 of 7,071
Quote:
Ahh, thanks Harry, what sonic differences would one find with the mod with the volume control still on?

The RWAK120 reduces the output impedance from the stock of 3ish or 4ohm.  This WAS a big deal for AK100 as it have stock 22ohm.  Not sure how big a deal this is for AK120.

The RWAK120-S replaces the stock WM8740 dac chips with WM8741 dac chips that provide a high SNR ratio, but at the expense of the digital POT meaning you need to pair it with an amp to adjust volume.

These are very different mods and for very different purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back